Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,411,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG!!!!!!!!!! I am so frustrated but have no one to blame but myself!!!

Overall, I have lost 13 pounds. I had been down 19 pounds but have gained 6 back. I keep losing and gaining the SAME SIX POUNDS!!!!!!!!

To top that off, I really need to lose a total of about 20 MORE pounds. That sounded a lot easier when I was six pounds lighter and could say, "Well, I need to lose about 14 more pounds..."

When I stay on the program, I slowly lose weight. But after the holidays and all the travel, I got out of the practice of going to the meetings. THEN slowly, I quit logging my points. Of course, that's when the pounds crept back up.

One thing that's going against me mentally is that I'm tall, so I honestly don't "look so bad." BUT - I HATE this roly poly flabby fat around my stomach - and of course, I feel and look better with the extra pounds off.

Another challenge that I have is that my husband and I travel a lot. I get out of my groove - miss a meeting or two for legitimate reasons and then start to slide right off again. Eat weird food when we're on the road. Then I get afraid to get on the scale when we get home. Then I starve myself for a few days telling myself, "Just a couple of days and then I will get on the scales and it will be OK" - but then because I'm really not eating in a balanced way, well - it's just not as effective as the WW program.

Tonight I got my head together and I'm back on the bandwagon - going to the meeting tomorrow!
I have been up and down the same 6 lbs myself, I was at the 57 lb weight loss mark around Thanksgiving and now I am 51.8 lbs down. I hope to contine loosing, I have 26 more to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have been up and down the same 6 lbs myself, I was at the 57 lb weight loss mark around Thanksgiving and now I am 51.8 lbs down. I hope to contine loosing, I have 26 more to go.
Thank you for the encouragement, especially from someone who has lost a significant amount of weight and kept the vast majority of it off!

I was really down on myself but after realizing that I am down 13 pounds (and a lot of inches) from this same time last year, I decided to quit beating myself up and just get back on program.

So I am going to the meeting tonight and starting this morning, tracking my points again. I know it works! I just have to get back in the mindset again.

We have a big vacation coming up in June - only 8 weeks away! I think it's realistic of me to be able to lose a pound a week if I get serious about it right now. Wish me luck!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:

I honestly don't "look so bad."

If you are healthy and you exercise and your blood data and doctor give you the green light, why are you beating yourself up? Your problem may be more psychological than physical.

Maybe accepting a 90% solution is better than beating yourself up for a 100% solution.

It may be a trade off. It may sound flippant but maybe you need to lower a perfect standard.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you are healthy and you exercise and your blood data and doctor give you the green light, why are you beating yourself up? Your problem may be more psychological than physical.

Maybe accepting a 90% solution is better than beating yourself up for a 100% solution.

It may be a trade off. It may sound flippant but maybe you need to lower a perfect standard.
Oh, no, I am twenty pounds overweight by just about anyone's standard. I can only improve both my health and my looks by getting rid of that weight.

I do, however, want to lose it slowly in order to avoid having saggy skin - especially saggy facial skin!

But I see what you're saying, and this is part of my battle. I used to weigh 225 pounds - which was WAY overweight for me. I have kept the majority of the weight I initially lost off for about ten years. BUT - I have lost down to my ideal weight in the past (about 8 years ago) and would really like to get back down to that, which is the twenty pounds I keep talking about.

And when I say "ideal weight" I mean ideal for ME. Not PERFECT - just really looking good. Since I was in my forties when I lost it before, I feel that I can lose it again. It's so frustrating to have those smaller clothes still hanging in my closet - they looked so cute on me and now I can't wear them!!!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Oh, no, I am twenty pounds overweight by just about anyone's standard. I can only improve both my health and my looks by getting rid of that weight.

I do, however, want to lose it slowly in order to avoid having saggy skin - especially saggy facial skin!

But I see what you're saying, and this is part of my battle. I used to weigh 225 pounds - which was WAY overweight for me. I have kept the majority of the weight I initially lost off for about ten years. BUT - I have lost down to my ideal weight in the past (about 8 years ago) and would really like to get back down to that, which is the twenty pounds I keep talking about.

And when I say "ideal weight" I mean ideal for ME. Not PERFECT - just really looking good. Since I was in my forties when I lost it before, I feel that I can lose it again. It's so frustrating to have those smaller clothes still hanging in my closet - they looked so cute on me and now I can't wear them!!!
Just realize it's 69 times harder to keep the weight off than it is to take it off. There's a psychological component to health. Being frustrated every day is stressful and unhealthy. If you can take it off and keep it off and not be stressed then you'll be OK - but few people achieve that. What happens more often is they lose the wieght and put it back on and get depressed/frustrated. Sometimes you just have to accept it and move on. Life is too short to be in anguish.

There are three types of people in the world: Overweight people, not overweight people, and temporarily not overweight people.

PS. I just saw your photo. You are one nice looking lady.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just realize it's 69 times harder to keep the weight off than it is to take it off. There's a psychological component to health. Being frustrated every day is stressful and unhealthy. If you can take it off and keep it off and not be stressed then you'll be OK - but few people achieve that. What happens more often is they lose the wieght and put it back on and get depressed/frustrated. Sometimes you just have to accept it and move on. Life is too short to be in anguish.

There are three types of people in the world: Overweight people, not overweight people, and temporarily not overweight people.

PS. I just saw your photo. You are one nice looking lady.
Wow, thank you very much!

I guess I fall into the "overweight but not obese" category. I mean, I really think there are overweight people and then there are MORBIDLY OBESE people. At 225, I was morbidly obese. At my current weight, I guess psychologically I am so happy NOT to be 225 or even close to that, that I sort of rebel sometimes and think, "to hell with it - life's too short not to enjoy this treat!" as I subconsciously decide I'd rather be a size 12 or 14 and eat the ice cream than be a size 8 or 10 and try to psyche myself out with some lowfat "dessert" that really doesn't taste at all like Haagen Daz!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,264 times
I am down almost 57 pounds. I'd like to lose about 13 or 14 more, but it is not coming off very easily anymore.

I had a few months where I stopped exercising as much so I'm trying to get back into that. It is frustrating to only have a 0.2 loss last week when I stayed on plan and got more activity points than ever. I'm trying to just stay on track, not worry about using some of my extra points and focus more on the non-scale victories. On Sunday I went for a walk/jog and I ran for 1/2 mile straight. I know that sounds pretty pathetically simple, but it's something I could not do before.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM

206 posts, read 215,445 times
The meetings are key, and so is counting points. If you go to the weightwatchers.com site, they give tips for eating out in restaurants. If you can't find it let me know and I'll try to find it for you.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 PM

206 posts, read 215,445 times
BeagleLady, that's not pathetic at all. running 1/2 mile is sure more than I can do. You're doing good.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 AM

Oh my gosh, I am so frustrated!!!!!! I started up with the program again Monday (started really tracking yesterday but stuck to the plan all day Monday as well). I have GAINED TWO POUNDS.

Very frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss