Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 11:04 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's needed because for some reason Americans today think that police are the solution to all problems, including dealing with school discipline problems. We totally defunded the mental hospitals to hire more cops. Who needs mental health care, when you have cops? Whatever the problem is, call the cops. Kindergartener acting up? Call the cops.
Obvious you or anyone you know never had a child as a student in LAUSD, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 11:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I have a hard time picturing this. My kids weren't always angels, but they weren't violent or destructive. Something else is going on with that child.
Yes, the kid probably has ODD or some other mental disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That might be a big part of it. Just as how violent mental patients were not allowed to walk the streets, I would guess that violent mentally unstable children were not allowed in school. But still the schools had problem students, and somehow managed to deal with them.
There was a time when schools were not required to educate all students. Students who couldn't be dealt with were expelled, asked not to come back.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
To me, what gets me the most, is this 5 year old was taken away by the cops, they're seriously thinking of charging them with aggravated assault. How do they justify charging a 5 year old with that?
I wonder what the hospitalized teacher thinks of her administrators involving the police. I've had violent children in my class before, I would never want the police to be called. A lot of these kids (specifically talking about my past students) are the sweetest, most imaginative, loving children 90% of the time. But then something inside them snaps, and they become this whole other child.

I work at a private school, so we're allowed to tell parents they can not come back due to their child's behavior. I'm never the one to make that decision, and it's always heartbreaking when it happens. I just have to hope that it's the wake up call the parents need to get their child diagnosed, into therapy, or into a school that is better equipped to handle their needs. And that wherever they end up, they have a loving teacher. I hope this teacher feels the same way, and isn't the one demanding a 5 year old be charged with assault.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:08 AM

16,300 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Seems kind of crazy to me that a 5 year old could cause this much damage to an adult to the point of hospitalization. If it was me I’d have walked away, and closed the door or yes the kid should be restrained. My daughter is 5 and has a teacher in the room along with 2 sometimes 3 teacher aides.

My daughter actually did have a tantrum last night where she didn’t get her way over something ridiculous and she started kicking and punching me. She was overtired, up past her bedtime etc. it was unacceptable to me that she was doing that but no we don’t kick her and punch her here at home. If she EVER did that to a teacher at school I would assume there were severe issues. Kids act up with parents but generally act well for others adults/teachers. Sounds like this kid has some issues if he got that angry.

I still think it’s odd that the teacher ended up in the hospital from a 5 year old. Maybe she was elderly or did nothing to defend herself whatsoever. We had an incident in Boston recently where a 16 yr old girl knocked an older principal unconscious.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:15 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
I went to kindergarten and grammar school during the 50s. We had mouthy bullies, but never violent kids. None of us would dare talk trash to a teacher. Our fathers would have ripped us apart. Our mothers too! Teachers were people to respect, not beat up.

But it was a different world back then. Moms didn't work. They stayed home and raised their children. Fathers worked, but ruled the house. We were taught to respect all adults. We lived in a house in the city, and we enjoyed family gatherings on the porch in the evening,,, all the neighbors sat on their porches during the summer. No one ever feared getting shot! We kids roamed the neighborhood block, and we did it without fear.

What's changed? Mostly it's the lack of fathers in the homes today. It's the lack of mothers too. Daycare raises the children while mama pursues her career interests. Daycare can't possible raise a child the way loving parents can. The children are herded and corralled, not raised. Where's their role models? Sad.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:21 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No wonder they're leaving the profession in droves. Teaching used to be — and should still be — an honorable profession. Now they're judged for their ability to handle violent kids. ETA just to clarify, I'm not saying that you're doing the judging.
There have always been kids like this it’s not new. Talk to any special ed teacher. He just hadn’t been in school long enough to be classified.

Unfortunately we don't have the economy we had in decades past that allowed moms to stay home more. Both my nieces had no choice but to work. One nieces husband was able to stay home until the youngest got to school but only because my niece has a very good job and his was unskilled.

This kid has problems though, whether related to fetal exposure to drugs or alcohol, a disorder, or violence in the home (which I hope they will investigate).

Old 03-06-2022, 07:27 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Seems kind of crazy to me that a 5 year old could cause this much damage to an adult to the point of hospitalization. If it was me I’d have walked away, and closed the door or yes the kid should be restrained. My daughter is 5 and has a teacher in the room along with 2 sometimes 3 teacher aides.

My daughter actually did have a tantrum last night where she didn’t get her way over something ridiculous and she started kicking and punching me. She was overtired, up past her bedtime etc. it was unacceptable to me that she was doing that but no we don’t kick her and punch her here at home. If she EVER did that to a teacher at school I would assume there were severe issues. Kids act up with parents but generally act well for others adults/teachers. Sounds like this kid has some issues if he got that angry.

I still think it’s odd that the teacher ended up in the hospital from a 5 year old. Maybe she was elderly or did nothing to defend herself whatsoever. We had an incident in Boston recently where a 16 yr old girl knocked an older principal unconscious.
Sigh. You immediately made excuses for her abusive, violent behavior.

Does this generation not see that as a problem? Kids should never "act up" like that with their parents. Never! It's become too acceptable to the parents.

The way it is in the home, is the way it'll be in the classroom.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:29 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, the kid probably has ODD or some other mental disorder.

There was a time when schools were not required to educate all students. Students who couldn't be dealt with were expelled, asked not to come back.
Even then the district then has to pay for an alternative school though as districts are responsible for providing each child an education whether that’s in district or not. It’s expensive so they try not to send kids out unless they have to.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:32 AM

16,300 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I did make excuses for a 5 year olds behavior. I know my own kid and don’t think for one second that I’ll let any stranger on message board tell me my kid has issues. Kids act out to parents. I also said the behavior was unacceptable to me.

It’s funny I knew when I said that my kid kicked and punched me last night someone would have something to say about it here. I should have known better than to say anything about it at all as this forum is filled with people who are perfect in every way with perfect children.

Who knows what the full story with this kid in the article is. You are all jumping to these wild conclusions diagnosing him/her and basically the kid is now doomed for life. Maybe he/she is different than the other kids, certainly needs help but to assume they’ll have mental issues for life seems a bit much.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:01 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
What's changed? Mostly it's the lack of fathers in the homes today. It's the lack of mothers too. Daycare raises the children while mama pursues her career interests. Daycare can't possible raise a child the way loving parents can. The children are herded and corralled, not raised. Where's their role models? Sad.
I think happygrrrl brought up a VERY valid point about drugs, etc. I don't know about where you live but where I am now and in Memphis 10 years ago there is most definitely an issue with children born with drugs in their systems and/or being raised in that kind of an environment. I think that has much more to do with it than mothers who work or children going to decent daycare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Even then the district then has to pay for an alternative school though as districts are responsible for providing each child an education whether that’s in district or not. It’s expensive so they try not to send kids out unless they have to.
That's now, and that's the result of lawsuits back in the ... seventies I think. It definitely wasn't a requirement back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events