Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2022, 11:29 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,150,917 times

Advertisements

Maybe the teacher is tired of working and sees this as a way out...

What is surprising to me is that the kid was charged...how? Actually just found this:

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...chool/2707593/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 12:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If a teacher can't handle a five year old throwing something, they should probably find another line of work.
How would you as a teacher "handle" 4 and 5 year old kids (It was more than just one 5 year old) throwing things and flipping chairs in the classroom?

Old 03-07-2022, 12:34 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How would you as a teacher "handle" 4 and 5 year old kids (It was more than just one 5 year old) throwing things and flipping chairs in the classroom?
It sounds like it was a very unexpected event but grown adults should be able to handle a 5 year old. Like another poster said, it sounds like this teacher had some other issues going on. Hell maybe she was hungover. Not sure what the dry heaving was about. Maybe she was pregnant?

It's no excuse for the kids behavior still but what can be done now? The kid either got so out of control that it happened or they thought that behavior was ok. But they are 5 so what can you really do to a 5 year old at this point? Take away their toys? They need to learn that what they did was wrong obviously but the problem was they did it in the first place. The parents are being investigated i'm sure

Old 03-07-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Sigh. You immediately made excuses for her abusive, violent behavior.

Does this generation not see that as a problem? Kids should never "act up" like that with their parents. Never! It's become too acceptable to the parents.

The way it is in the home, is the way it'll be in the classroom.
Heaven help me if I had ever kicked and punched at my mother or father. There would be no excuse in the world except I had gone totally insane at which point I would be committed to the nervous hospital.
I rarely got a spank or in trouble at all growing up. One time my father had reprimanded me ( I dont remember what for) when he turned his back to walk away I stuck my tongue out at him about that time he turned back around. I quickly realized that was a big mistake. I never did it again.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It sounds like it was a very unexpected event but grown adults should be able to handle a 5 year old. Like another poster said, it sounds like this teacher had some other issues going on. Hell maybe she was hungover. Not sure what the dry heaving was about. Maybe she was pregnant?

It's no excuse for the kids behavior still but what can be done now? The kid either got so out of control that it happened or they thought that behavior was ok. But they are 5 so what can you really do to a 5 year old at this point? Take away their toys? They need to learn that what they did was wrong obviously but the problem was they did it in the first place. The parents are being investigated i'm sure
How. How do you handle violent 5 year olds in the public school system.
The child was removed to a "cool down" room. What then?

Old 03-07-2022, 01:13 PM

Default re

Quote:
I don't know. I think that's the question. Maybe the child has autism or some other behavior disorder where they should be in a special school.

I am guessing the child comes from a low income family with screwed up family members. Unfortunately the state/city will likely become responsible for finding help for this kid if that is the next step.

If by chance the parents are decent and have money they should get him the help he needs.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:15 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
What then should be a full assessment by a pediatrician and the school’s child study team. The results will determine what the right environment is for him and what kind of intervention he needs.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:17 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don't know. I think that's the question. Maybe the child has autism or some other behavior disorder where they should be in a special school.

I am guessing the child comes from a low income family with screwed up family members. Unfortunately the state/city will likely become responsible for finding help for this kid if that is the next step.

If by chance the parents are decent and have money they should get him the help he needs.
The school district will be responsible. They are responsible for educating every child in the district even if it means sending him to and paying for a special school out of district. But first he needs a full assessment.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:24 PM

What if he gets an assessment and is found to be 'normal'?

My son had someone in his class this year who left for a while and came back after a month or so, maybe a little longer. Apparently he had been acting up and saying things to the teacher like, who cares? They are 2nd graders. Maybe he had an eval and was found to be ok. Not sure why he thinks it was ok to say who cares to the teacher but he must have been frustrated about something.

The 5 year was clearly frustrated by something, but i'm not sure this equals mental issues. Some kids just get wild. It's hard to understand why kids do the things they do. Could be severe ADHD.

A friend of mine went through a phase with her 3 year old when she as pregnant where he would continuously go to the fridge and dump the milk all over the floor. It would happen all of the time...why she didnt secure it better I have no idea...but she would end up crying. We would end up laughing about it and be like why?? he was told no many times. I dont think he was ever spanked for it, but i guess he was fascinated by the dumping of the milk on the floor. Better than him beating her up i guess.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:50 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,248 times
Quote:
Tape the little brat to the chair he threw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events