Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:01 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
One should point Mr. Perry to Article Seven, Section One of the Texas Constitution:

"ARTICLE 7. EDUCATION

Sec. 1. SUPPORT AND MAINTENANCE OF SYSTEM OF PUBLIC FREE SCHOOLS.

A general diffusion of knowledge being essential to the preservation

of the liberties and rights of the people, it shall be the duty of the

Legislature of the State to establish and make suitable provision for the

support and maintenance of an efficient system of public free schools."

It does appear some are deeply derelict of their duties.
I think the key point is here.. an efficient system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
You can write the governor and your representatives tonight:

Reminder: Times Ten Cellars offers wine discount for education Thursday | Advocate Magazine

SIP, SIGN, and SAVE DALLAS SCHOOLS!
Hosts: 
Jill Cochran, Patrick Luna, Susan Schuerger
972-743-6416
Jill.cochran@sbcglobal.net

Thursday, March 10th
6:00 – 10:00 p.m.
Come and Go

Times Ten Cellars
Lakewood
6324 Prospect Ave
Dallas, TX 75214

Please join us at Times Ten Cellars to write letters to the State Legislature about the public education-funding crisis. Enjoy a 1/2-price glass of wine when you write three letters! Invite your friends, neighbors, and concerned community members to this fun and important event! Hope to see you there!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 AM

634 posts, read 1,448,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I think the key point is here.. an efficient system
Efficient (as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary, online edition)

A. As an adjective:
1. Making, causing to be; that makes (a thing) to be what it is; chiefly in connection with cause.

2. Productive of effects; effective; adequately operative. Of persons: Adequately skilled.

B. As a noun:

1. ‘The cause which makes effects to be what they are’ (Johnson). Obs., but in 17th c. very common.

2. Mil. An efficient soldier; esp. a volunteer adequately qualified for service.

(Do pardon the inconsistent fonts, a price to pay for C&P.)

I fail to see how parsing the constitutional language to claim that the "key point" is the demand for an efficient system supports your ideological preferences (I've seen your other posts, it's very apparent that you don't have a very high opinion of education or educators as you are prone to the line that they are are "wasteful" and loath to make personal sacrifices, when nothing could be further from the truth. Educator pay in Texas is among the worst in the country. If your grievance is with administrators and their largesse, then your screeds should be more purposefully articulated). Conflating the conservative mantra of what constitutes "efficiency" with what the Constitutional language demands is a task best suited to those with access to the debates and deliberations which lead to the creation of the language itself. However, if we are limited to the definition as accessible to the layperson, the very point of efficiency is in fact usurped by a concerted disinvestment and abandonment of responsibility as stated. Can a system of public education claim to be "adequately operative" when the very Legislature to which its well-being is ceded chooses a stringent fidelity to ideology (No taxes, ever! Especially not to educate! But yes to tax breaks for feckless Enterprise and Technology Funds)? At what price?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I heard part of his bs and walked out of the room. The guy is just delusional. I'm seriously starting to think he is good friends w/ Charlie Sheen after that little babbling commentary he had.
I loved the part where he blamed districts for having to lay off teachers instead of cutting "fluff" and all the "extracurricular spending" added in recent years.

Well....if the state funds 20-25% of a district's budget AND teacher payroll is 80-90% of the budget, then how can he not see there is a TRUE SHORTFALL of anywhere from 5-15%.....and that's just to keep paying teachers. Not accounting for paying electric bills & other routine maintenance on schools, which can easily be 5+% toward's the districts' remanining 10-20% of operating budget.

DE-LUSIONAL.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 AM

95 posts, read 211,818 times
I have come to the conclusion that votes don't matter in Texas politics. I don't know anyone who voted for him...even the idiots that voted for Bush are not dumb enough to vote for Perry. I'm just sayin....

Old 03-10-2011, 11:37 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I have no clue either. I've NEVER voted for him. Don't honestly know that many that have. Or at least that will admit to it. Me's thinking that it be the ones that can not think for themselves and go in and pull a straight party ticket. So wish they would do away with that option.
Perry won his last two elections with the percentage of people that voted for him in the 30s. The problem is, not enough people are voting and there are too many candidates (not this year though). More people need to vote. There is no reason why Perry should be back in office. One of the worst governors out there. Only thing we have hope for is that Perry resigns for some reason (maybe do to so many people hating him)? Either that, we wait years until the next election, which sucks.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:49 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btheferrett View Post
I have come to the conclusion that votes don't matter in Texas politics. I don't know anyone who voted for him...even the idiots that voted for Bush are not dumb enough to vote for Perry. I'm just sayin....
Im starting to wonder myself. I see all the reports about how much Perry won by, yet I seriously do not know ONE person who voted for him.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 PM

207 posts, read 506,561 times
Quote:
even the idiots that voted for Bush
i don't consider myself an idiot....it beat the alternative.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im starting to wonder myself. I see all the reports about how much Perry won by, yet I seriously do not know ONE person who voted for him.
I do. He has an R next to his name. That just seems to be the way it is in Texas sometimes.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:52 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I do. He has an R next to his name. That just seems to be the way it is in Texas sometimes.
Yes, that's true. I read once that something like 90% of people in BOTH parties vote straight-ticket....and Republicans still reign in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas