Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:45 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Slimfast might be new to your ear, but that would mean you're pretty young. It's been around for decades and was a HUGE dieting fad back in the 1980's and 1990's.
Yeah, it's been around for a looong time. I tried it, way back when. It only made me hungry. Later, I discovered why - I have PCOS, and therefore sugar is not a good thing for me. Slim-Fast is full of it. Needless to say, I never lost a pound on that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
It's important to remember that you mustn't only count the loss of pounds to judge your success! When you begin exercising regularly, you tend to lose fat and convert to muscle, so it may not show in your 'weight' loss!
Also, for me, although I've never been overweight, I did get what I considered "pudgy" around my waist and stomach back in 2001. I just reverted to the habits I had when I was dirt poor and couldn't afford regular food.
I fasted on coffee, toast, a muffin or two, and water/tea on weekends. Saturday and Sunday were fasting days.
I would eat Monday through Friday large breakfasts and lunches, then stop by 1pm and have no dinner. It's hard to get used to at first, but once you acclimate, it's not really an issue and you can cheat here and there if a dinner invitation comes your way or you plan a special event on a weekend too. It's not a rigid plan, just a general way of living....and...it works. You lose the excess but maintain your healthy weight.
I also like fasting on weekends because you clear out your intestines of yuck and you know you're making progress when by Sunday your bowel movements have become minimal. It's good to get that crap (pun useful and intended! ) out!
I can't fast right now. I lost too much weight back in May and got dangerously thin and it's taken me 9 months to get 15lbs back and I still have more to gain. Right now I eat eat eat and don't hold back, though I don't drink much soda at all (rare) and keep fast food to a minimum. I do however gorge on fatty good foods like potatoes, round steaks, meatloaf (that I make), and casseroles. Today I'm making a hashbrown casserole using sour cream !! YUM!
CelticLady is right about low-fat foods and diet foods and sodas. They don't work. There's evidence that drinking whole milk helps you lose weight faster than drinking low-fat milk or skim milk. I don't know why in that case.
Diet Sodas contain Aspartame which is an artificial sweetner, but also the same chemical (formic acid) used by fire ants to kill their prey (the sting), and also contains formaldehyde...the same stuff that they use for embalming... It isn't easily removed by your body, but instead stores in the fatty deposits, especially the buttocks and hips, and...it causes a craving for sweets. Also, it's (as if that isn't already obvious...!) POISONOUS! Here're some of the issues associated with heavy Aspartame induction, especially for those who are addicted to diet sodas and go through many a day:
Eye
blindness in one or both eyes
decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
pain in one or both eyes
decreased tears
trouble with contact lenses
bulging eyes

Ear
tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
severe intolerance of noise
marked hearing impairment

Neurologic
epileptic seizures
headaches, migraines and (some severe)
dizziness, unsteadiness, both
confusion, memory loss, both
severe drowsiness and sleepiness
paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
severe slurring of speech
severe hyperactivity and restless legs
atypical facial pain
severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric
severe depression
irritability
aggression
anxiety
personality changes
insomnia
phobias

Chest
palpitations, tachycardia
shortness of breath
recent high blood pressure

Gastrointestinal
nausea
diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
abdominal pain
pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
itching without a rash
lip and mouth reactions
hives
aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

Endocrine and Metabolic
loss of control of diabetes
menstrual changes
marked thinning or loss of hair
marked weight loss
gradual weight gain
aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
severe PMS

Other
frequency of voiding and burning during urination
excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
increased susceptibility to infection

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
death
irreversible brain damage
birth defects, including mental retardation
peptic ulcers
aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
hyperactivity in children
severe depression
aggressive behavior
suicidal tendencies

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Epstein-Barr
Post-Polio Syndrome
Lyme Disease
Grave’s Disease
Meniere’s Disease
Alzheimer’s Disease
ALS
Epilepsy
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
EMS
Hypothyroidism
Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
Fibromyalgia
Lupus
non-Hodgkins
Lymphoma
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

Stay AWAY from Diet Sodas or any "foods" loaded with Aspartame. CRAZY! If you have a craving, drink or eat the real thing.
MoMark, you left off dandruff and toenail fungus from your list.
All of these ailments predate the use of Aspertame. Matter of fact, I have several of them and don't use, never have used, Aspertame.

Bear in mind that anyone with access to a computer is free to post anything on the internet. They even fancy up the misinformation with a snazzy website and a legit-sounding name.

Several years ago, I began using Splenda to sweeten my coffee, figuring my body could use a little less sugar. Less than three months in, routine blood work found a low hemoglobin level. The only new thing in my life was Splenda so I did a Google search and sure enough, found a doctor who insisted that Splenda inhibited the production of RBCs. So I stopped using Splenda. Soon I was constantly fatigued and short of breath. Unable to stand it, I called my doctor and the day of my blood test, he admitted me to the hospital. Blood transfusions. A colonoscopy. A 7.3cm malignant tumor in my colon. No damn wonder I was fatigued. It wasn't the Splenda at all. It was the Big C!!
I have learned from this that I need to take the internet information with a grain of saccharine.
Also, over-indulgence in anything is folly.

Now, I am battling a weight issue. Dieting, using Splenda in my coffee, (two cups a day) and drinking Pepsi Max (sparingly). I'm walking a mile every day and feeling better than I have in two and a half years. In 13 weeks, I've lost 16 pounds. I anticipate a good check-up when I make the rounds of GP, cardio, surgeon, oncologist in two weeks.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
It's important to remember that you mustn't only count the loss of pounds to judge your success! When you begin exercising regularly, you tend to lose fat and convert to muscle, so it may not show in your 'weight' loss!
Also, for me, although I've never been overweight, I did get what I considered "pudgy" around my waist and stomach back in 2001. I just reverted to the habits I had when I was dirt poor and couldn't afford regular food.
I fasted on coffee, toast, a muffin or two, and water/tea on weekends. Saturday and Sunday were fasting days.
I would eat Monday through Friday large breakfasts and lunches, then stop by 1pm and have no dinner. It's hard to get used to at first, but once you acclimate, it's not really an issue and you can cheat here and there if a dinner invitation comes your way or you plan a special event on a weekend too. It's not a rigid plan, just a general way of living....and...it works. You lose the excess but maintain your healthy weight.
I also like fasting on weekends because you clear out your intestines of yuck and you know you're making progress when by Sunday your bowel movements have become minimal. It's good to get that crap (pun useful and intended! ) out!
I can't fast right now. I lost too much weight back in May and got dangerously thin and it's taken me 9 months to get 15lbs back and I still have more to gain. Right now I eat eat eat and don't hold back, though I don't drink much soda at all (rare) and keep fast food to a minimum. I do however gorge on fatty good foods like potatoes, round steaks, meatloaf (that I make), and casseroles. Today I'm making a hashbrown casserole using sour cream !! YUM!
CelticLady is right about low-fat foods and diet foods and sodas. They don't work. There's evidence that drinking whole milk helps you lose weight faster than drinking low-fat milk or skim milk. I don't know why in that case.
Diet Sodas contain Aspartame which is an artificial sweetner, but also the same chemical (formic acid) used by fire ants to kill their prey (the sting), and also contains formaldehyde...the same stuff that they use for embalming... It isn't easily removed by your body, but instead stores in the fatty deposits, especially the buttocks and hips, and...it causes a craving for sweets. Also, it's (as if that isn't already obvious...!) POISONOUS! Here're some of the issues associated with heavy Aspartame induction, especially for those who are addicted to diet sodas and go through many a day:
Eye
blindness in one or both eyes
decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
pain in one or both eyes
decreased tears
trouble with contact lenses
bulging eyes

Ear
tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
severe intolerance of noise
marked hearing impairment

Neurologic
epileptic seizures
headaches, migraines and (some severe)
dizziness, unsteadiness, both
confusion, memory loss, both
severe drowsiness and sleepiness
paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
severe slurring of speech
severe hyperactivity and restless legs
atypical facial pain
severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric
severe depression
irritability
aggression
anxiety
personality changes
insomnia
phobias

Chest
palpitations, tachycardia
shortness of breath
recent high blood pressure

Gastrointestinal
nausea
diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
abdominal pain
pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
itching without a rash
lip and mouth reactions
hives
aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

Endocrine and Metabolic
loss of control of diabetes
menstrual changes
marked thinning or loss of hair
marked weight loss
gradual weight gain
aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
severe PMS

Other
frequency of voiding and burning during urination
excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
increased susceptibility to infection

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
death
irreversible brain damage
birth defects, including mental retardation
peptic ulcers
aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
hyperactivity in children
severe depression
aggressive behavior
suicidal tendencies

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Epstein-Barr
Post-Polio Syndrome
Lyme Disease
Grave’s Disease
Meniere’s Disease
Alzheimer’s Disease
ALS
Epilepsy
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
EMS
Hypothyroidism
Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
Fibromyalgia
Lupus
non-Hodgkins
Lymphoma
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

Stay AWAY from Diet Sodas or any "foods" loaded with Aspartame. CRAZY! If you have a craving, drink or eat the real thing.
You left off dandruff and toenail fungus.

Any bozo with access to a computer can put anything on the internet. Even fancy it up with a slick web site and an official-sounding name.

The ailments you listed predate Aspertame by hundreds of years. Some of them just didn't have names back then.

Over-indulgence in anything can lead to unwanted consequences. Everything in moderation.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
You left off dandruff and toenail fungus.

Any bozo with access to a computer can put anything on the internet. Even fancy it up with a slick web site and an official-sounding name.

The ailments you listed predate Aspertame by hundreds of years. Some of them just didn't have names back then.

Over-indulgence in anything can lead to unwanted consequences. Everything in moderation.
So, yes, I posted TWO replies to the same post. Sorry. Next time, I promise to think First. It would be nice if an understanding Mod would come along and delete 20328718. I'd be ever so grateful.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Slimfast contains:

Mostly sugar, fructose, hydrogenated soybean oil, canola oil, milk, sucralose, cellulose gel.

It has 6 grams of fat in 10 fl. oz. It has 210 mg of sodium. More carbs than fiber. "Sweetened with nutritive and non-nutritive sweetener", notice they dont mention the brands.

My brother is a dr and says it is like poisoning your gall bladder, among other things.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I wanted to lose about ten pounds for a special event. I did the Slim Fast thing (two meal replacements, one small meal in the evenings) and I did lose about 8 pounds in two weeks.

I also gained it back pretty quickly.

I am doing Weight Watchers now and am losing about a pound a week. I've lost 14 pounds so far. Down from a 16 to a 12. It's been three months and it's just now that people are starting to notice - because the rate of loss has been slow. But I can sure tell a difference in how I look and feel. I had to go buy all new bras and panties! I lost five inches in my waist, five in my bust, and three in my hips!

Slow and steady wins the race!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:42 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I wanted to lose about ten pounds for a special event. I did the Slim Fast thing (two meal replacements, one small meal in the evenings) and I did lose about 8 pounds in two weeks.

I also gained it back pretty quickly.

I am doing Weight Watchers now and am losing about a pound a week. I've lost 14 pounds so far. Down from a 16 to a 12. It's been three months and it's just now that people are starting to notice - because the rate of loss has been slow. But I can sure tell a difference in how I look and feel. I had to go buy all new bras and panties! I lost five inches in my waist, five in my bust, and three in my hips!

Slow and steady wins the race!
When I did WW a while back I lost 40lbs in 6 1/2 months. I was 42 at the time. I have kept it off since. WW is IMO the only way to sensibly lose weight and keep it off.
I did Slimfast about 20 years ago two weeks before a Hawaiian vacation. I lost about 8lbs too. They came back as the sun tan faded....lol.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
When I did WW a while back I lost 40lbs in 6 1/2 months. I was 42 at the time. I have kept it off since. WW is IMO the only way to sensibly lose weight and keep it off.
I did Slimfast about 20 years ago two weeks before a Hawaiian vacation. I lost about 8lbs too. They came back as the sun tan faded....lol.
Right - and then we also couldn't fit in those cute white capris we bought for vacation either, right?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:24 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
I mean, by drinking the cans at breakfast and lunch, and having a small meal. With minimum exercise (like walking-total of 20 or so minutes a day). Is it impossible to lose...oh...13 pounds? And I don't mean within 6 months but a lot sooner than that!
I have seen people replacing a meal with slimfast or using it instead of a snack but not sure if drinking just slimfast would work without affecting your health. Heard bad things about the additives in it. Have you tried lifting weights after your cardio? That helps a lot in losing weight quickly. Also, cut out carbs & sugars completely & eat only veggie salads & fruits. That diet combined with exercize should help you shed some pounds.

For much quicker results consider going on "juicing" diet where you squeeze out juices of fruits & veggies in a masticating juicer & drink just that all day. Its a detox diet & works quite well.
Best of luck.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:54 AM

3 posts, read 10,510 times
Losing the weight too much fast can be dangerous for your health. People can lose weight naturally by eating green vegetables, fruits and salad. Daily exercise (cycling, swimming etc) at least 30 is the best way to reduce weight effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss