Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 04:48 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodi View Post
From childhood to now I've had 9 dogs total. When I was growing up we moved around a lot and my parents were/are not the most dog savvy people on the planet, so that might help explain the number.

1. Husky: No way in hell! Unless this dog was A. an older adult and B. was lacking prey drive and insane energy. Nina was an untrained young B&W female from the humane society. She destroyed things, ate things, almost died from ingesting a rat the neighbors poisoned and bit me in the face. She ended up at a Husky rescue.

2. Pekingese X Cocker Spaniel X Miniature Poodle: Loved this dogs size, intelligence and personality, would like another if I could find one in a rescue or private re home. Nala came from a pet store in 1997 and lived till 2008.

3. Chow X ?: Another breed I would not want another one of. Chance was waaay to protective of me and could be scary at times. My dad got him for free from a coworker and we ended up re homing him when we had to move.

4. Lab X Doberman: If not for the size I'd like another one. She came from a bad situation; she was given to a teenage girl as a birthday present from her boyfriend. They split up and the dog ended up rotting in the backyard till the mom put an ad in the paper. We got her when she was around 5 in 2005 and she died in 2011.

5. American Pit Bull Terrier: Nope, don't want to deal with the aggression and health issues this breed has. Zane also came from a bad situation: He was left to die after some idiots tied fireworks to a litter of puppies necks and set them off. All but him and a female were killed. He has SO many issues it's not even funny. Dog aggression, agoraphobia, and skin/digestive issues. His anxiety if he leaves our property is so great that not even pills and a thunder shirt help. He'll be 8 this year and is definitely showing his age.

6. German Shepherd X Boxer: No way, too much crazy! Abby was supposed to be a search and rescue dog, but the leader of our group flaked out on us and I was stuck with what turned out to be an insane dog. She went to live with a couple that LOVES her kind of crazy.

7. Great Pyrenees X Anatolian X Lab: Love Pyr's and Labs, but they just get too big! Deputy came from a lady that pulls dogs from high kill shelters in really isolated and rural areas. He is turning 9 this year and has Canine Cognitive Dysfunction and mild hip issues.

8. Miniature Pincher X Dachshund X Chihuahua: Like small dogs, but not most specimens of those particular breeds. Kieber was found running along a busy highway as an estimated 8 week old puppy. He is INSANE; he chases/bites at his own feet/tail while growling at them, he has no off switch and almost failed several basic obedience classed. He will be 3 this year.

9. Husky X Border Collie X Akita: Not unless they are like the one I have right now! Mysti is a one-in-a-million dog. She bonded with me the first day I walked her at the shelter and is like my living shadow. She lived as a stray with several puppies before she was found. She's young, but we don't know her exact age.
It seems like you are blaming the lack of training and history of trauma on the dog breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 05:00 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
All my dogs have been rescues, most of them have been mixes. I really do like pit mixes. They are often smart, funny, playful, cuddly, lovers of all (well besides wildlife), just really nice personalities and very lovable. What I don't like is the stigma of having one. And worrying how people will react. Any breed that fits into the pit family is at risk of having been abused or being taken and then abused. Because they are so strong, thats a serious problem. I don't think they act any different then another dog with an trauma history, but they can cause alot more damage then many breeds. So that is something I have been mindful of when selecting dogs to adopt.

I don't have a farm, and I don't love to run, so working breeds tend not to be the best for me. We had a great Catahoula. Loved her. But keeping up with her exercise needs was hard. She was also high strung about pain and had hip dysplasia. When we had little kids, it wasnt a good match. We did the best we could, but we weren't the right family for her. She was the only dog we have had that didn't out live her life expectancy. When she was 12, we had to euthanize her because of the pain in her hips.

I fostered a lot of small dogs...and I liked them. But in general, I am just not a big fan of small dogs so I haven't had one as a pet (just fosters)

Old 09-04-2016, 05:04 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,033,587 times
Mutts, greyhounds, Pittie, and Shar-Pei.

And YES, I would own all of those breeds again.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:51 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,497 times
Siberian huskies - 4 pure (plus a Siberian/malamute mix and a Siberian/McKenzie mix), over a period of almost 50 years now. Absolutely adore them but they take a lot of energy when they are pups (till they 'mature' around age 6! ) If I were not getting beyond having another pup (they are really strong and can 'pull' hard - I am not sure I am up to that any more) I would take another one in a heartbeat when my 13.5 year old Siberian passes on - but just in case the next one is also 95 pounds I think it best to let younger people take them on. Pray for me that I will not see an available pup again because it would be hard to pass it by.

They have all had distinct personalities (this one is silent and actually respects boundaries - miracle of miracles) but all of them have been highly intelligent, gentle, loving, sweet pups - all female except the current one. Yes, they are 'independent thinkers' but that has an evolutionary root ... it is expected and fairly easy to deal with.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:57 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times
As a child, we always had field labs (hunting family) whom I loved, but they were super high energy and lived to hunt. So, no, wouldn't own that breed again.

chihuahuas (grandmother's dog)----omg, no, no, no. Far too yappy and needy.

jack russell terrier----no, no, no. Too high energy (mother-in-law's dog that she tried to give me).

Mini poodle---no, not a fan of small dogs and, again, yappy.

St Bernard---I adored my Saint. Not sure I'd have another b/c life span is far too short.

Golden Retriever---a million times yes!! They are the perfect dog and I'm not kidding. God-willing, I will always have a golden by my side.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:48 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
We've owned 3 Pomeranians and one Chow Chow. I love the Poms and Chows and would get another of each again, however, we now have a Pom, Chow and two tabby cats. The Pom is 12 y/o, the Chow 8 y/o and the two cats are 10 y/o. So we have 4 animals right now - that is a small zoo, really.

As these (gulp!) start to perish, the chances that we'll have three is pretty slim - possibly two animals, and no more. Cats and dogs are a lot of work and a decent chunk of money, too, if you're going to properly care for them. And they need to be properly cared for. I could see us getting a Yorkie Terrier one day, if we want to venture out and get a dog of a breed we haven't owned before, but having one dog or two is probably enough for us at one time. Chow Chows are kind of bossy to the other dogs in the family, but not so much that it can't be dealt with. They'll want chores, actually, or a decent amount of exercise, or they'll get bored. Chows are a great, beautiful and wonderful breed of dog. Pomeranians are small and adorable looking. They're small, but don't know it - they can bite and draw blood and both of those breeds are very loyal to their families. And I find that quality they have to be so irresistible.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:51 AM

15 posts, read 30,240 times
1) Skye Terrier. I don't remember this dog too well, because I was still just a little kid when he died. Very child-friendly
2) Labrador. Not gonna happen again. He was smarter than anyone else in the family. Loads of personality, and everyone loved him, but a lot of work
3) Akita. Belonged to my roommate in college. great dog, loved her to bits. Very well-trained
4) Huskies. got two of them. would gladly get them again. the only real downside is the amount of shedding goes beyond anything you'd expect. I could brush 'em every day for an hour, and still there'd be a lot of loose fur to clean up. cannot own a carpet if you have huskies

Old 09-18-2016, 08:01 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
As I was growing up
1, Beagle from a farm- put to sleep with distemper
2, miniature samoyed, rescue, bit me in the face, taken back to the pound
3, toy poodle adult male, too much grooming for my mom, breeder took him back
4, terrier mix, rescue, a great family dog who lived until she got cancer at 13 years old

My husband and I
1, Black Lab, sweet dog, hard to housetrain, chewed everything and anything until she was 4. Our first dog and we had her until she was 14
2, Yellow Lab, stole hats, gloves, shoes and anything else she could get her teeth on, but didn't chew them. She had agression issues now and then with the kids as an older puppy, and then growled at my brother one day. I smacked some sense into her the next time she growled and she never did it again. Our boys grew up with her and she followed them everywhere. She lived until she was 14.5, the two boys cried like babies (we all did)
3, Red Setter, pretty dog, but crazy, she was a rescue. Went blind and didn't do well with it. Terrified of everything. Ran into things and fell over. Had to put her down at 10 years old.
4, Yorkie/Poodle mix, BEST, SMARTEST dog we ever had. Had the face of a puppy and never lost her sweet looks. Easy to housetrain. Had her from 7 weeks until this June, 16.5 years old. All of us were/are heartbroken losing her.
5, Toy Poodle, sweet tempered, barked at everyone and everything, ended up with auto immune troubles and had to put her to sleep at 8 years old. Broke our hearts.
6, Yorkie/poo, most cuddliest dog we've ever had, sweet natured and loves everyone including kids. Hates riding in the car, noise phobic, and nothing seems to help with that. Now 4 and doing great. Love her to bits.

Hmm, looking for another Yorkie/poo soon! Love the breed! Loyal, sweet tempered, smart, not barkers, easy to house train, easy to train, easy and small to take places, no problems finding people to doggy sit when we go away.

Last edited by gouligann; 09-18-2016 at 08:38 AM..

Old 09-19-2016, 12:35 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,959 times
first dog: Border Collie / Aussie Mix. Great dog! He was super smart, and so sweet. He was a little mischievous and sneaky, but just a great all around dog. My parents bought him from some friends when he was a pup. He lived to be about 15 years old. Would I want to own another? Yep!!

Husky/Malamute mix: Cute personality, fun dog! But once he turned about 3 he got dog aggressive and we were afraid he would hurt someone. He became a guard dog. Would I want to own another? Probably not.

Keeshond mix: He found us - and what a sweetheart he was. Very people focused. Not sure smart, but very good with everyone. He was accidentally let out by the gardener, and we never found him Would I want to own another? Yep!!

Cocker Spaniel / lab mix next. Dumb dog but so adorable and so sweet. He was a lover! Very hard to train. Just didn't care if you got mad at him. He would turn around and do the very same thing again. Shed a lot and his fur got really tangly quick. He was very healthy until the end. He lived to be about 13. Would I want to own another? Maybe

Lab / Hound mix. Best dog ever! She was so easy to train. She was very friendly and loveable. She was a great all-around dog. She was maternal towards our boxer puppy and trained him well. She did shed a lot! She lived to be about 14. She did have some health issues, but overall lived a long happy life. If I could clone her, I would. She was pretty darn close to perfect. Would I want to own another? In a heartbeat!

Boxer: first full-bred dog we have owned. I loved him to pieces. Sweet, fun, cuddly, goofy and just adorable. He had a wildman attitude, but I just loved him. Healthy and strong as an ox until, he got a pretty aggressive brain tumor at 5 yrs old. Poor guy, we lost him right before his 6th bday. Would I want to own another? Yes! (but maybe not a full-bred)

Newest pup - 5 month old English lab. Also full-bred. Hope she doesn't have health issues. Anyway, super sweet, adorable, mellow puppy. She is smart, very friendly & fun. She gets along with everyone, even cats. NO negatives yet. Would I want to own another? Yes! (she has a facebook page - friend elsiesweetpea - or find her on instagram - elsiesweetpea

Old 09-19-2016, 12:43 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
All our dogs over the years have been rescues so most are brand X mutts, but we did adopt two purebred German Shepherds at 8 1/2 years old and 12+ years old, a Golden Retriever, a Royal Standard Poodle, and a Shetland Sheepdog.

Their personalities were all different than the standards for the breed! I loved them all, but my favorite was a black mutt with long legs, a short body, a lab head and Irish Setter type hair. She was funny looking but my heart dog. I miss her still... 20 years after she left this earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs