Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times

Advertisements

The ring of attractions around Downtown Dallas (which neither Fort Worth nor most other cities can match) such as Deep Ellum / Expo Park / Fair Park, Lakewood, The Cedars/Southside, Design District, McKinney Avenue, Knox-Henderson and Lower Greenville connected by Ross, and the Trinity River redevelopment are growing together and will eventually merge with downtown. Most would already include Uptown as part of downtown in this as the bridge park is completed.

When this all happens we will have one huge urban area which may or may not be called 'downtown'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 02:46 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The ring of attractions around Downtown Dallas (which neither Fort Worth nor most other cities can match) such as Deep Ellum / Expo Park / Fair Park, Lakewood, The Cedars/Southside, Design District, McKinney Avenue, Knox-Henderson and Lower Greenville connected by Ross, and the Trinity River redevelopment are growing together and will eventually merge with downtown. Most would already include Uptown as part of downtown in this as the bridge park is completed.

When this all happens we will have one huge urban area which may or may not be called 'downtown'.
Exactly. Just like the original "downtown" NYC - the financial district- is pretty sleepy, but the ring of "downtown" neighborhoods around it (everything south of 14th Street- SoHo, Tribeca, Chinatown, the Village, etc) are the vibrant downtown city life.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,221 times
Deep Ellum is one of my favorite Dallas neighborhoods. Sadly, it was already in decline by the time I was old enough to drink down there about a decade ago. I also think it's on the upswing again.

And I can agree that Dallas has great nightlife, but in uptown, Knox-Henderson, Greenville, etc., rather than downtown proper. However, if you think all Fort Worth has is Sundance Square, I'd say you haven't been to Fort Worth in a long while either. Fort Worth has developed and is still developing rapidly all along West 7th to the cultural district and also has the restoration of the Near Southside neighborhood in full swing. The biggest difference between Dallas and Fort Worth is that on Fort Worth's side, the core of the city feels more like a cohesive unit at this point where the different neighborhoods strengthen and compliment each other, whereas in Dallas the central core is a seesaw with some neighborhoods on the upswing while others are still falling. Dallas is also much larger and denser at its core, and I'd imagine a bigger job to clean up than Fort Worth and ultimately has more potential if everything would ever just come together. DTD doesn't HAVE to be much more than a business district, Turtlecreek is absolutely right that there are more than enough nearby entertainment districts. But in a thread comparing downtown CBD to downtown CBD, Fort Worth clearly does it best.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM

So you are including West 7th and Museum District as part of Downtown Fort Worth?

Which neighborhoods next to Downtown Dallas are 'falling'?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:03 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
The failures of Deep Ellum has to do with the lousy management and leadership in that area; however, they seem to enjoy painting murals over there, bar hopping, and having rock festivals which is still cool.

They have not adapted to the sub-cultures in Dallas which is largely Latino. There aren't any salsa or Latin Pop nightclubs in Deep Ellum. It's their loss really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Deep Ellum is one of my favorite Dallas neighborhoods. Sadly, it was already in decline by the time I was old enough to drink down there about a decade ago. I also think it's on the upswing again.

And I can agree that Dallas has great nightlife, but in uptown, Knox-Henderson, Greenville, etc., rather than downtown proper. However, if you think all Fort Worth has is Sundance Square, I'd say you haven't been to Fort Worth in a long while either. Fort Worth has developed and is still developing rapidly all along West 7th to the cultural district and also has the restoration of the Near Southside neighborhood in full swing. The biggest difference between Dallas and Fort Worth is that on Fort Worth's side, the core of the city feels more like a cohesive unit at this point where the different neighborhoods strengthen and compliment each other, whereas in Dallas the central core is a seesaw with some neighborhoods on the upswing while others are still falling. Dallas is also much larger and denser at its core, and I'd imagine a bigger job to clean up than Fort Worth and ultimately has more potential if everything would ever just come together. DTD doesn't HAVE to be much more than a business district, Turtlecreek is absolutely right that there are more than enough nearby entertainment districts. But in a thread comparing downtown CBD to downtown CBD, Fort Worth clearly does it best.

Last edited by artsyguy; 06-28-2011 at 04:44 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 PM

There are probably a hundred or more owners in Deep Ellum - what do you call lousy management and leadership?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:17 PM

11 posts, read 26,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcre8tive View Post
Deep Ellum has been on the upswing for the past few years.
Where? Everytime I drive through I'm constantly reminded of the empty buildings and for lease for sale signs. One day a business is open the next day it's closed. Theres nothing there but a tattoo shop, a goth shop, a barbecue joint, Lizard Lounge, 7-Eleven, and a bar. Welcome to Deep Ellum.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:19 PM

Pepe & Mito's to open Pepe's Ranch in Deep Ellum | www.pegasusnews.com | Dallas/Fort Worth

While Pepe & Mito's sits on the edge of Deep Ellum, Pepe's Ranch will be smack in the middle. The news that Dada has opened a new small bar next-door as well as the imminent opening of a Cajun bar-restaurant called The Free Man is giving Deep Ellum yet more critical mass.

"Pepe & Mito's has been open for 17 years -- we're Deep Ellum fans, we love the people and the neighborhood, why would we want to open anywhere else," she says

Old 06-28-2011, 04:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Exactly. The hundreds of owners keep "benchmarking" off of failed management technique and methods. They have not adapted to the Latino culture or population that is in Dallas. Very pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
There are probably a hundred or more owners in Deep Ellum - what do you call lousy management and leadership?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:41 PM

Pepe and Mito are what, German?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas