Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 05:33 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,219 times

Advertisements

I have had a Husky, not again, too much shedding.

A little black dog I found under my car in a foot of snow. She was one of the smartest and most protective little dogs I ever had. I wish I knew her breed(s) I had her for about 6 years.

Pit bull Terrier, this dog was a clown. He had a great coat, great health. He got along fine with other dogs. Yes, I would own this breed again.

Rescued Rhodesian Ridgeback, great dog. He did have some health problems as he was full of worms when he was rescued as a puppy. My ex husband got him when we split up.

American Rednose Pit bull and Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, if a dog could be a soul mate, this dog was mine. I posted about him many times on this site. This dog was hard headed and smart. He was big. He kept me on my toes. No skin problems, good food, good coat. He lived to be 15 years old.

My little girl, the only dog I have today, is Colby Pit bull and Rednose Pit bull/Rhodesian Ridgeback. She is dog aggressive and loves people. She is very much in tune with my emotions. She was easy to train and she just wants to make me happy. No skin problems and has very good health. Little shedding, no barking, walks well on a leash.

The Pit bull is by far my favorite breed. I have to stress that owning this breed is not for everybody. They do require a firm loving hand in training and they need early socialization. They do tend to be animal aggressive as all Terriers are.
This breed of dog will require you to stay on your toes. They are affectionate and playful dogs. Very smart as well.

Recommend for the intermediate to advance dog owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 01:43 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Grew up with dachsunds - no way. While they are whip smart and fun to play with, they bark at EVERYTHING and always dug holes in the yard. And not good around kids (other than my sister and me).

Had a french basset breed that was simply delightful - wonderful personality and so sweet to everyone he met. However, despite regular grooming he shed like a mad man, which drove me nuts. He was also a bit headstrong and difficult to train.

Have an Aussie shepherd now. He's a sweet dog, but his herding tendencies are tough to deal with, and he barks at nothing. And way too much hair, despite regular grooming.

Red heeler/aussie cattledog - smartest dog I ever came into contact with. Loves me unconditionally. VERY easy to train. But very reactive to loud noise, kids and is overly protective due to some fear aggression. I think I'd get one again, but only as a puppy rather than an adult adopted from a rescue group. This dog came with a lot of emotional damage, and so we have to be very careful with him to keep him from getting triggered. I think if we got one from puppyhood, it would be the perfect dog.

Having said that, my husband and I have agreed that once the three current pets we have cross over the bridge, we won't be getting any more animals for our home.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:17 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,904 times
English setter
Papillion
Chinese Crested
Mini-Pomeranian (rescue)

American Staff terrier (rescue)

Love all of them. I do have concerns about the rescues though. The AmStaff is great but I always wonder what if. Has some aggression by his food (not with people only with other dogs/cats) so will he have aggression in other areas some time. This breed cannot afford a mistake.

The mini Pom has aggression/territory issues he has no teeth though. He had severe dental problems that the rescue group took care of. If the AmStaff had the issues the mini Pom has there is no way we could still have him.

The Crested has health issues that were costly and so did the Papillion. Both were/are great lap dogs for my wife. The setter was the nicest dog ever to everyone and everything. Gentle.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:30 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Grew up with dachsunds - no way. While they are whip smart and fun to play with, they bark at EVERYTHING and always dug holes in the yard. And not good around kids (other than my sister and me).

Had a french basset breed that was simply delightful - wonderful personality and so sweet to everyone he met. However, despite regular grooming he shed like a mad man, which drove me nuts. He was also a bit headstrong and difficult to train.

Have an Aussie shepherd now. He's a sweet dog, but his herding tendencies are tough to deal with, and he barks at nothing. And way too much hair, despite regular grooming.

Red heeler/aussie cattledog - smartest dog I ever came into contact with. Loves me unconditionally. VERY easy to train. But very reactive to loud noise, kids and is overly protective due to some fear aggression. I think I'd get one again, but only as a puppy rather than an adult adopted from a rescue group. This dog came with a lot of emotional damage, and so we have to be very careful with him to keep him from getting triggered. I think if we got one from puppyhood, it would be the perfect dog.

Having said that, my husband and I have agreed that once the three current pets we have cross over the bridge, we won't be getting any more animals for our home.
My wife loves them. I don't care for them myself. They are very difficult to housebreak, and many of them aren't reliable with housetraining their entire lives. It is the nature of the Dachshund beast

I do hope you change your minds about not having any more pets. Pets add so much joy to our lives. Their love and affection is worth the pain of eventually losing them.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:52 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,848,328 times
Ive owned a few cats and quite a few dogs and yes to all the dogs being owned again but not to the cats!

Old 05-28-2016, 05:21 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
German Shepard - Yes, although aggressive behavior towards people was an issue
Lab Mix - No, stubborn and would not listen - I know many labs are perfect dogs.
Dalmatian (deaf) - yes perfect dog.
Boston Terrier - Yes, although it was also aggressive towards other dogs.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:43 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
I do hope you change your minds about not having any more pets. Pets add so much joy to our lives. Their love and affection is worth the pain of eventually losing them.

This is how I feel about pets, too. I just don't see how people can get along without one after they lose one. It is true that we can die and if both my wife and I were to die our pets would be orphaned. But they can be given to family members, friends, etc. It just takes communication. I just feel that if I lose a pet I have to replace it with another one. They give so much more than they take from you, whatever that may be that they take from you. I am certain of it. I always tell people to get another pet if their beloved pet dies.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:57 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
No I think these two chis will be the last dogs or pets we own because we want to travel after they are gone and let us face it you just cannot travel with pets .

Old 05-30-2016, 07:29 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
No I think these two chis will be the last dogs or pets we own because we want to travel after they are gone and let us face it you just cannot travel with pets .

I understand. I can see why you're doing what you're doing, then.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:42 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,373 times
From childhood:
Labrador (2) one was a mix rescue and other was purebreed. great dogs, both were excellent with me when young. Couldn't say though I would choose that breed now in my late 20s but they were both wonderful childhood pets.

Since childhood:
chihuahua & Jack Russell mix - rescue. sweet dog but was SO hyper! Great for family with kids but was just my husband and I. We found him a very good home with kids due to his high activity. We should of done more research into breeds.

Austrailian Shepard - AMAZING dog! He is 4 but just diagnosed with epilepsy. Can be common in their breed.. Unfortunately. He's a sweetie and so smart. Quickest learner from a puppy. He has a very laid back personality and fits us perfectly. Though I have loved all the dogs I have had, he definitely holds a special place in my heart..

I keep feeling if/when our baby passes away.. Not to adopt anymore. Then I feel bad though as there are many wonderful dogs out there who needs good homes.. It's just so tough going through the loss of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs