Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:55 PM

79 posts, read 331,191 times

Advertisements

One of my friends lost 100 lbs. on a diet of strictly slim-fast and healthy choice meals. The shakes did cause him to become very painfully constipated and actually ended up in the hospital with gall bladder issues the Dr. claimed were caused by the slim-fast. Be careful with that stuff! If you really want to lose weight just try to cut the carbs out of your diet as much as you can. My parents lost weight very successfully on the no carb diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 06:45 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,191 times
I hate to sound stupid but I need to ask this. When you guys say "raw vegetables" I am sure you mean fresh ones (no canned or frozen) but do you also mean uncooked? Is it possible to eat green beans and peas and corn without cooking it even if it is fresh? I know fresh is better than their canned/frozen counterparts but do you guys cook them or just eat them right out of the package? As a side note I would love to see a separate thread with this topic that deals with foods - nutritious and otherwise. I think that would be very helpful to many of us. How about it Mods, is that possible? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:12 PM

14 posts, read 137,846 times
Default Slim Fast

Truthfully, Slim Fast has worked for me, I dropped 40 lbs in 5 months, the first couple of days were hard, but I got used to it, the down side, there are only 2 flavors that are tolerable, dutch chocolate and the cappuccino, the strawberry tastes like medicine!! if you want good info on weight loss, there is a good informational site out there called DidYouDiet

Old 09-10-2008, 04:33 AM

3 posts, read 100,380 times
Agree with Helene82.. pretty nice site.
As for the vegetables, Wandering_Spirit, I'd say one should eat what is normally eatable... and there is no need to force oneself eating uncooked corn,etc. .. I personally cook In addition, eating less + in right time + fresh healthy food helps

Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmom28 View Post
One of my friends lost 100 lbs. on a diet of strictly slim-fast and healthy choice meals. The shakes did cause him to become very painfully constipated and actually ended up in the hospital with gall bladder issues the Dr. claimed were caused by the slim-fast. Be careful with that stuff! If you really want to lose weight just try to cut the carbs out of your diet as much as you can. My parents lost weight very successfully on the no carb diet.
Losing weight can cause gallstones. Not slimfast. The side effect of losing weight too fast with slim fast can. Also your friend being constipated didnt allow him to pass his stones through stool as everyone normally does.

I think a lot of people that do the shake forget the part of adding fruit/veggie with it and dont mind the total fiber intake for the day. You have to watch that on any diet.
Fiber can get low if you are not eating healthy foods for most of your intake.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 94,108 times
Slim-Fast has always worked for me! I drink a can at 9am. then at about 11:30am I will have any 100 calorie snack, and I will have another can at 1pm. then at 3:30-4pm I will have a Slim-Fast snack (they are so yummy) and then for dinner at 5:30-6pm I will eat anything no special diet or dinner but I eat a very small portion and it is so satisfying and rewarding! I lose about 2-3 pounds a week and it stays off!! Oh yeah, of course I excercise about 20-30 minutes, 3-5 times a week on a treadmill and very light strenght training. YES SLIM-FAST CAN WORK WITH A PLAN YOU STICK TO FAITHFULLY!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:58 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Just look at the carbs on 1 can of Slim Fast! It's almost all sugar. And you'll probably be hungry in an hour or two after drinking your lunch. I don't know of anyone who lost weight using this as a diet plan.

I've thought about the nutrisystem because I need to lose 20-25 lbs. I gained after quitting smoking. Of course I'm not really great at exercising on purpose! I walk and stay moderately active, but otherwise....And now that Nea says she's lost 15 lbs. in one month, I seriously have to consider that! Thanks...
Same here. I quit last year....it will be a year in May. I was 115-120 before I quit. I now weigh in at 143. I need to lose a solid 20 lbs at least. I am not that active either so dunno what diet would be good. Don't you have to combine diet with exercise? My girlfriend lost 75 lbs on the nutrisystem diet but I think it cost her like 500 a month! Does that sound right?

Old 04-25-2009, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 99,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana
Just look at the carbs on 1 can of Slim Fast! It's almost all sugar. And you'll probably be hungry in an hour or two after drinking your lunch. I don't know of anyone who lost weight using this as a diet plan.

I've thought about the nutrisystem because I need to lose 20-25 lbs. I gained after quitting smoking. Of course I'm not really great at exercising on purpose! I walk and stay moderately active, but otherwise....And now that Nea says she's lost 15 lbs. in one month, I seriously have to consider that! Thanks...

SlimFast is horrible if you're trying to lose weight! I mean, the 4 main ingredients are skim milk, sugar, fructose, and cocoa. In other words, milk, sugar, and sugar.I don't matter if you're trying to lose weight if the thing you're taking to help you lose it is hurting your body. I suggest eating more fresh fruit and vegetables that you like. I tried the SlimFast diet and it's not for me. I wish you well. Keep pushing.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Yac; 04-27-2009 at 01:57 AM..

Old 04-28-2009, 03:40 AM

5 posts, read 101,779 times
Well i just skip my night's food and i used teh honey with hot boiled water in breakfast and you know i lose my 10 kgs in 4 months

Old 07-23-2011, 11:52 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,972 times
I think they changed the formula from the 80s when it first came out. I tried it back in '88 when I was 15 lb. overweight. I didn't lose weight, but the way it was formulated then, it gave me the runs real bad. It probably had lots of fiber. It was more costly (taking inflation into account) back then.
I tried it again once in the 90's to try to lose about 5 lbs., and it was cheaper by then and didn't do my bowels in. I can't recall whether it worked then, or whether I lost weight without it. But it's very restricted calories, and there's a program to go with it, so if you're good about sticking to the program to the letter, you should be able to get some results.
The amount of weight you'll lose in any given time varies based on your age (hence metabolism) and the amount of weight you really could stand to lose. (if you only need to lose 5 lb., it'll take a while, but if you need to lose more than 20 lb., then that first 5 lb. should come off sooner.)

Come to think of it, it didn't curb my appetite either time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss