Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 04:18 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 734accountant View Post
Look at a map, it's pretty obvious the trend will be everything east of 275 & north part of M-5 (Haggerty Connector) — Livonia, Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield (except for lakefront) — will turn sketchier.
Based on what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 04:47 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I am surprise these young adults who grew up in 2000 sq ft house with large yards in suburb are comfortable in tiny 900 sqft house.
Some young adults who grew up in sterile communities designed around the car and lacking any kind of public spaces are willing to trade square footage for urbanization. Just like their parents decided that cramped 900 sq ft bungalows in cities were too small and that every member of the household needed the equivalent of a studio apartment to themselves.

Last edited by brodie734; 10-20-2016 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 03:26 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
I would think most cities that border Wayne County to the west and north will be at-risk in the next 10 years.

Mid-town may also start losing its luster once the tax-abatement are up, property rises and people realize a $10,000 tax bill does not make those mid-town $350,000 lofts so appealing.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:44 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Some young adults who grew up in sterile communities designed around the car and lacking any kind of public spaces are willing to trade square footage for urbanization. Just like their parents decided that cramped 900 sq ft bungalows in cities were too small and that every member of the household needed the equivalent of a studio apartment to themselves.
Until those hipsters have kids themselves. They'll be moving to the burbs soon enough.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:42 AM

11 posts, read 18,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Based on what?
They're already turning sketchy, dated housing stock, mediocre schools, it's pretty common for premier towns to be protected/divided by a major highway.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:59 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 734accountant View Post
They're already turning sketchy, dated housing stock, mediocre schools, it's pretty common for premier towns to be protected/divided by a major highway.
"They're already turning sketchy" is an opinion, not fact. Is crime getting comparatively worse there? Dated housing stock - do you have concrete evidence to suggest that housing stock in that area is aging faster than Canton, Plymouth, Northville, Novi, Walled Lake and Commerce Township or that there are fewer housing starts in that area?

Old 10-21-2016, 09:06 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times
West River is a busy plaza. I really do miss the Kohl's, though; especially handy for a family. It was about the same in terms of thriving when we moved here in '94. The Target is an especially nice one, as is the revamped theater on the corner.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:16 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
"They're already turning sketchy" is an opinion, not fact. Is crime getting comparatively worse there? Dated housing stock - do you have concrete evidence to suggest that housing stock in that area is aging faster than Canton, Plymouth, Northville, Novi, Walled Lake and Commerce Township or that there are fewer housing starts in that area?
The only one I'm qualified to opine on is Livonia, to which I would say you are generally correct. Is it "bad"? No.

When I was growing up, though, it was really kind of *the* big west side vanilla middle class suburb -- enormous and probably having a lot of characteristics of what Detroit neighborhoods of yore would have been like up until the 60s.

I had tons of friends from there.

What I can say about it is that virtually everyone left and I cannot possibly imagine them coming back, ever.

From what I understand in a lot of cases the schools have gone over the last 20 years from decent to borderline crummy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/04/bu...pagewanted=all

"Over the past two decades, for example, the number of auto-related manufacturing jobs in Michigan has fallen 34 percent, according to Economy.com. The number of automotive jobs in Kentucky jumped 152 percent over that period."

Old 10-21-2016, 10:21 AM

Sketchy

Another vague, qualitative term that has almost no value.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
The only one I'm qualified to opine on is Livonia, to which I would say you are generally correct. Is it "bad"? No.

When I was growing up, though, it was really kind of *the* big west side vanilla middle class suburb -- enormous and probably having a lot of characteristics of what Detroit neighborhoods of yore would have been like up until the 60s.

I had tons of friends from there.

What I can say about it is that virtually everyone left and I cannot possibly imagine them coming back, ever.

From what I understand in a lot of cases the schools have gone over the last 20 years from decent to borderline crummy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/04/bu...pagewanted=all

"Over the past two decades, for example, the number of auto-related manufacturing jobs in Michigan has fallen 34 percent, according to Economy.com. The number of automotive jobs in Kentucky jumped 152 percent over that period."
I agree with you, but don't think anyone views Livonia as a top-tier suburb anymore. That's been true for around a decade and the home prices (post-2008) have adjusted to reflect this.

Livonia is the destination for families who can't afford Plymouth/Canton or (those who buy on the northwest side) Northville/Novi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit