Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2020, 09:30 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I had a root canal on a molar about 30 years ago. For many years, I just had a filling and then about a dozen years ago, that filling was replaced with a crown. No problem all of these years until a recent infection. I went to 2 endodentists. The first one said she couldn't tell what was wrong just from the x-ray. She thought there was a problem with one of the roots and saw something suspicious on a second root, but wouldn't know until she started to retreat the first root. The second endodentist said it's possible that there is a remnant left from a baby tooth or old root material and he also spoke about the second root and I didn't understand what he said. He recommended extracting the tooth. The antibiotic got rid of the infection but that tooth is still sensitive. I would like to save the tooth but the second endodentist said I could go through the expense and agony of a retreatment but would still end up having the tooth extracted.

I am bewildered. How can there be a piece of baby tooth or old root left after 30 years and no one noticed? I don't really understand what is going on?

BTW, I am the world's worst dental patient and dentists just don't have the patience for me.
My husband just had his tooth extracted today by the dentist. After the first consultation and 3D xRay and on the second appointment, the Endodontist removed the crown or bridge. That was when he found the tooth too short and shaking. He said that treatment would last a couple of years the most and the tooth would have to be removed. He also saw something suspicious on the second root, and my husband is going back to him for that treated.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:18 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
My husband just had his tooth extracted today by the dentist. After the first consultation and 3D xRay and on the second appointment, the Endodontist removed the crown or bridge. That was when he found the tooth too short and shaking. He said that treatment would last a couple of years the most and the tooth would have to be removed. He also saw something suspicious on the second root, and my husband is going back to him for that treated.
I think a lot can be hidden under a crown and it doesn't always show up on an X-ray. I like and trust my dentist but a couple of times when there was decay under a crown, by the time we found it it was too late to save the tooth. Most recently, about a year ago, I knew something was wrong with one tooth- for me the sign is a "throbbing" feeling in the area after exertion such as walking up stairs. The dentist took multiple X-rays and finally said it MIGHT be a hairline crack in a root. He could go in and try to fix it but might not be able to. I said l'd rather go straight to an implant. The oral surgeon reported that yes, it WAS a hairline fracture. Glad I got the implant.

I've seen what my X-rays look like. I can't believe how subtle potential problems look on an X-ray.

Old 11-03-2020, 06:17 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Did your husband have the tooth extracted or only retreated because you said something about the second root be treated?

Old 11-03-2020, 06:43 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
I have a tooth which shakes?
I can shake it,my dentist back in 1978 said it is living on borrowed time.
WILL it eventually come out?

Old 11-07-2020, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stresslessdds View Post
Hello. Sorry for the late responses recently. I've been quite busy. For you, I would visit the dentist. They will most likely take a panoramic x-ray. The reason it can be a problem is that since the tooth had a cavity, there is a chance that the roots have bacteria as well. In cases like this, a patient can get an infection in the bone underneath the wisdom tooth and the patient wouldn't feel any pain until much, much later. More often than not, it's better to take the roots of the wisdom teeth out.
Okay, so I'm just going to ask a couple questions in response to this, because that is what this topic is for.

If I go in for this root extraction process, are they going to give me antibiotics beforehand? I ask because I have a mild heart condition and am prone to infections in my heart. I think, though I'm not really sure, that antibiotics are given to patients with heart problems. The only problem is that the last time I took them, I had an allergic reaction that caused my face, neck and throat to swell up. So I'm not sure how they would deal with this.

The other thing is that I'm not good with medication in general, or pain medication. I'm sensitive to medication and require a children's dosage, even if it's something as simple as the allergy medication I take. I've also had bad reactions to pain medication such as Tylenol, which caused me to have tightness in my chest and trouble breathing. So I'm not too sure about any of this either and how the situation would be dealt with in terms of anesthetizing the area and pain management afterwards.

I ask because I probably need to get both of my wisdom teeth out. I confess the one on the right has been crumbling away for the last couple of years, and is probably rotten if I'm being perfectly honest with myself. I've never had any kind of surgery before, or sedation (which is a must if I go through with this), and with my history of heart problems I honestly wonder if there is a risk of complications from the surgery.

And yes, I know these are things that I should probably discuss with my doctor seeing as how it involves my health and medication. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to seek information from more than one source before making my decision.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 2,518 times
Hi there, I wonder if you might be able to provide some insight. I had an amalgam filling in a premolar on my upper jaw changed after 15+ years to a white composite filling. It cost me $240. I have had an xray done in the past by a dentist for this tooth and it was quite deep. The dentist who changed the filling didn't have an x-ray done but I told him it was deep. The tooth seemed to heal fine and two weeks later I was chewing on something and suddenly I got a quite sharp pain. It only happens when pressure is applied on the tooth. It's not sensitive to hot or cold. I thought the filling cracked. I couldn't eat anything on it for about 4 days until I saw my dentist. He applied cold air to it and couldn't find any cracks. He thinks it is a malocclusion so filed it down. It has been 3 days and I have tried to eat just soft foods but today I tried something a little harder and I'm scared to fully bite down because I can feel sensitivity/slight pain already when applying a little pressure. I feel like my cheekbone and surrounding area of this tooth is a little sore and I'm worried, I've been getting really upset from the stress of not knowing what's going on. Is it possible with a malocclusion that the pain comes 2 weeks after the filling is done? And secondly, if it ends up being more serious and I need a root canal for example, how can I try to ensure this tooth lasts a lifetime if possible? I've heard different things about getting a crown and I just don't want to do something and later find out something I wish I knew before. Thank you

Last edited by Starry_eyed; 11-08-2020 at 09:22 AM..

Old 11-08-2020, 05:29 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times
Quote:
Did your husband have the tooth extracted or only retreated because you said something about the second root be treated?
The Endodontist removed the crown, examined the area and told DH not to waste money on a root canal. DH followed his advice and had that remaining tooth stump extracted by a regular dentist. Endodontist told him that: "we dentists do not know the source of the infection. It could be the tooth next to it. .. to wait a few months if a treatment on the other tooth is necessary."
But less than a week after the extraction of the shaking tooth stump, my husband noticed that a bubble on the gum near the other tooth had disappeared. So another visit to the Endodontist may not be necessary after all. Next step is a dental implant by a periodontist or an oral surgeon.

Old 11-08-2020, 05:52 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Thank you ^ Sounds similar to my own situation.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:51 AM

44 posts, read 64,124 times
Quote:
I had a root canal on a molar about 30 years ago. For many years, I just had a filling and then about a dozen years ago, that filling was replaced with a crown. No problem all of these years until a recent infection. I went to 2 endodentists. The first one said she couldn't tell what was wrong just from the x-ray. She thought there was a problem with one of the roots and saw something suspicious on a second root, but wouldn't know until she started to retreat the first root. The second endodentist said it's possible that there is a remnant left from a baby tooth or old root material and he also spoke about the second root and I didn't understand what he said. He recommended extracting the tooth. The antibiotic got rid of the infection but that tooth is still sensitive. I would like to save the tooth but the second endodentist said I could go through the expense and agony of a retreatment but would still end up having the tooth extracted.

I am bewildered. How can there be a piece of baby tooth or old root left after 30 years and no one noticed? I don't really understand what is going on?

BTW, I am the world's worst dental patient and dentists just don't have the patience for me.

Hello. It appears that your situation is more on the unique side. I have personally seen many different and unique looking artifacts and lesions near the root tips of some of my patients so it can happen. As I mentioned in earlier comments, antibiotics do not typically get rid of infections but rather make them subside. So if there was an infection before the antiobiotics, there is still going to be an infection now. With that said, I would listen to the the endodontists you spoke with. You seem to be doing a good job getting second opinions which is highly encouraged. Typically, they will tell you exactly what you said that they mentioned...... do another retreatment with no guarantee of long term prognosis vs extracting now. It's really appears to be up to you at this point.

With all of my patients I always think in my head for a second, what would I recommend to my sister in this case assuming my sister was a millionaire. Looking at things like this is not realistic as patient's typically have financial concerns, but it gets me the best treatment option. In your case, if it were my sister, I would say do a root canal retreatment. I wouldn't call it agony, the nerves are already gone from the first root canal anyways. Also, since I'm assuming the whole millionaire thing for a second, cost isn't an issue.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:55 AM

44 posts, read 64,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anav12 View Post
What is the best remedy and medician for teeth to instant pain relief?

Assuming no allergies, I often recommend ibuprofen 600 mg taken once every 6 hours as needed for pain or ibuprofen 800 mg taken once every 8 hours as needed for pain. I choose 600 or 800 based on the patient's weight. Ibuprofen is great because it starts working within 30 minutes, and at 600 mg and higher doses, it also has a stronger anti-inflammatory property. It also doesn't bother patient's digestive system as much as most other drugs. Talk to a dentist to see what recommendations he or she has for your specific situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health