Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2022, 03:44 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times

Advertisements

I know very nice kids in IEP programs. Is that the same as special Ed? They have some learning issues but are very well behaved otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 03:45 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I'd be interested to hear what the parents of the other students are saying about the situation.
Most special ed parents usually understand how difficult they can be and are more compassionate than those parents who can't relate to what special ed parents go through. I don't think he was in a mainstream classroom.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:46 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
We will just have to disagree.
Personally, if it were my kid and the district was doing nothing (this is the third incident with the teacher and there have been issues with other kids) I would be taking the reins and making a lot of noise.
I agree the district should be the ones providing alternatives and direction and finding the best fit, but they are not so it falls back on the parents to pressure the powers that be.
Do we know that they aren't? Many assumptions being made here.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Haven't read the whole thread but it's somewhat obvious that no 5 year old "beat a teacher into the hospital". She had a panic attack. She may not be in very good physical or mental health.

Imo, the school has failed him & no 5 year old should be facing a criminal charge when he clearly has fallen through the cracks. This type of violent outburst is just screaming Neurodevelopmental problems.

If a child is not identified for early intervention (typically occurs around the age of 3), they may not be identified until the 2nd grade, which is when most SPED identification is tested for. A 5 year old would be in between those two benchmark opportunities. What he needs in lieu of criminal charges; is an immediate workup, testing & diagnostics to set up an IEP & behavioral plan. He also needs to see a Neurologist & probably an Immunologist because sudden onset of violent outbursts (if he had no prior history) can indicate a PANDAS/PANS issue, which can be treated medically.

https://med.stanford.edu/pans/news/brain-attack.html

My autistic child is exactly this. At 6 years old he was as big as a 6th grader & could pick up couches & throw them. He ripped a bolted gate out of the walls like it was secured with thumbtacks, lol. Left a rubble of drywall all over the stairs & just kept going on his merry way. And he wasn't even angry. It was just "in the way."

I think the super-strength comes from faulty neurotransmitters that don't process pain sensing appropriately. Like when they used to talk about people on PCP gaining "superhuman strength" but it wasn't because the drug gave them mega-muscles, it was because they couldn't feel the body's signals to "Stop; that hurts", because the PCP had interrupted their neurotransmitters.

When my son was 14, he developed puberty onset aggression with explosive rage. A result of his damaged immune system (he also has PANS) not being able to mediate puberty androgens. He's nicknamed Hercules at school. I call it "El Toro Mode" & he's incredibly dangerous when he's triggered. The CPI training that normally works for autistic students isn't appropriate for him anymore due to his superior size & strength. If there are not at least 4 big men available to respond, the principal orders an "evacuate & stand down": Move students & staff to safety, observe from a distance & call ... me. Yay. The last "evacuate & stand down" occurred when 2 of their male staff were out with covid. He broke windows out & ripped the glass panes from their tracks & was hurling them into the air. Threw desks into the ceiling & was pulling ceiling tiles & ductwork out. Snapped wooden tables in half.

He caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage but they did not press charges because they knew the damage occurred due to a failure to maintain a safe environment (he's in a BOCES program for children with severe needs). They did not have adequate staff. I was angry because my child was left handling broken glass panes (I have a friend who's autistic son cut an artery open during a meltdown when he broke the windows), with chunks of ceiling raining down on him from above.

He has at least one physically violent meltdown a day. I handle him at home by myself. But I'm a Ninja (not really). I'm 5'11' but he's twice my weight.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...lmer-park.html

I am not prone to panic attacks. I have a formal agreement with the school that incorporates ME as part of the behavioral plan. When he's in school I stay less than 20 minutes of a drive away from the school & they are to call me immediately if a seclusion & restraint is underway. I respond, de-escalate him & bring him home. However, with covid rates on the way down, the number of emergency phone calls I get every week are decreasing, as kids like my son are "what they do". Adequate staff with adequate training is the key.

I don't agree with there being "bad seeds". I think these kinds of issues are neuropsychiatric in nature & there hasn't been enough good research into neurodevelopment & pathological triggers in our modern day world. My son for sure isn't a bad seed. His school staff is actually enamored with him. He's the coolest kid I know, just a force to be reckoned with due to his disability. PANDAS treatment is working & I'm convinced that when the puberty androgen surge subsides (hopefully around ages 19-22), so will his behaviors. This is not for the faint of heart ... Which is what I expect that teacher is.

Also, I know that this 5 year old's district better get their ducks in a row now & get this student on a good behavioral plan & SPED IEP before he hits puberty. They can't just be calling the police or expelling him. This is their wake up call.

Yes, it is. Something (can't go into it on this thread) has gone terribly wrong. Our children are suffering & our society will be weakened because of it.
I always appreciate your take on things, and your challenges with your child, but the news story indicated that the teacher was attacked with fists and feet when she was on the ground. I do not understand how she ended up on the floor, but this was not her first brush with this kid. Her injuries required surgery. I do not think we need to blame her injuries on her, or on her bad health, especially when we do not know.

The child might be autistic, or he might be the victim of another condition. There are apparently psychopathic children. Obviously, his behavior is a problem for his family, his school, his community.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:24 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Wow i didnt realize she needed surgery. On what exactly? I'm sorry but i could not restrain myself for anyone if they were hurting me that badly. She must be a special person to not have tried to hold him back.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I always appreciate your take on things, and your challenges with your child, but the news story indicated that the teacher was attacked with fists and feet when she was on the ground. I do not understand how she ended up on the floor
From the news articles, she was knocked over and hit her head on something. She could have hit her head on a table, desk, bookcase, or even the hard floor.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:19 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Wow i didnt realize she needed surgery. On what exactly? I'm sorry but i could not restrain myself for anyone if they were hurting me that badly. She must be a special person to not have tried to hold him back.
I'm sure she did try to hold him back, what makes you think she didn't? But once on the floor with a head injury, it would have been more difficult to do so, which is why she radioed for help.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Hopefully you don't actually work in schools if you think using a stun gun on a child is appropriate.
I don't know what could be done with this child, who has 3X sent his teacher to the hospital.

What would you do, honestly?

You can't cage him, you can't leash him, you can't lock him in solitary, and no, you can't routinely shock him.

What would you do - sincerely?

Old 03-08-2022, 05:38 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I never said anything about institutions, I said they'd be in the Special Services school district 30 years ago, not the mainstream public school. If you re-read my post I said "except the special services school". Districts don't send kids to SS as quickly now, one because many parents don't want that, many kids benefit from more inclusive environments, and also because the home district has to pay for it and it's $$. Everyone wants their property taxes low and school budgets get voted down by residents all the time.
Oh you're absolutely correct, I totally messed that up.

Honestly I jumped at the chance to get my son into BOCES. I knew he was unsafe & I knew his district school was not capable of keeping him safe. They actually evacuated an entire floor during one of his last meltdowns. He was coming home covered in bruises & more than once I arrived to pick him up only to find him crumpled on the floor sobbing, with 4 big guards standing over him.

And I know that once a school admits they can't handle a SPED student, they are required by law to pay for the "more restrictive setting". And sometimes they balk at that. In my son's case, they did not. They were literally terrified of him. And sometimes parents balk at the "more restrictive setting". In my son's case; I did not. The thought of my severely autistic child dominating the school staff that were there for HIS safety too, was terrifying to ME. Uh-uh, no way. If you are in charge of my child & you are not safe, then neither is he.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I always appreciate your take on things, and your challenges with your child, but the news story indicated that the teacher was attacked with fists and feet when she was on the ground. I do not understand how she ended up on the floor, but this was not her first brush with this kid. Her injuries required surgery. I do not think we need to blame her injuries on her, or on her bad health, especially when we do not know.
Yeah but what kind of surgery? If she had internal or brain injuries, she wouldn't have been released. Broken bones? Aggravated an old back injury? And no 5 year old should be able to get a grown woman on the ground. Even my 5 year old who was the size of a 10 year couldn't get me, or any of his school staff on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
No, she should have tried to hold him back, with appropriate CPI training maneuvers. Three previous injuries from the same student on the same teacher? I think she's looking for an award. Like a cash settlement from the school. Now I want to know why she was in the safe room with him. She should not have been in there. Nobody is supposed to be in the room until the student has de-escalated.

** editing to add that I just saw that she had a concussion from the student "pouncing on her", causing her to fall backwards. So she obviously did not have him in a safety hold. She's responsible, or the district is, if they failed to have her trained.

Last edited by coschristi; 03-08-2022 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-08-2022, 08:44 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
I believe the concussion happened during a previous episode when he pulled a bookcase over on top of her, unless she got another concussion this time too. Blaming the teacher and accusing her of looking for money without any evidence is beyond deplorable. Expecting her to give up all right to privacy of her own medical information is just appalling. It's no wonder teachers are fleeing the profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events