Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2022, 01:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What then should be a full assessment by a pediatrician and the school’s child study team. The results will determine what the right environment is for him and what kind of intervention he needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don't know. I think that's the question. Maybe the child has autism or some other behavior disorder where they should be in a special school.

I am guessing the child comes from a low income family with screwed up family members. Unfortunately the state/city will likely become responsible for finding help for this kid if that is the next step.

If by chance the parents are decent and have money they should get him the help he needs.
There are posters saying any teacher should be able to handle a 5 year old. I'm asking how? I think the teacher did handle the situation best she could while following the rules about physical contact. I dont know how else she could have handled a violent 5 year old.

I agree the child and parents need a full assessment. I'm thinking the child has already been assessed though. I dont know if the child is autistic, in SPED, but I thought I read he had had issues before. I feel for and respect these teacher who have to deal with behavioral problems and melt downs whether they are medically motivated or not and then being scrutinized for their every action or reaction. I certainly would not do their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Tape the little brat to the chair he threw?
Not allowed to do that.
The child may have issues at home, he may be autistic. We dont know what is going on with him. Maybe he is just a brat, IDK.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:59 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
What if he gets an assessment and is found to be 'normal'?

My son had someone in his class this year who left for a while and came back after a month or so, maybe a little longer. Apparently he had been acting up and saying things to the teacher like, who cares? They are 2nd graders. Maybe he had an eval and was found to be ok. Not sure why he thinks it was ok to say who cares to the teacher but he must have been frustrated about something.

The 5 year was clearly frustrated by something, but i'm not sure this equals mental issues. Some kids just get wild. It's hard to understand why kids do the things they do. Could be severe ADHD.

A friend of mine went through a phase with her 3 year old when she as pregnant where he would continuously go to the fridge and dump the milk all over the floor. It would happen all of the time...why she didnt secure it better I have no idea...but she would end up crying. We would end up laughing about it and be like why?? he was told no many times. I dont think he was ever spanked for it, but i guess he was fascinated by the dumping of the milk on the floor. Better than him beating her up i guess.
Severe ADHD is absolutely enough to qualify him for special ed. I have a feeling it’s more than that though (having worked in special Ed).

Old 03-07-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
What if he gets an assessment and is found to be 'normal'?

My son had someone in his class this year who left for a while and came back after a month or so, maybe a little longer. Apparently he had been acting up and saying things to the teacher like, who cares? They are 2nd graders. Maybe he had an eval and was found to be ok. Not sure why he thinks it was ok to say who cares to the teacher but he must have been frustrated about something.

The 5 year was clearly frustrated by something, but i'm not sure this equals mental issues. Some kids just get wild. It's hard to understand why kids do the things they do. Could be severe ADHD.

A friend of mine went through a phase with her 3 year old when she as pregnant where he would continuously go to the fridge and dump the milk all over the floor. It would happen all of the time...why she didnt secure it better I have no idea...but she would end up crying. We would end up laughing about it and be like why?? he was told no many times. I dont think he was ever spanked for it, but i guess he was fascinated by the dumping of the milk on the floor. Better than him beating her up i guess.
That is why he kept doing it.

Old 03-07-2022, 02:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Here's today's update. The boy (who is in ESE, which is current terms for special ed apparently) will not be charged.

Further explanation on the incident.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...chool/2707593/

Old 03-07-2022, 02:42 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
There is no way you can Charge a 5yo with anything. Maybe require some type of help but not charges.

Old 03-07-2022, 02:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

Another article. The teacher is late 30's - early 40's with slender frame. She's been released from the hospital but will require surgery, according to this article.

The child is between 50-60 pounds, so roughly the size of an 8 year old.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ce-s-rcna18961

Old 03-07-2022, 03:02 PM

This is the THIRD TIME this same teacher has has to be taken out by Fire and Rescue to the hospital after an assault by this one child. At this point, something needs to be done to secure everyone from him. It's just an act of mercy by God that he hasn't killed another student.

And he's only going to get bigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojqpjtUEQU

Old 03-07-2022, 03:33 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's today's update. The boy (who is in ESE, which is current terms for special ed apparently) will not be charged.

Further explanation on the incident.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...chool/2707593/
So already special ed. Makes more sense. Normally a classroom like that would have an aide in addition to the teacher. It’s really not uncommon at all for special Ed kids to have incidents like this.

Old 03-07-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So already special ed. Makes more sense. Normally a classroom like that would have an aide in addition to the teacher. It’s really not uncommon at all for special Ed kids to have incidents like this.
This is the 3rd time this same child caused this same teacher to be removed from the school by emergency responders.

It seems it's time for this to end, and other measures to be taken in the care of this child, that don't involve him ever being left alone with one adult, or in proximity to children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events