Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 04:27 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,672 times

Advertisements

MoMark, that worries me about that Aspat...thing (however you spell it). One of our main drinks of the house is Crystal Light-any flavor, has been for a while now, because it doesn't have sugar. One of my children is really high-wired-a possible candidate for ADHD, and I was trying to limit his intake of sugar. But it is loaded with that Aspart ingredient. Now I feel like going back to what I did years prior and brewing my own ice-tea with sugar in it...and trying to figure out beside juice and milk and water...what else I can have in my house to drink!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 11:43 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
MoMark, that worries me about that Aspat...thing (however you spell it). One of our main drinks of the house is Crystal Light-any flavor, has been for a while now, because it doesn't have sugar. One of my children is really high-wired-a possible candidate for ADHD, and I was trying to limit his intake of sugar. But it is loaded with that Aspart ingredient. Now I feel like going back to what I did years prior and brewing my own ice-tea with sugar in it...and trying to figure out beside juice and milk and water...what else I can have in my house to drink!
Honestly, not to upset or unduly worry you, but I'd stop allowing him to drink that stuff. I'd make tea and add a bit of fruit juice to sweeten it or raw sugar, in moderate amounts.
Then I'd watch him closely and see if his possible ADHD is improved or not.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:19 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I became aware of it's dangers years ago at work when my peers who were dieting weren't losing weight but drinking boss-size containers of diet Coke. I'd heard that Aspartmame could be causing the opposite of the intended effect...weight gain... and then in researching it, I became aware that people have been suffering from the effects of aspartame mimicking as other sicknesses and diseases.
To refresh for my posting above, I simply input "aspertame toxic" into google and chose the reiteration of facts to input here for the purposes of my topic.
I'll agree here!! My wife can't have anything with aspertame because it also induces migranes for her. It was one of the things her doctor told her to stay away from. She has less frequent migranes now.

As for slimfast...it's so oily! I tasted it once and it just slid down my throat. I really wanted to puke it up...sorry for the graphic. I've lost weight by staying on a healthy diet (not diet...but eating right).

Old 07-02-2007, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,228 times
If you exercise a little in the morning and again in the evening it will speed up your metabolism, especially if you do some light weights. And count your calories when doing slimfast, but if you don't eat enough your body will think it's starving and you won't lose. If you do about 1,200 calories and some exercise you will lose weight.

Weight Watchers is good too, but things kept coming up and I was missing meetings, and I got out of the habit of going. Then they charge you for every little thing. Slimfast worked a lot better for me.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:04 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,722 times
I tried slimfast years ago with some sucess initially, but once u go back to not drinking the slimfast u may find your metabolism has slowed so even just eating a balanced diet u may gain weight. I don't recommend this product because there are nutritional/chemical additive issues. If u want to hasten weight loss give up all white flour, sugar and sweets, rice, and fried foods. Eat 6 mini meals and make sure u get at least 4 servings of raw veggies and 4 of fresh fruit and roughly about 15 grams of lean protien. Try to do a physical activity when u fist wake up and in the evening after dinner. Drink water, drink water, drink water and give up all soda and sweetend beverages. What u want to do is jump-start your metabolism by eating the right foods at the right times in the proper amounts. It should not take u that long to lose 13 pounds. Good luck

Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 11,204 times
HI All,
Lisa here living in Brooklyn and I've got to say I lost 100 pounds!!! on slim fast. It was hard but I got a treadmil, weight system, steps, yoga ball, plus free weights, and billy blanks video. I had and still do a membership to bally's and newyork sports club but didn't go. I stayed home motivated myself and did it!!! I lost money with the memberships and still (want to sell them) but I gained something more valuable my life, I was borderline for high blood pressure 140 over 84. I have to say, HOW BAD DO YOU WANT THIS!!! I love to eat but hate breakfest and lunch so they were the hours I worked out. LOOK you won't take off the pounds until your're ready!!! You were not ready, It's not a magic drink you still have to workout Oprah was not WORKINGOUT at that time!!!!!!!! you have to work out. LOOK if you workedout 3 days a week FOR 1 HR no shakes you would notice the difference, now imagine the workout and shakes. You have to put something in, in order to get something out OMG...
MAKE UP YOUR MIND DO IT OR DIE !!!
WOULD LOVE TO MEET FOLKS IN BROOKLYN ON SLIMFAST OR HAVE TRIED IT!
P.S. YOU WILL WORK OFF THAT SUGAR AND SODIUM 200MG NO PROBLEM IF YOUR WORKING OUT, THE KEY IS TO WORK OUT!!!!!!!! TURN OFF THE DAM TV PUT ON SOME MUSIC AND START MOVING!!!!!!
P.S.P.S. WAS 270 POUNDS NOW 170 AND COUNTING SKIN STILL TIGHT USING MY CREAMS AND GLOWING , LOVE IT!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 11,201 times
Default Weight Loss

Hey,
Yes, I've lost weight on "slim-fast". But it was because I was doing a temporary partial "FAST" from food by taking liquid only. I drank mostly "equate" (walmart's brand of ensure), "boost" (before they moved it to plastic bottles), "slim-fast", and other grocery store similar brands. Usually just had one can for breakfast, one for lunch, one for evening. I also drank juices, but just to get a different taste occasionally. Lost 25 lbs in 6 wks. Have no known diseases and in good health prior. Also had full lab work done after; and all was normal except for elevated protein in urine.

Of course, gained nearly all of it back-- just wanted to give digestion a break; but not kill my kidneys! More recently, I just went "~90% WHOLESOME". Diet consisted of tons of fresh fruit and fresh raw vegetables; mostly water; some juice; nuts; quaker oat square, crunchy raisan nut bran, frosted mini-wheat cereals; brown cow yogurts; string cheese, "Ezekial bread/toast (w/peanut butter, honey, bananas/strawberries)occasional "veggie subway sandwich", and some cooked vegetables like green beans, cabbage; (forgot: also had boiled and scrambled eggs a few times). Lost nearly 20 lbs in the same time frame, --much more enjoyable, sustainable, and good habit forming than the liquid cleanse.
I still enjoy some meat, dessert here and there; but being 20lbs less (basically got to my ideal body wt) feels and looks great.

So, if it's okay with your doctor, try the liquid-only for quick loss, but move on the healthy foods for the better life. --oh yeah, for super octane, add "physical activity".

Last edited by Night Sky; 07-17-2007 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,808 times
slim-fast has 34 grams of sugar. that's one helluva insulin spike.

slim-fast is only helpful if you can replace a large meal with it. for many people i know, they drink one and it does nothing for hunger and they end up eating a meal in addition to it, thus defeating the purpose.

you'd be better off with a glass of milk and one scoop of whey protein.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:48 PM

72,410 posts, read 18,198,148 times
I wish I could have slimfast,but I am alergic to milk

Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,982 times
I have been using Slim Fast for awhile and have lost 60+ lbs. Of course I HAVE to do some form of exercise. Walking, working in my garden, home improvements, etc. all have helped. I would not want to continue on a steady basis using only Slim Fast. If I drink one in the morning I am fine until lunch. My body just can''t handle cold cereal in the a.m. Too many carbs. If I eat a balanced lunch and very light dinner, I am fine.

I even have eaten cold cereal w/skim milk for a light dinner and find that is ok. Cereal just leaves me hungry in the a.m.

Tried Jennie Craig years ago. It worked!!! But then my lifestyle took a drastic change and I could no longer afford the food nor the long drive to the centre. It was a good program then, but I made bad choices and gained all back.
As others have posted, sensible meals, exercise, etc. good for the old body. But you have to decide to do this for yourself and don't ever dwell on the backslides that do occur.

But with Slim Fast as in all things, moderation is the key ingredient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss