Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2022, 01:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

You have established that crimes are committed in Pembrooke Pines, FL.
Not so much unlike other places in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 01:34 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Crimes like that don't happen where I live or in any of the towns around me. That is a lot of crime going back just 6 months.

I'm not sure what you're so defensive about. Parents play a role here, they are big part of this. Would be nice to hear what they are doing if anything. This was the THIRD time it had happened.

Last edited by msRB311; 03-08-2022 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-08-2022, 02:05 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Crimes like that don't happen where I live or in any of the towns around me. That is a lot of crime going back just 6 months.

I'm not sure what you're so defensive about. Parents play a role here, they are big part of this. Would be nice to hear what they are doing if anything. This was the THIRD time it had happened.

I'd be interested to hear what the parents of the other students are saying about the situation.

Old 03-08-2022, 02:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, and being hospitalized now THREE TIMES by this one child who has apparently assaulted other children as well, the school admin is remiss in not doing something prior to this severe injury. I've been thinking about this child a lot, and don't know what the solution would be - I've never encountered a child in public school who is so violent, so many times.

A mild charge stun gun comes to mind.
Hopefully you don't actually work in schools if you think using a stun gun on a child is appropriate.

Old 03-08-2022, 02:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:

I'm not defensive. You posting links to crimes committed in that city has no relevance to this special ed kids family.

So there has never been a murder or shooting in your area, no one posting inappropriate stuff on the internet, no burglaries, no drug activity?

Old 03-08-2022, 03:12 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Also regarding students in the past, 30 years ago those kids wouldn’t have been in public schools except the special services school. That’s why that poster didn’t see special Ed kids acting out violently. So I don’t think special Ed kids are different today than in the past.
That's a myth. Institutions started closing rapidly in the late 1970s. There were not institutions filled with autistic/SPED children. The rates really are rising. And the presentation is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Sorry but I don't believe a "panic attack" led to the teacher requiring intubation and surgery (unless maybe all the doctors had a panic attack too). Nor does suffering a concussion because a bookcase was pulled over onto her head in a previous incident justify blaming her physical or mental health.
I call bull on that. She wasn't even admitted. Nobody is simply released after needing intubation in the ER. Good Lord. She has no business being in a SPED classroom.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:15 PM

https://www.fox13news.com/news/flori...lds-3rd-attack

The kid threw a bookcase? how? What kind of bookcase could a 5 year old throw that a teacher in their late 30's could get pinned under. The school failed for sure. I've never heard of a kid or anyone really throwing a book case

Another parent said the same 5-year-old has also attacked other students, causing black eyes and other injuries.

This kid sounds like a piece of crap. Hard to imagine how a kid could behave so badly. good luck to him.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:29 PM

oh and here's another lovely story straight outta pembroke pines, FL:

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...to-his-ankles/

Wow, what's in the water down there.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:38 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
This feels like more than just special ed issues to me.
Maybe that's because you don't have experience with special ed. I do, and Cochristie has 17 or 18 years of very violent behavior from her special needs son. Depending on what exactly is wrong, this is not out of the realm of normal in special ed. This child just started in the school system, and it will take time to get him the right setting and the right help.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:42 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
That's a myth. Institutions started closing rapidly in the late 1970s. There were not institutions filled with autistic/SPED children. The rates really are rising. And the presentation is different.

I call bull on that. She wasn't even admitted. Nobody is simply released after needing intubation in the ER. Good Lord. She has no business being in a SPED classroom.
I never said anything about institutions, I said they'd be in the Special Services school district 30 years ago, not the mainstream public school. If you re-read my post I said "except the special services school". Districts don't send kids to SS as quickly now, one because many parents don't want that, many kids benefit from more inclusive environments, and also because the home district has to pay for it and it's $$. Everyone wants their property taxes low and school budgets get voted down by residents all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events