Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2022, 10:28 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
A grown woman should at least be able to handle a five year old. Especially nowadays as full grown men can declare themselves to be women. Next up, a DIV 1 football player gets mauled to death by a shih tzu puppy.
Have you ever seen a five year old out of control? It can be scary. Most kids, yes you can control them but there are some that are so out of control it can be near impossible. We also don't know how old the teacher was. This child has either emotional issues such as Aspergers or parenting lacks so much so that this kid is totally out of control. There was another child involved also. How much so is not reported. Also, unlike when I went to school, teachers aren't allowed to touch a child, especially one so young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 10:36 AM

36,500 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm kind of surprised this is getting so much press. If i were that teacher I would not want my face plastered all over the news for everyone in the country to see. Kind of messed up. Let's see the mother of the kids who did this.
The mother?
Kid dosent have a father? Emaculate conception?

Old 03-08-2022, 10:38 AM

36,500 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Maybe it's the teacher who can't handle him. Again it is not uncommon for special ed kids to act out like this. Well-trained people usually can handle it. Look at CoChristie's son, he is huge and becomes violent but was never restricted from school, just the right school, classroom and teacher needs to be found. You can't remove a child from school forever at age 5, that's ridiculous.

If you went to a special school for say developmentally disabled kids, you would know this is common. The 2 most dangerous settings for therapists in my experience are 1. Developmental disability settings and 2. Brain injury settings.
Third time and he has injured other children as well. If this particular teacher cant handle the children, why have they not assigned a different teacher to him.
I still do not think a teacher should have to be "handling" children to this degree. If a child needs that much handling they should not be in main stream educational systems.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:43 AM

16,326 posts, read 8,162,213 times
sure show the dad too if it's possible to figure out who/where he is

Old 03-08-2022, 10:45 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Third time and he has injured other children as well. If this particular teacher cant handle the children, why have they not assigned a different teacher to him.
I still do not think a teacher should have to be "handling" children to this degree. If a child needs that much handling they should not be in main stream educational systems.
Thats' what special ed is. There are a lot of kids that need this much "handling". She might not be a certified special ed teacher, I don't know. In the district I worked in, they had a hard time finding a replacement when the pregnant classroom teacher had to go out several months early, and they used non-certified special ed teacher on an emergency basis. I don't know how well trained she was, or whether this child was in the appropriate classroom or with the appropriate teacher. If he wasn't though, the fault lies with the school not the child or his parents. A good special ed teacher wouldn't have had kids tossing desks around the class...it was not just him but another student as well. It doesn't sound like she had good control of the class. There are a few special ed teachers I worked with who I could almost guarantee would be able to control this class.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:49 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's today's update. The boy (who is in ESE, which is current terms for special ed apparently) will not be charged.

Further explanation on the incident.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...chool/2707593/
Good heavens! This is an out of control kid. There needs to be a strong intervention.

Teacher with 13 years experience is attacked and brought to the floor by a 5 year old? And sustaining injuries which require surgery! This is extreme, I have to think teacher has an underlying health problem. And, I can’t imagine her going back to a classroom again. The kid needs to be in a highly supervised, tightly controlled educational setting. You hear about kids who seem to be born psychopaths. He might be this. Of course, there is no way for us to know. Possibly, he is a product of a violent, chaotic home. He is out of control.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:54 AM

16,326 posts, read 8,162,213 times
I honestly wouldn't know what to do...sounds like the school didn't know either. I feel bad for the mother/father if they're even in the picture. I'm sure they had no idea they'd up with a 5 year old making national headlines for something like this. Sad.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:06 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Haven't read the whole thread but it's somewhat obvious that no 5 year old "beat a teacher into the hospital". She had a panic attack. She may not be in very good physical or mental health.

Imo, the school has failed him & no 5 year old should be facing a criminal charge when he clearly has fallen through the cracks. This type of violent outburst is just screaming Neurodevelopmental problems.

If a child is not identified for early intervention (typically occurs around the age of 3), they may not be identified until the 2nd grade, which is when most SPED identification is tested for. A 5 year old would be in between those two benchmark opportunities. What he needs in lieu of criminal charges; is an immediate workup, testing & diagnostics to set up an IEP & behavioral plan. He also needs to see a Neurologist & probably an Immunologist because sudden onset of violent outbursts (if he had no prior history) can indicate a PANDAS/PANS issue, which can be treated medically.

https://med.stanford.edu/pans/news/brain-attack.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Some children with autism can have violent outbursts that can be difficult for even grown men to restrain. They cannot self-soothe. They can be very, very strong. I have no problem believing the credibility of this story.
My autistic child is exactly this. At 6 years old he was as big as a 6th grader & could pick up couches & throw them. He ripped a bolted gate out of the walls like it was secured with thumbtacks, lol. Left a rubble of drywall all over the stairs & just kept going on his merry way. And he wasn't even angry. It was just "in the way."

I think the super-strength comes from faulty neurotransmitters that don't process pain sensing appropriately. Like when they used to talk about people on PCP gaining "superhuman strength" but it wasn't because the drug gave them mega-muscles, it was because they couldn't feel the body's signals to "Stop; that hurts", because the PCP had interrupted their neurotransmitters.

When my son was 14, he developed puberty onset aggression with explosive rage. A result of his damaged immune system (he also has PANS) not being able to mediate puberty androgens. He's nicknamed Hercules at school. I call it "El Toro Mode" & he's incredibly dangerous when he's triggered. The CPI training that normally works for autistic students isn't appropriate for him anymore due to his superior size & strength. If there are not at least 4 big men available to respond, the principal orders an "evacuate & stand down": Move students & staff to safety, observe from a distance & call ... me. Yay. The last "evacuate & stand down" occurred when 2 of their male staff were out with covid. He broke windows out & ripped the glass panes from their tracks & was hurling them into the air. Threw desks into the ceiling & was pulling ceiling tiles & ductwork out. Snapped wooden tables in half.

He caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage but they did not press charges because they knew the damage occurred due to a failure to maintain a safe environment (he's in a BOCES program for children with severe needs). They did not have adequate staff. I was angry because my child was left handling broken glass panes (I have a friend who's autistic son cut an artery open during a meltdown when he broke the windows), with chunks of ceiling raining down on him from above.

He has at least one physically violent meltdown a day. I handle him at home by myself. But I'm a Ninja (not really). I'm 5'11' but he's twice my weight.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...lmer-park.html

I am not prone to panic attacks. I have a formal agreement with the school that incorporates ME as part of the behavioral plan. When he's in school I stay less than 20 minutes of a drive away from the school & they are to call me immediately if a seclusion & restraint is underway. I respond, de-escalate him & bring him home. However, with covid rates on the way down, the number of emergency phone calls I get every week are decreasing, as kids like my son are "what they do". Adequate staff with adequate training is the key.

I don't agree with there being "bad seeds". I think these kinds of issues are neuropsychiatric in nature & there hasn't been enough good research into neurodevelopment & pathological triggers in our modern day world. My son for sure isn't a bad seed. His school staff is actually enamored with him. He's the coolest kid I know, just a force to be reckoned with due to his disability. PANDAS treatment is working & I'm convinced that when the puberty androgen surge subsides (hopefully around ages 19-22), so will his behaviors. This is not for the faint of heart ... Which is what I expect that teacher is.

Also, I know that this 5 year old's district better get their ducks in a row now & get this student on a good behavioral plan & SPED IEP before he hits puberty. They can't just be calling the police or expelling him. This is their wake up call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Heck, when I was in school (OK, way back when), even the Special Ed students weren't violent. Another feature of modern society, I guess.
Yes, it is. Something (can't go into it on this thread) has gone terribly wrong. Our children are suffering & our society will be weakened because of it.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:13 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Haven't read the whole thread but it's somewhat obvious that no 5 year old "beat a teacher into the hospital". She had a panic attack. She may not be in very good physical or mental health.

Imo, the school has failed him & no 5 year old should be facing a criminal charge when he clearly has fallen through the cracks. This type of violent outburst is just screaming Neurodevelopmental problems.

If a child is not identified for early intervention (typically occurs around the age of 3), they may not be identified until the 2nd grade, which is when most SPED identification is tested for. A 5 year old would be in between those two benchmark opportunities. What he needs in lieu of criminal charges; is an immediate workup, testing & diagnostics to set up an IEP & behavioral plan. He also needs to see a Neurologist & probably an Immunologist because sudden onset of violent outbursts (if he had no prior history) can indicate a PANDAS/PANS issue, which can be treated medically.

https://med.stanford.edu/pans/news/brain-attack.html

My autistic child is exactly this. At 6 years old he was as big as a 6th grader & could pick up couches & throw them. He ripped a bolted gate out of the walls like it was secured with thumbtacks, lol. Left a rubble of drywall all over the stairs & just kept going on his merry way. And he wasn't even angry. It was just "in the way."

I think the super-strength comes from faulty neurotransmitters that don't process pain sensing appropriately. Like when they used to talk about people on PCP gaining "superhuman strength" but it wasn't because the drug gave them mega-muscles, it was because they couldn't feel the body's signals to "Stop; that hurts", because the PCP had interrupted their neurotransmitters.

When my son was 14, he developed puberty onset aggression with explosive rage. A result of his damaged immune system (he also has PANS) not being able to mediate puberty androgens. He's nicknamed Hercules at school. I call it "El Toro Mode" & he's incredibly dangerous when he's triggered. The CPI training that normally works for autistic students isn't appropriate for him anymore due to his superior size & strength. If there are not at least 4 big men available to respond, the principal orders an "evacuate & stand down": Move students & staff to safety, observe from a distance & call ... me. Yay. The last "evacuate & stand down" occurred when 2 of their male staff were out with covid. He broke windows out & ripped the glass panes from their tracks & was hurling them into the air. Threw desks into the ceiling & was pulling ceiling tiles & ductwork out. Snapped wooden tables in half.

He caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage but they did not press charges because they knew the damage occurred due to a failure to maintain a safe environment (he's in a BOCES program for children with severe needs). They did not have adequate staff. I was angry because my child was left handling broken glass panes (I have a friend who's autistic son cut an artery open during a meltdown when he broke the windows), with chunks of ceiling raining down on him from above.

He has at least one physically violent meltdown a day. I handle him at home by myself. But I'm a Ninja (not really). I'm 5'11' but he's twice my weight.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...lmer-park.html

I am not prone to panic attacks. I have a formal agreement with the school that incorporates ME as part of the behavioral plan. When he's in school I stay less than 20 minutes of a drive away from the school & they are to call me immediately if a seclusion & restraint is underway. I respond, de-escalate him & bring him home. However, with covid rates on the way down, the number of emergency phone calls I get every week are decreasing, as kids like my son are "what they do". Adequate staff with adequate training is the key.

I don't agree with there being "bad seeds". I think these kinds of issues are neuropsychiatric in nature & there hasn't been enough good research into neurodevelopment & pathological triggers in our modern day world. My son for sure isn't a bad seed. His school staff is actually enamored with him. He's the coolest kid I know, just a force to be reckoned with due to his disability. PANDAS treatment is working & I'm convinced that when the puberty androgen surge subsides (hopefully around ages 19-22), so will his behaviors. This is not for the faint of heart ... Which is what I expect that teacher is.

Also, I know that this 5 year old's district better get their ducks in a row now & get this student on a good behavioral plan & SPED IEP before he hits puberty. They can't just be calling the police or expelling him. This is their wake up call.

Yes, it is. Something (can't go into it on this thread) has gone terribly wrong. Our children are suffering & our society will be weakened because of it.
Also regarding students in the past, 30 years ago those kids wouldn’t have been in public schools except the special services school. That’s why that poster didn’t see special Ed kids acting out violently. So I don’t think special Ed kids are different today than in the past.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:19 AM
KCZ

4,667 posts, read 3,662,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

Sorry but I don't believe a "panic attack" led to the teacher requiring intubation and surgery (unless maybe all the doctors had a panic attack too). Nor does suffering a concussion because a bookcase was pulled over onto her head in a previous incident justify blaming her physical or mental health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events