Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2022, 05:59 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Because the left wants to make people hate Twitter now that's no longer a leftist paradise. When 90% of Twitter employees vote Democrat party, that won't lead to good ethnical governance. I could careless about what the left or right says but censorship of any kind is bad.

Censorship only leads to destructive results. You can censor someone's mouth but not stop their fists from coming for you. It's better to let people talk things out then to settle with violence. That's what I hope we can do instead of this toxic political environment we have today where each side is coming after each other due to cancel culture and ways to abuse information and conversation from happening.

Even when we let Donald Trump talk, he hasn't helped the mid-term election results for his cause. This is why we need to have open discussions so people can reason and make good decisions. The more Trump is censored the stronger he fuels his supporters.
Keystone Pipeline high paying 11,000 jobs @ about $2 BILLION with a "B"
AOC kills Amazon warehouse hub in NYC 25,000 jobs permanent and seasonal $X
War on fossil fuels X number of jobs lost $X
Rise in fuel costs to truckers = Rise in food stuffs cost delivered by truck $X
Profits made by OPEC who are making up America's oil production shortfall $X probably over five years a Trillion Dollars

Total Overall WAY WAY TOO MUCH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 08:03 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
No, it does NOT. Either provide the actual quote - that's Elon's own words within quotation marks, or quit the lying (or parroting the lies). You and others have claimed it was said in the email but the email was printed and it says no such thing...

The news report that I saw said that managers at Twitter have instructed some employees to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week. Although this looks to be the exception rather than the rule, you doubt it's authentic? What would be the point with "lying" about it?

Old 11-11-2022, 08:34 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i like how 7000 get fire from twitter and its a big deal, 11,000 get fired from facebook and nobody cares

It's because no one likes Elon Musk, so anything he does will be put under the microscope. People are waiting for Musk to fall flat on his face, wanting to catch him doing something illegal that will make him suffer financially so he is taken down a bunch of notches...

A lot of companies are laying people off, not just Twitter, Facebook/Meta. Amazon has been at it for months.

Facebook parent company Meta will lay off 11,000 employees

Quote:
Facebook parent company Meta on Wednesday said it is laying off 11,000 employees, marking the most significant job cuts in the tech giant’s history.

The job cuts come as Meta confronts a range of challenges to its core business and makes an uncertain and costly bet on pivoting to the metaverse. It also comes amid a spate of layoffs at other tech firms in recent months as the high-flying sector reacts to high inflation, rising interest rates and fears of a looming recession.

... “I’ve decided to reduce the size of our team by about 13% and let more than 11,000 of our talented employees go.”

“At the start of Covid, the world rapidly moved online and the surge of e-commerce led to outsized revenue growth,” Zuckerberg wrote Wednesday. “Many people predicted this would be a permanent acceleration that would continue even after the pandemic ended. I did too, so I made the decision to significantly increase our investments. Unfortunately, this did not play out the way I expected.”

“I got this wrong, and I take responsibility for that,” he added.

Meta’s headcount in September was nearly twice the 48,268 staffers it had at the start of the pandemic in March of 2020.

Old 11-12-2022, 05:25 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
The news report that I saw said that managers at Twitter have instructed some employees to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week. Although this looks to be the exception rather than the rule, you doubt it's authentic? What would be the point with "lying" about it?
JFC, I'm asking someone to post a quote not regurgitate someone's allegation, Yes, I question the authenticity of something that apparently no one can pin down to specific words from a specific person. The "point" of lying about it is that liberals are engaged in an all out smear campaign. (And if it's the "exception" why are they trying to characterize it as the new policy at Twitter?)

Old 11-12-2022, 08:26 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
JFC, I'm asking someone to post a quote not regurgitate someone's allegation, Yes, I question the authenticity of something that apparently no one can pin down to specific words from a specific person. The "point" of lying about it is that liberals are engaged in an all out smear campaign. (And if it's the "exception" why are they trying to characterize it as the new policy at Twitter?)
The 80 hour work week makes for sensational click bait, but I don't see it as an attempt to smear or as a lie.

It seems clear that he's set very high expectations with tough deadlines, which are most likely justified.

Amost 2 weeks old: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/twitt...111714755.html

"Twitter managers have told some staff to work 12-hour shifts, seven days a week — equivalent to 84 hours a week — to meet Musk's deadlines, CNBC reported, citing internal communications.

..Since Friday, staff at the company have been set tasks which some see as a test by Musk's team to see who works hard.

Insider previously reported that Musk's team assigned some of Twitter's engineers coding projects to work on over the weekend, known as sprints. Other tasks include making major changes to Twitter's verification service.

Insider previously reported that an internal message was sent to Twitter staff working on changes to the company's verification process telling them that: "The expectation is literally to work 24/7 to get this out."

CNBC reported that staff haven't been told whether they'll get overtime pay, time off in lieu, or job security for working on the assignments.

Staff worry that their careers at Twitter could be over if they don't complete their tasks by the early November deadlines, CNBC reported.

Twitter's managers, meanwhile, have been asked to carry out performance reviews and send Musk's team lists of which employees should be kept on, people familiar with the discussions told Insider.

But the managers themselves are also feeling the strain, with some telling The New York Times that they slept at Twitter's office on Friday and Saturday nights..."

Old 11-12-2022, 10:09 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
A lot of people I’ve known in the tech sector will talk about the ebb and flow when you’re trying to hit a release date, it really is all hands all the time for a couple weeks prior. And then you get ot relax a bit after the product drops.

The problem here seems to be that Musk cut the workforce and then expected a new product to be created and dropped within a very short time frame with the remaining employees, leading them to try to beg some fired employees to come back in order to hit the drop date.

So it was a ready, fire, aim process, which does not suggest a good management climate. ‘Normal’ would have been to do the employee cuts after said employees had made the structural changes Musk felt were needed.

But Musk didn’t get that running a social media platform is actuall very different than a manufacturing or finance company. There’s infinitely more herding of cats that goes on and his cat-herding skills don’t seem up to snuff.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:13 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Elon Musk reminds me in some ways of Henry Ford. Let me explain.

Musk is clearly a brilliant engineer, and a very good businessman when it comes to marketing certain technological products. However, it is clear that he really doesn't understand social or emotional interactions much at all. Twitter may have a technological base, but its product is a way for social communities to form and for people to emotionally interact. Yet Musk clearly sees it as a technological product, which it simply is not. And he's stepping on his own dick as a result.

Henry Ford excelled at refining line assembly for simple automobiles. He was really good at that. And like many people who find a niche in which they have spectacular success, he assumed that he was brilliant in all sorts of things. He entered politics, and failed. He refused to update the Model T long after it had fallen behind competition, and his business suffered accordingly. He founded Fordlandia, a town in the Brazilian Amazon intended to supply rubber to Ford Motor Company, and it went belly-up in a few short years. He went into publishing, and produced anti-Semitic screeds which damaged his business. He had a variety of crank ideas, like carrots as a wonder food - he would host dinners in which everything was carrot based: carrot casserole. carrots (of course) carrot juice (to drink), carrot cake (dessert).

Musk apparently made an offer to Twitter in an attempt to 'pwn the libs'. He then tried to back out, but discovered that he was stuck buying it. Now he's destroyed the value of the blue check in no time at all, and has caused advertisers to flee in his contradictory "Free and unfettered speech! Except for the speech I don't like, because that would be a hellscape!". Like Ford, Musk has enough spare cash to flush away a few tens of billions here and there on his self-important failures. But it's still a curious spectacle to behold.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:23 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
No, it does NOT. Either provide the actual quote - that's Elon's own words within quotation marks, or quit the lying (or parroting the lies). You and others have claimed it was said in the email but the email was printed and it says no such thing.

In fact, the Verge transcript that Bloomberg links to says the opposite. In Musk's own words:

"we do need to be default in the office and for a reasonable amount of time. It’s not like some crazy number of hours. I’ll do crazy hours in office, but I’m not asking everyone else to do crazy hours in the office. "
https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/10/...eeting-q-and-a

Okay, I will concede the point that the 80 hours thing is not verifiable. But the rest is, and it's clear he's driving Twitter rapidly into the ground. IMO the bankruptcy part is much more significant then the 80 hours thing.

Their stock crashed last week, investors lost 29 billion in one day.

Their top cybersecurity people all resigned in the last couple of days, so now they are supposedly at serious risk of security breaches, too.

In addition, they have had to put a halt to the $8 a month blue check verification, because people were subscribing under false names and getting the blue checks just because they paid the $8. There were accounts "verified" as George W Bush, Ely Lilly pharmaceutical company, Elon Musk, and even Jesus Christ that were all imposters. The Ely Lilly "verified" account announced Insulin was now going to be free, which wasn't true and wasn't Ely Lilly posting it. But is was retweeted thousands of times because it had the blue check. So now that revenue stream is gone until they find a way to actually verify that people are who they say they are before they actually verify them.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-ok-musk-says/

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/1...ation-00066502

"Twitter’s top security officials — including its chief information security officer, chief privacy officer, chief compliance officer and head of trust and safety — all resigned Thursday, citing the risk of implementing some of Musk’s new revenue grabs (like the new check-mark policy) amid an ongoing Federal Trade Commission probe."

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 11-12-2022 at 03:53 PM..

Old 11-12-2022, 04:27 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Disgruntled ex employees for one.....

Old 11-12-2022, 07:15 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Elon Musk reportedly demanded a payroll audit to confirm Twitter employees were 'real humans' before giving them regularly scheduled bonuses and laying them off.

These kinds of questions don’t arise out of thin air. Someone has told him “ghost employees” are now on the payroll - likely created by prior management for off-the-books bonuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events