Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:30 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times

Advertisements

Fad diets generally don't work, or, if they do, it's short-lived, and you'll gain the weight back. Your best bet, in my opinon, is to get some regular exercise. Walking is an excellent choice, and all you need are some decent walking shoes. Stay away from those silly infomercial exercise machines. Waste of time, and especially money. Get out in the fresh air. It'll do you alot more good than an indoor gym! And, yes, even if it's cold. Just bundle up, and go, (unless, of course, the wind chill factor is 70 below zero or something! ). Also, cut back on your fats and sweets. Notice, I said, cut back, not cut out. If you try to cut them out, entirely, you'll binge on them at some point. When I say cut back, though, I mean simply that. Do not drink diet sodas. If you want to endulge in a soda, have a regular one, on occasion. Leave the fat-free stuff on the shelf! All those things are simply marketing ploys. Drink lots of water, and eat healthy. Leave the fast-food alone. But, again, as with the soda, if you must endulge, do it only as an occasional treat. Don't look for fast fixes. I'm afraid that we, in America, are always looking for the instant everything, and that's just not realistic, particularly when you are trying to lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 08:38 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,082,895 times
I agree walking is the best way to loose weight. The only way I loose weight is by exercise. I hate gym exercise but find walking easy and relaxing. Remember you sometimes can loose inches before pounds , so do not always depend on the scales for your progress.
My daughters school is 1 1/2 miles away. I put her on the bus. I walk to her school and meet her there. I sit with her for her lunch.(Afternoon kindergarten) Then I have no choice but to walk the 1 1/2 miles back.
that makes 3 miles.
If I'm feeling really energetic, I walk back to get her (That would make 6 miles for the day). Start off slow if your not use to walking.

Last edited by DBNN; 02-07-2007 at 08:48 AM..

Old 02-07-2007, 08:49 AM

502 posts, read 2,295,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
I agree walking is the best way to loose weight. The only way I loose weight is by exercise. I hate gym exercise but find walking easy and relaxing. Remember you sometimes can loose inches before pounds , so do not always depend on the scales for your progress.
My daughters school is 1 1/2 miles away. I put her on the bus. I walk to her school and meet her there. I sit with her for her lunch.(Afternoon kindergarten) Then I have no choice but to walk the 1 1/2 miles back.
that makes 3 miles.
If I'm feeling really energetic, I walk back to get her (That would make 6 miles for the day). Start off slow if your not use to walking.
Exercise and healthy eating without depriving yourself is key. I like Weight Watchers because you can eat anything. They just show you how to eat the right portions. Weight Watchers is not about loosing weight quickly, it is about learning lifestyle changes that make you a healthier person. They also have support groups which is very helpful when you are trying to loose weight. Geez, you would think they are paying me

Old 02-07-2007, 10:15 AM

85 posts, read 283,628 times
no it did not work for me weight watchers worked well. It is changing your eating habits and the way you look at food, losing weight slowly is best and exercise is very important.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:48 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
It's important to remember that you mustn't only count the loss of pounds to judge your success! When you begin exercising regularly, you tend to lose fat and convert to muscle, so it may not show in your 'weight' loss!
Also, for me, although I've never been overweight, I did get what I considered "pudgy" around my waist and stomach back in 2001. I just reverted to the habits I had when I was dirt poor and couldn't afford regular food.
I fasted on coffee, toast, a muffin or two, and water/tea on weekends. Saturday and Sunday were fasting days.
I would eat Monday through Friday large breakfasts and lunches, then stop by 1pm and have no dinner. It's hard to get used to at first, but once you acclimate, it's not really an issue and you can cheat here and there if a dinner invitation comes your way or you plan a special event on a weekend too. It's not a rigid plan, just a general way of living....and...it works. You lose the excess but maintain your healthy weight.
I also like fasting on weekends because you clear out your intestines of yuck and you know you're making progress when by Sunday your bowel movements have become minimal. It's good to get that crap (pun useful and intended! ) out!
I can't fast right now. I lost too much weight back in May and got dangerously thin and it's taken me 9 months to get 15lbs back and I still have more to gain. Right now I eat eat eat and don't hold back, though I don't drink much soda at all (rare) and keep fast food to a minimum. I do however gorge on fatty good foods like potatoes, round steaks, meatloaf (that I make), and casseroles. Today I'm making a hashbrown casserole using sour cream !! YUM!
CelticLady is right about low-fat foods and diet foods and sodas. They don't work. There's evidence that drinking whole milk helps you lose weight faster than drinking low-fat milk or skim milk. I don't know why in that case.
Diet Sodas contain Aspartame which is an artificial sweetner, but also the same chemical (formic acid) used by fire ants to kill their prey (the sting), and also contains formaldehyde...the same stuff that they use for embalming... It isn't easily removed by your body, but instead stores in the fatty deposits, especially the buttocks and hips, and...it causes a craving for sweets. Also, it's (as if that isn't already obvious...!) POISONOUS! Here're some of the issues associated with heavy Aspartame induction, especially for those who are addicted to diet sodas and go through many a day:
Eye
blindness in one or both eyes
decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
pain in one or both eyes
decreased tears
trouble with contact lenses
bulging eyes

Ear
tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
severe intolerance of noise
marked hearing impairment

Neurologic
epileptic seizures
headaches, migraines and (some severe)
dizziness, unsteadiness, both
confusion, memory loss, both
severe drowsiness and sleepiness
paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
severe slurring of speech
severe hyperactivity and restless legs
atypical facial pain
severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric
severe depression
irritability
aggression
anxiety
personality changes
insomnia
phobias

Chest
palpitations, tachycardia
shortness of breath
recent high blood pressure

Gastrointestinal
nausea
diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
abdominal pain
pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
itching without a rash
lip and mouth reactions
hives
aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

Endocrine and Metabolic
loss of control of diabetes
menstrual changes
marked thinning or loss of hair
marked weight loss
gradual weight gain
aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
severe PMS

Other
frequency of voiding and burning during urination
excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
increased susceptibility to infection

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
death

irreversible brain damage
birth defects, including mental retardation
peptic ulcers
aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
hyperactivity in children
severe depression
aggressive behavior
suicidal tendencies

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Epstein-Barr
Post-Polio Syndrome
Lyme Disease
Grave’s Disease
Meniere’s Disease
Alzheimer’s Disease
ALS
Epilepsy
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
EMS
Hypothyroidism
Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
Fibromyalgia
Lupus
non-Hodgkins
Lymphoma
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

Stay AWAY from Diet Sodas or any "foods" loaded with Aspartame. CRAZY! If you have a craving, drink or eat the real thing.

Last edited by MoMark; 02-07-2007 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-07-2007, 02:14 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,529,797 times
Where did you obtain this information on Aspartame?

Old 02-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Where did you obtain this information on Aspartame?
I became aware of it's dangers years ago at work when my peers who were dieting weren't losing weight but drinking boss-size containers of diet Coke. I'd heard that Aspartmame could be causing the opposite of the intended effect...weight gain... and then in researching it, I became aware that people have been suffering from the effects of aspartame mimicking as other sicknesses and diseases.
To refresh for my posting above, I simply input "aspertame toxic" into google and chose the reiteration of facts to input here for the purposes of my topic.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:28 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,438 times
My father was having extreme migraines for a full year. After all kinds of test and x-rays, the doctors couldn't find anything wrong with him.

A friend suggested he stop using Equal. I kid you not, his headaches went away! We really couldn't believe it.

He uses Splenda and feels no side effects at all. I hope there are no horror stories about Splenda-I swear by it! My sister-in-law told me there was a study done on Splenda which concluded that the body eventually reacts to it as if it were sugar-meaning no difference in how it affects your weight.
Any knowledge of that, Momark?

Old 02-07-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
My father was having extreme migraines for a full year. After all kinds of test and x-rays, the doctors couldn't find anything wrong with him.

A friend suggested he stop using Equal. I kid you not, his headaches went away! We really couldn't believe it.

He uses Splenda and feels no side effects at all. I hope there are no horror stories about Splenda-I swear by it! My sister-in-law told me there was a study done on Splenda which concluded that the body eventually reacts to it as if it were sugar-meaning no difference in how it affects your weight.
Any knowledge of that, Momark?
No, I don't have a clue about Splenda. But it worries me when it's a natural substance that's had a molecule removed....then I wonder what it's become and if there are negative connotations...I don't know though and I haven't studied up on it.
Equal though..I know of others who had severe headaches as well whose headaches disappeared when they stopped using Equal. Have you ever noticed that those who use it always use A LOT of it? It must be addictive somehow too. And, it's aspertame.
It is indeed eye-opening when you can make a direct link between an ingested item and a physical reaction and prove that the reaction stops if the ingestion of that substance is halted!
I use raw Turbanado sugar for my tea. I drink my coffee black. The raw sugar satisfies me and I know it's natural, and I don't use much. I am a Pop-Tart addict though... I'm grateful with my addiction to frosted strawberry that they are now certified as "transfat free"!!!

Old 02-07-2007, 08:52 PM

79 posts, read 333,662 times
the best advice i ever got:

cut your daily intake by 500 calories.
the easiest way to do this is to cut back your food by 250 calories,
and add an activity to exercise off 250 calories.

this way you don't starve and you don't have to spend hours at the gym either! consistently doing this you will loose a minimum of one pound a week. i know this isn't fast but it WILL work.

the OPRAH-FAST thing mentioned above is because your body goes into survival mode. by cutting too many calories your body freaks out. it doesn't know when the next calories will come, so instead of using the energy, it stores it, all of it- even the carrot.

the general dietary guidline is to maintain at least a daily intake of 1200 calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss