Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2022, 10:26 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I hope I'm never in that position to find out what I would do if it was a special needs, out of control 5 year old. Give me a grown adult or a teen thug and all bets are off.

I recently watched a documentary about a boy who was "bad". It was a real eye opener to understanding dangerous behavioral issues, neurological issues being ruled out and being treated for it at a younger age. IMO, too many kids are just being labeled with "mental health" issues and put on meds. I think it takes away from the children who have true medical or mental issues.
I don't think anyone said he had mental health issues. He is classified as having a disability, and depending what kind of disability, violent outbursts are not out of the norm. You say "give me a grown adult or a teen thug and all bets are off". I'm not sure if you're talking about adults with developmental disabilities or not, but violent behavior is part and parcel (and the reason I never wanted to work with adults with DD) but I find it offensive to call them "thugs". They are basically adults with the mental capacity of toddlers. It's a dangerous setting to work in. But they aren't "bad" in the sense you are using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 11:02 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It has always been the responsibility of the school system to provide each child an appropriate education. This isn’t about raising a child it’s about raising a child with a disability or multiple disabilities, and they need to be taught how to do that. Some here persist in believing it’s a discipline issue, it’s not.
Not until there was Legislation passed that REQUIRED school districts to provide those needs have districts been responsible for doing it
Before they would just say “we can’t provide what this child needs”.
They did very little screening for problems like dyslexia or other learning disabilities
There was a visual screening and a hearing screening in elementary school but nothing beyond that until in the last 25 yrs or so…

And children with emotional and learning and physical disabilities DO have anger management issues
That is part of what they are supposed to be helped to understand—how to manage their frustration and not strike out physically….
Note this article from Yale Medicine School states that anger management issues are often accompanied by other more severe issues…which fall into special needs categories like ADHD, being on the autism spectrum, obsessive-compulsive disorders, and Tourette’s Syndrome…

https://www.yalemedicine.org/conditi...dren-and-teens

Old 03-10-2022, 12:45 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
Regardless of what the child did or didn't do, I take issue with us putting criminal charges on children before they can/should truly be held responsible for their actions in life-changing ways. While one can debate the age someone should face criminal charges (14 and up is commonly tossed about), 5 definitely seems extreme. And if someone is disabled and that is causing/contributing to the behavior, even more so criminal charges are inappropriate.

Old 03-10-2022, 01:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Regardless of what the child did or didn't do, I take issue with us putting criminal charges on children before they can/should truly be held responsible for their actions in life-changing ways. While one can debate the age someone should face criminal charges (14 and up is commonly tossed about), 5 definitely seems extreme. And if someone is disabled and that is causing/contributing to the behavior, even more so criminal charges are inappropriate.
I agree. I dont know why they would even consider criminal charges.
It always irritates me when people defend underage laws for alcohol and tobacco with the defense that the human brain is not fully developed until age 25, then want to talk about charging a kid or charging a minor as an adult.

Old 03-10-2022, 03:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I just knew something was off with this story. Found an article in People Magazine.

https://people.com/crime/florida-tea...r-old-student/

Anna Fusco, president of the Broward Teachers Union tells PEOPLE:

"We don't get trained in how to go into combat with students or how to protect yourself against a chair or a bookshelf getting thrown on you."

Say what? Because I found this for Broward County:

https://disabilityrightsflorida.org/...unty_by_county

So they ARE trained & do use, crisis management, including restraint. She seems to be making an excuse for somebody. I highly doubt this teacher even tried to use her training on this student. Another stupid statement from Ms. Fusco in the People article:

"Teachers and staff are not allowed to touch students."

Yeah? My SPED kid was still in diapers in the 5th grade. You'd better believe that staff "touches" students. They also restrained him from injuring others, self-injurious behaviors & elopement. You can't take care of SPED kids if you don't touch them. How ridiculous.
I am not ready to condemn this teacher. She might have been in over her head due to poor training. She might have not been allowed to physically restrain students.

Old 03-10-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I agree. They did say they aren't charging him now, so not sure if that was the case in the beginning and it was reported incorrectly, or if they realized the lunacy of charging a 5 year old special ed student.

Old 03-10-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am not ready to condemn this teacher. She might have been in over her head due to poor training. She might have not been allowed to physically restrain students.
In special ed teachers are absolutely allowed to restrain students. Often it's the only way to keep the students safe. I worked with an autistic teen who would make a dash for the doors if we went past them. You had to hold him back or he'd have run off. I agree she might not have been properly trained.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:29 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,451,892 times
Curious if anyone knows what happens to a child who behaves like this in China under the "social credit" system?

Old 03-11-2022, 12:41 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree. They did say they aren't charging him now, so not sure if that was the case in the beginning and it was reported incorrectly, or if they realized the lunacy of charging a 5 year old special ed student.
The fact that charges like that against a 5 year old were even considered in the first place, just shows how insane this country has become.

America: the freest country in the world, with the most people locked up.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:14 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Curious if anyone knows what happens to a child who behaves like this in China under the "social credit" system?
Well a five year old would not face any charges in China. Although China is heading in that direction too. China just lowered the age of criminal responsibility from 14 to 12.

China lowers age of criminal responsibility to 12 for 'abominable' crimes _ Reuters

The US, Djibouti, Maldives, and Mauritius are the only countries in the world where a 5 year old could be criminally charged with anything.

Criminal_age (1)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events