Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 05:28 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
That was Au Clair de la Lune that she was playing.
Does "itsy bitsy spider" have the same tune, I wonder? It's been decades since I watched that flick. I'll have to check into this.

Thanks, Contra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 05:34 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I'm going to watch that movie this weekend, it's on youtube!
https://youtu.be/p3Z9CiSVmQU
Oh, NO, Vabs!!! That's the wrong version! I didn't know there was a remake of that movie. Maybe it's good or even better that the original (but I doubt it).

Here's the trailer for the 1956 original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZt7gtFiVJk

Old 03-05-2022, 05:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Probably lots of other places to work where 5 year olds don't throw chairs around.
No wonder they're leaving the profession in droves. Teaching used to be — and should still be — an honorable profession. Now they're judged for their ability to handle violent kids. ETA just to clarify, I'm not saying that you're doing the judging.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:05 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I have a hard time picturing this. My kids weren't always angels, but they weren't violent or destructive. Something else is going on with that child.
Your kids lived an environment that you were mostly aware of. If they are your biological children, you most likely did not ingest alcohol, meth, opioids, etc. while pregnant with them. You had some idea of their genetic background. You most likely taught them some version of what was *right* & what was *wrong* & tried to instill age-appropriate self-control & self-soothing.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:36 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's exactly my point.

I'm not arguing that a 5 year old couldn't be in a full on violent tantrum, which does happen to kids with emotional disturbances.

I'm just having a hard time with the story that without any weapons (as would be the situation in a calm down room) a 5 year old could cause injuries to a healthy adult that would necessitate hospitalization.

It seems there's something not being said here.
Yes, the story sounds very fishy. We are definitely not getting the whole story.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
These aren't the good ol' days and a lot of things have changed. Do you thinks today's parents still act the same way your parents did? All the bad behaviors you see on youtube or whatever, does it suggest to you that things in our society are still like they were twenty, thirty years ago?
Kids have always had emotional problems. I don't believe there is anything different with kids today. The difference is how schools and society handle the problems. In the good ol' days the teachers and the principles always handled the issues themselves.

For me the only exception was my high school, where we had a school resource cop, who mostly served as a lunchroom monitor, and I know the police were also involved in investigating false fire alarms. But that was at the request of the Fire Department, not the school. Also that was pretty much at the end of the good ol' days.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Or more likely, back when you were in school, these students weren't integrated into the classrooms. That doesn't mean they didn't exist or that modern society somehow created these disorders.
That might be a big part of it. Just as how violent mental patients were not allowed to walk the streets, I would guess that violent mentally unstable children were not allowed in school. But still the schools had problem students, and somehow managed to deal with them.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:21 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Kids have always had emotional problems. I don't believe there is anything different with kids today. The difference is how schools and society handle the problems. In the good ol' days the teachers and the principles always handled the issues themselves.

For me the only exception was my high school, where we had a school resource cop, who mostly served as a lunchroom monitor, and I know the police were also involved in investigating false fire alarms. But that was at the request of the Fire Department, not the school. Also that was pretty much at the end of the good ol' days.
Well, the Los Angeles Unified School District has its own police department. It was quite large before it was defunded around the same time as other police were defunded. It does still exist. There must have been a reason that a school district needed its own separate LE department.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Well, the Los Angeles Unified School District has its own police department. It was quite large before it was defunded around the same time as other police were defunded. It does still exist. There must have been a reason that a school district needed its own separate LE department.
It's needed because for some reason Americans today think that police are the solution to all problems, including dealing with school discipline problems. We totally defunded the mental hospitals to hire more cops. Who needs mental health care, when you have cops? Whatever the problem is, call the cops. Kindergartener acting up? Call the cops.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:37 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Or more likely, back when you were in school, these students weren't integrated into the classrooms. That doesn't mean they didn't exist or that modern society somehow created these disorders.

I was in kindergarten about 1970, one kid Scott used to regularly punch me in the stomach, unprovoked. No clue why he only picked on me or why he would just punch me if I was near him.

The principal used to come to my classroom to get him until one time he was taken out of the room, never saw him again. I heard he went to a bad kids school. No clue where that was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Well, there were no separate facilities for "behaviorally challenged students" so I don't know how that was handled. But as a whole, schools weren't the same then as now. Heck (to beat a well-beaten horse) society at large was different. Guess you had to be there.

I don't recall anyone else being violent except that kid Scott I mentioned above.

There were kids that were disabled that went to a trailer that was on the same property as my elementary school. Back then, there was no middle school, it was K to 7 until I was going in 6th grade, we had desegregation. I went to a 6th grade not close to my house. My old school was grade K to 4. High school was 8 to 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
This describes my adopted granddaughter to a tee. Her two younger brothers have similar issues but aren't as severe. Yet. She's adorable and calculating just like the Bad Seed movie. She's injured and killed animals already, been violent to people, suicidal, in and out of psych hospitals since she was 5. It's not all the time, she can be very charming sometimes. And we do love her.

But, please don't blame this on the parents every time. My kids have been trying to keep her and the rest of the family safe for years and it is exhausting and frustrating. There's no good answers for these children. Meds don't work, they're short term. More and more children are having problems and we need help for them.

I think genetics play a part, so do hormones. I know of others who couldn't "hold their temper" eventually grew out of it

Quote:

My high school in North NJ had riots in the 70's, so by the time I got there in the late 70's, they had security guards who weren't afraid to take a student down.

My town doesn't have security guards for schools like my old town did, there is a cop in every school, every day. Even in my grandson's elementary school. Like what do they need a cop every day in an elementary school? It's no wonder my taxes are so high. I'm sure a security guard or two would be cheaper than a cop at every school.

When I went to school in 1970, teachers weren't hitting kids like they used to.

Quote:
It's needed because for some reason Americans today think that police are the solution to all problems, including dealing with school discipline problems. We totally defunded the mental hospitals to hire more cops. Who needs mental health care, when you have cops? Whatever the problem is, call the cops. Kindergartener acting up? Call the cops.

To me, what gets me the most, is this 5 year old was taken away by the cops, they're seriously thinking of charging them with aggravated assault. How do they justify charging a 5 year old with that?

Reminds me of that other little girl that was taken away. Her grandmother ended up suing the cops and school. Pretty sure she won. I'll have to look for the thread one of these days when I have time. From memory there were a few little kids taken away by cops that day, brought to the police station.

Broward teacher hospitalized after 5-year-old student’s attack, police say

Quote:
The 5-year-old student is facing a charge of aggravated assault with hands, fists, and feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events