Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2022, 11:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,614 posts, read 17,940,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thats' what special ed is. There are a lot of kids that need this much "handling". She might not be a certified special ed teacher, I don't know. In the district I worked in, they had a hard time finding a replacement when the pregnant classroom teacher had to go out several months early, and they used non-certified special ed teacher on an emergency basis. I don't know how well trained she was, or whether this child was in the appropriate classroom or with the appropriate teacher. If he wasn't though, the fault lies with the school not the child or his parents. A good special ed teacher wouldn't have had kids tossing desks around the class...it was not just him but another student as well. It doesn't sound like she had good control of the class. There are a few special ed teachers I worked with who I could almost guarantee would be able to control this class.
She's a certified ESE teacher, and has 13 years of experience, and apparently is respected and beloved.

She appears fairly fit, and average size.

It appears this child took a running leap at her and knocked her over, banging her head on the floor and giving her a severe concussion.

Third time he's put her in the hospital.

There were apparently 3 adult teachers in the room when the desk and chair throwing began.

I don't know why, if you've been a spec ed teacher, you've never seen a kid throw a chair. That happens even in mainstream classrooms from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 11:40 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
She's a certified ESE teacher, and has 13 years of experience, and apparently is respected and beloved.

She appears fairly fit, and average size.

It appears this child took a running leap at her and knocked her over, banging her head on the floor and giving her a severe concussion.

Third time he's put her in the hospital.

There were apparently 3 adult teachers in the room when the desk and chair throwing began. The special Ed teachers I worked with who I considered great teachers would have nipped the altercation between the two kids before it got to that point.

I don't know why, if you've been a spec ed teacher, you've never seen a kid throw a chair. That happens even in mainstream classrooms from time to time.
Where did I say I’ve never seen it? I simply said it didn’t seem like she had good control of her classroom.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:44 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

Quote:
Where did I say I’ve never seen it? I simply said it didn’t seem like she had good control of her classroom.
This is kind of going round and round.

If you've "seen it", then I guess you also didn't have control of your classroom, and weren't, quote,
" a good special ed teacher"?

Old 03-08-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is kind of going round and round.

If you've "seen it", then I guess you also didn't have control of your classroom, and weren't, quote,
" a good special ed teacher"?
What exactly is your point? I never said all the special Ed teachers I worked with were great teachers.

I can’t say whether she’s a good sped teacher in general but maybe not for kids with the severe needs of this boy.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Thats' what special ed is. There are a lot of kids that need this much "handling". She might not be a certified special ed teacher, I don't know. In the district I worked in, they had a hard time finding a replacement when the pregnant classroom teacher had to go out several months early, and they used non-certified special ed teacher on an emergency basis. I don't know how well trained she was, or whether this child was in the appropriate classroom or with the appropriate teacher. If he wasn't though, the fault lies with the school not the child or his parents. A good special ed teacher wouldn't have had kids tossing desks around the class...it was not just him but another student as well. It doesn't sound like she had good control of the class. There are a few special ed teachers I worked with who I could almost guarantee would be able to control this class.
I understand the challenges of special ed kids but this goes beyond what the expectation of average physical assault on teachers is.
Ultimate responsibility lies with the parents. As a parent if the second time my child behaved in this manner I would be finding out what the issue is and taking steps to correct it.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
sure show the dad too if it's possible to figure out who/where he is
Wow.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:57 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
This whole thing is sad but real and I'm glad some people are seeing what families go through 24/7 when they are raising these special needs children. My son has 3. They had such good hearts fostering and adopting them but their lives are not anything I'd want for any parent. They went through extensive training on how to raise special needs children and they do it, but nothing really helps them.

That's our worst fear - that one of the children will seriously hurt someone else.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I understand the challenges of special ed kids but this goes beyond what the expectation of average physical assault on teachers is.
Ultimate responsibility lies with the parents. As a parent if the second time my child behaved in this manner I would be finding out what the issue is and taking steps to correct it.
You don’t know that they aren’t. With special Ed it’s not just discipline. We at the school trained parents to help them deal with the kids, gave them info on sensory and other triggers etc. it is the school’s responsibility to make sure his placement is appropriate for where he is right now, and it doesn’t sound like they have been successful at that.

It’s really not as unusual as people here who don’t have knowledge of special Ed seem to think. This kid is not an anomaly. He’s in the wrong placement with the wrong teacher.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
What exactly is your point? I never said all the special Ed teachers I worked with were great teachers.

I can’t say whether she’s a good sped teacher in general but maybe not for kids with the severe needs of this boy.
My point is, this child doesn't belong in a standard spec ed public school classroom, he's too dangerous.

And as his size increases, so will his threat to the well-being and safety of those who are around him.

And my second point is this school district admin is extremely remiss in not removing him, after twice sending the teacher to the hospital. With two concussions in a row, it's highly likely she'll never recover fully.

And the fact that he was able to leap in the air and knock her backwards off her feet isn't an indication that she's not an excellent teacher, who belongs in a spec ed classroom.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:00 PM

16,318 posts, read 8,150,917 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Right...but we all know that there are many incapable parents out there. Like this one:

https://wsvn.com/news/local/teacher-...-in-pinecrest/

Also in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events