Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 10:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
First childhood dog was a chihuahua (she was not a purebred) that my father's sister brought to Chicago on a Greyhound bus, in her coat pocket from Tennessee. Her name was Tiny and she gave birth to 6 beautiful healthy puppies and lived to be 18 years old at which time she was living with me in my own adult apartment! She passed away watching TV sitting like a sphinx with her ears straight up and her eyes wide open.

2nd dog was an elderly Sheltie I found at nightfall, roaming the streets in my neighborhood, she was filthy, with no leash, collar or ID. I took her to the vet the next day, she had parasites, I posted flyers everywhere in my neighborhood, had an RX filled for her and took her to be groomed. I had her for a couple of years and she became sick and had to be put down.

My last 2 dogs were Shelties (my preferred dog breed) one was a gift from my sister after my husband passed away, the second one was a crazy rescue from a shelter. These 2 dogs became old and sickly and had to be put down.

I won't have anymore dogs because I am selfish and I cannot put another dog down, it hurts too much.

Yes, I know, too much information. And yes, if I lose my mind I would get another Shetland Sheepdog or two, or three!

Sorry about your losses. They are certainly our friends and family.

(Lived in the Chicago area as a child and my dad brought my first puppy into the hospital in Evanston in the middle of the summer wearing an overcoat to surprise me. I was in there for yet another eye surgery and had bandages on my eyes). That was my first Collie - wonderful dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 05:37 AM

7,383 posts, read 3,539,248 times
I never liked dogs, in fact the thought of a filthy animal tearing my house up and peeing all over the place gave me so much anxiety. But then my kids begged me for a dog and who was I to deprive them of a happy childhood. So I gave in.

I can now say I have 1 dog. She is a rescue terrier mix. Very large dog. If I had to give her a review, it would be 5 stars. She really is good and sweet and loving and doesn't do any of the things I was worried about.

I also have a cat

But when they both go over the rainbow bridge, I think I need a break from pets for a bit. I love them and all, but it just aint my thing.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:41 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
I have had 6 dogs, all mixes of various types.

Husky/GSD mix was a great dog. Smart, loyal, friendly if a bit intimidating. Lots of energy, but it fit my lifestyle at the time. I would clone that dog if I could

Keeshond/something was also a good dog that I would have again. Less energy than the husky/GSD, but similar in temperament.

Husky/something. Best natured dog of the lot. For various reasons he wound up with my MIL, and she trained him to be a visitor dog at a retirement home. His only downside was that his head was heavy, and he loved to lean his head in people's laps, which meant some of the residents found him a bit difficult.

Pure mutt. I have no idea what she was. Definitely would have again.

Rottweiler/something. Great dog, except for the territoriality. Very friendly and social when away from home, but at home is very concerned with everything he can see from the windows. Hates the UPS guy and anybody with a noisy truck. I would not want a Rott if I lived somewhere with close by housing.

Some type of herding dog. Probably more energy than I need right now, and she gets agitated if people are in different rooms. If she wants to walk or be fed, she will be annoying and nip (no teeth) in an attempt to get you to do what she wants. The instinct in this one is so strong that I would not want another herding animal.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:25 AM

273 posts, read 208,438 times
I have a yorkie/schnauzer mix - never again! He absolutely loves my husband and only tolerates me. He's old but I think he's going to live forever. He's a terrible walker, barks at everything and everybody, cries and barks when he's alone.

I've had shepherds and would get one again.

An Airedale was a nice breed, probably would get one again.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:01 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times
Goodness thinking back to all the dogs I had growing up, to present day seems like a lot.

When I was a kid we had a Saint Bernard, Great Dane, and a dachshund. Best dog was the Saint Bernard. He was just so chill. I cried and cried when I found out her died.

Then when I got older we had a McNab. This dog is a working dog and we were not a working dog household. He tried to herd the neighbors dogs through the fence. He got destructive. My mom waited until my dad was out of town and she got rid of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs