Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:18 PM

6 posts, read 7,465 times

Advertisements

Since childhood I have owned (in order) a Cocker Spaniel, a spaniel/mutt, and 4 wire fox terriers. ved The Cocker Spaniel was given to a family whose Cocker had recently died and we kept one of the Cocker's mutt pups who lived to 18 yrs old. The Wires: Ginger (from a PA breeder) lived to 16; Foxy only lived to 9yrs; Sandy, a 10 yr old rescue dying of kidney failure whose prognosis was 6-8 months but comfortably lived for 2.5 yrs; and our current Asta a 2 yr old rescue now 6.5 yrs old. As I wrote (in detail) about 6 mos ago in one of these threads, wires are really smart (strong willed), long lived, rather healthy, energetic, loving (esp children but typically not other household pets), and respond well to VERY consistent, firm direction (preferably from the get go-- they are quick to figure out how to manipulate people). All of my wires have been extremely willing to play and not be mouthy with toys. A wire is a hunter whose breeding has made them quick to be on the scent, ready to go to ground to dig out vermin, and completely focused on chasing potential prey. Foxy actually could climb trees after squirrels. Two (Ginger & Foxy) were diggers (see UTube videos of wires digging to see how determined they can be) but two only 'dug'/dig when we'd hide toys under blankets, etc. If you want a truly funny dog whose disposition is happy to play longer than you can and then cuddle for a good belly and body rub, a wire MIGHT be for you. If you are looking for a dog that you can let off the leash to run free and come back to you, a wire isn't likely a good choice. In my opinion and thaat other long time owners of wires, a wire fox terrier should not be left off leash; once s/he identifies potential prey, obdience is forgotten and s/he is off!!! Fenced yards are good but wired can dig under and sometimes climb over fences when motivated. Lastly, a wire fox terrrier needs to be brushed about weekly as wires do not shed when the diet is good; to remove hair that could irritate the skin, good brushings are a must.... and the wires seem to LOVE it. The coat MUST be clipped (or stripped -- look this up online) at least ever 6-7 weeks. I STRONGLY recommend buying clippers (with at least 2 heads 10 and 7) and teach yourself how to groom your wire using pictures to guide you. Will you make mistakes? YUP ... but it grows in!!! There are good videos on UTube to show clipping techniques. Yes, you can go to a groomer but do find one that has a clue how to do a wire so it doesn't look like some other more commonly done breed..... many groomers today seem utterly confused about a proper wire cut. All of my wires started out confused about the grooming process but all settled in quickly. I did it in stages to give us all a break but it only takes about an hour after a bit of practice. Just know that if a wire's coat is not stripped (I do not do full body stripping -- too much time), your wire's could will not be wiry but soft and curly (long) or wavy (short). A wiry texture is only possible when the dog is stripped once a year. I use a stripping knife periodically but not for texture, just for overall removal of old hair. These dogs are as hypoallergetic as a dog gets. I have no hair to mop up, no hair balls, no handfulls of fur ..... to me it has always been worth the time to brush (a great watching TV activity) to have a dog that doesn't shed. I do love the breed.............. hours of fun and really low maintenance when one considers the house work that I don't have to do to control dog hair!!!!! OK sorry for such a long answer.... pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 12:16 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I have two pit mixes now-anything but aggressive to people, and not to dogs either although they have some leash reactivity we've had to work on. I am not sure why the blanket comment about aggression has gone unchallenged.
When it comes to breed traits it isn't considered a "blanket statement" to mention the trait of the breed. It goes without saying there are exceptions and more varied breeding, higher popularity or byb in a breed you will find a higher variance of traits. Mixes are even less likely to exhibit breeds traits, it's possible for them to have some traits of a parent breed but you are not getting the whole package, it will be at a lower frequency or less intense depending on the type of trait. Since not all pure breds represent their breed, mixes even less so.

I am not going to challenge a known breed trait, that's accurate IME, that's mentioned and accepted in the breed standards (animal / dog aggression).
It is always what people think of as aggression? No. It isn't the snarling, mad dog at the end of the leash. Many reactive dogs are just bluffing at times anyway. It isn't merely "aggression" but they are a high drive, determined, tenacious breed, which means if they get in a fight or are attacked and fight back they might keep going and are also very much like a working terrier when they get in a fight-which is where the lock jaw myth comes from. When people are not aware of potential breed traits it can have a bad outcome. Especially in the powerful, drivey breeds (seen it time and time again). Really though there are a lot of dogs that people want to dump for exhibiting known breed traits that are problematic to the owner or those dogs cause problems to others by the owners irresponsibility.

It also depends on people's opinions. When I've said before a Pit may not be dog aggressive but keep going if they become involved in a fight, I was told that is that is "aggressive". I don't see a dog that doesn't display aggressive behaviors as aggressive but that persons opinion differed.

Human aggression is not acceptable within this breed and that's clearly stated in the breed standards too. Some people are producing human aggressive dogs, highly unstable dogs and you have others breeding Pit mixes from guardian breed crosses with territorial instincts and defense drive. Unfortunately, many of these irresponsible owners and breeders don't care about the dangerous temperament of their dogs. Thanks to them BSL.

There are different types of aggression in dogs controlled by different genes and environmental factors that will also effect behavior. As more genes for aggression are discovered people can make the choice to reduce it when testing is available, hopefully still considering the whole dog and the breed gene pool.

Quote:
But the skin and digestive issues are definitely well known, among the extensive number of pit owners I know, or have seen comments from on the web. Food sensitivities are very, very common among them.
Very, very common? No, they exist, but I wouldn't say that equals very, very common. My dogs don't suffer from them. I'd like to know what skin issues?
The only thing I can think of is mange being a skin issue and allergies causing red, itching, skin or hives and being deemed a skin issue. Both are immune issues that lead to the skin issue. They happen in Pit Bulls but I don't see it as a common problem. Like temperament traits, health is genetic with some environmental influences. I have seen Pits with severe demodex always in the line, my friend had rescued dog,s mother / kids, they having generalized demoded. The females had to be spayed ASAP as the flare up with terrible with heat cycle. From my observation, this is typically always the case. It isn't widespread, nor random.

"Food sensitivities"? My dogs and the extensive number of Pits I know, don't have a food sensitivity. That doesn't mean no Pit does, but it I wouldn't call it very, very common. I've different bloodlines too and others I know with various lines.

I have a close friend with Pits 25yrs or so, doesn't have these issues. They did, have a dog that was bit by a spider that developed patchy hair, had trouble keeping weight, I said the sore looked like brown recluse bite but they don't have that in their area. Vet did what they can do but it caused lifetime complications, interfering with the immune system. She was like a 5-6yr old dog when this started, it was an environmental cause.
I would never get a Pit Bull from someone producing skin and digestive issues and further accepting it as normal. This irresponsible line of thought, it is what causes these problems to become common in a breed. They can be nearly impossible to eradicate once it gets to that point. Due to these types of problems relating to immunological and endocrine problems beyond simple inheritance.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:28 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,584,330 times
Boston Terrier - Am getting another so kid can show it. Great dogs.

Boxer - Best dog I've ever owned. Had him his whole life, he died of old age in my back yard a couple years ago. Heartbreaking.

English Springer Spaniel - great dogs, very smart, tons of energy. I bought him to hunt but life has taken me out of the fields. He's not great with toddlers. Wouldn't get another. Not because of the breed but because they require more training and time in the field than I can dedicate.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:24 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,352,067 times
1. I have had 4 Doberman Pinschers: the rescue, without a paper to her name, lived to almost 15. The three expensive "Champion-Bred" from highly researched, private breeders have ALL have major genetic illnesses. One died of heart failure/ Cardio Myopathy at 5. One died of relapsing disc disease at 8 1/2 (had the surgery, therapy and 2 months of down time post surgery, done at age 7 at Penn). My current, Luna, also with disc disease/wobblers which is now rapidly progressing after 2 years of cold laser. electro-accupuncture, 7 different herbs and daily magnetic loop treatment. SHE IS MY LAST. It will kill me to lose her.But aside from the combined 50K I put out for the 3 of them, it's too tough on me emotionally. I ADORE the breed: the brains, the quirky humor, the nobility, the affection, even that first 6 months of utter stubborness. Were it not for the preconditions, I would have them the rest of my life!

2. Also currently have a rescued Pointer/hound/Pitt who knows? who is 13 with no illness other than current arthritis. Sweet as sugar and dumb as a stump.

3. Also currently have a rescued Rough Collie, rescued at 12 weeks and is now 5. Only dog in 30 years who actually got kicked out of puppy school!!!! Still swallows anything she finds interesting. On the up side: Incredibly loving and very motherly with the older dogs, and sticks to my ailing Dobie like glue. Pretty dang cool! I would actually venture toward a Smooth-Coat someday.

4. had a rescued English Pointer for two years who developed brain cancer. Also dumb as a stump with a lot of Issues (noise, car rides, strangers). Very sweet but sad little guy. If I ever met up with his original owner, I would cheerfully strangle him or her.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:59 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,383,296 times
In my childhood:

A beagle x ??? mix. Charlie. Absolutely terrific dog, highly intelligent (intelligence is not the most highly ranked trait of beagles, so I'd love to know what his father had been). Loved to play. He'd dive into the water at our cottage and submerge himself completely, trying to reach waterlogged sticks, sometimes for so long we feared he'd drown. But then he popped back up like a cork, every time with the stick he'd wanted. He roamed the city by himself, and regularly accompanied the milkman on his rounds. We later found out he was also doing the same thing with a bus driver; Charlie would head down to the bus station and wait for this one driver, who'd invite him aboard...then he'd travel over to Halifax and back, standing next to the driver and looking out the doors. (Back in 'those days' - the 60s - dogs regularly ran free in our area.)

A ??? x ??? mix. Rusty. Looked a bit like a cocker spaniel cross. Very loving, sweet, pretty dog. But, dumb as a stump. This guy once forgot to jump when he was chasing our other dog up over a stone wall...ran headfirst into it, almost knocking himself out...staggered out into the street and was almost hit by a car. The driver of the car thought she'd hit him because he was staggering, and she was absolutely mortified until she found out he was okay and his injury had been self-inflicted.

Another ??? x ??? mix. Champ. Definitely some sort of terrier/beagle. Another sweet dog, not quite as low IQ as Rusty, but not much higher. Again, very sweet, loving dog. Used to go to high school with me - I'd sneak him into class and he'd lie under my seat. However, that habit didn't last very long once I discovered that he had THE worst case of gas I'd ever witnessed in a canine.

In my adulthood:

Another beagle x ??? mix. Misty. She was one of the sweetest dogs I'd ever seen. Another 'dumb as a stump' dog, but I think that somehow the low IQ of some animals is compensated for with absolutely wonderful loving temperaments. Misty was the product of a puppy mill, and around her first birthday she developed stomach issues along with epilepsy. Fortunately her seizures didn't happen very often, not often enough to warrant meds.

An Australian cattle dog x ??? mix (I had been told that it was thought her ??? side was dingo, but that could never be confirmed, though she definitely looked like one in her younger years). Kaya. THE smartest dog I've ever known. Extremely intelligent. Extremely sneaky (she could steal food from anywhere and then pretend she'd never done a thing). Extremely stubborn. Did not tolerate other dogs, unless they were part of our family. And yet she was the most faithful, loving companion one would ever want. Awesome girl.

A Border collie. Izzy. Almost at the same intelligence level as Kaya. Very loving and loyal. Very active. Very nervous/shy. Extremely sensitive...and another dog who doesn't tolerate other dogs. Izzy is personality PLUS, and full of energy 24/7.

For all of these dogs, the answer to "would you own their breed(s) again?" is, a resounding YES. I've loved each and every one of them, and for all of the issues or quirks they've had - some obviously more than others - their personalities, and the love that came with them, made everything worth it.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:26 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,434,710 times
Because of rescue I've had hundreds of dogs, literally. My favorite? My long haired chihuahua and the boxer / aussie mix that was feral when I took her in. I wouldn't go get another of either though. Mostly because we're getting older and hubby's health is very bad. He has enough to deal with all day at home while I'm at work and doesn't need anything else to take care of, but also because my dogs were who they were, not who their breed is. I pulled a long haired chi just like my girl from a shelter a couple years ago. Sweet, sweet dog, loves me and follows me everywhere, and I've just not bonded with him. Honestly, when my girl was killed I think it killed something in my too, because I've not been the same since. Maybe that's also why I wouldn't get another though. *shrug*

Old 04-13-2016, 12:24 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Akita: Yes, maybe. I'd adopt an older one who just wanted to be a couch potato.

Pug: No. We took care of my in laws' pug for several months and she was so dumb and not properly house trained. Never again!

Malinois mix: that is what we have now. He's a handful, but he's also only 19 months old and he has a diagnosed anxiety disorder (which he's medicated for). I think we would never adopt a puppy again, only an older dog whose issues, if any, are already known.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:54 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
Weim: 100% yes. This is my breed. I don't think I will ever not own a weim. Very smart, easy to train, loyal to you and idk if this is breed specific but he always has got along great with my cats and other dogs. They are VERY attached to you though. Not a good breed for being left at home alone very long, causes them anxiety.
Bloodhound: Yes. BUT he is very very high energy, but that works well with having a weim. They both have that personality and love walks and playing. He's honestly just a floppy eared goofball! and very slobbery lol
Beagle: too cute, laid back, would own again.

My dad trained coonhounds for people when I was growing up. We had many different breeds of those as a child, but they weren't really "pets" even though I considered them pets. I loved them all.

I want to own a Great Dane someday. I really like bigger dogs.

Last edited by crd08; 04-13-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 01:11 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,745 times
Grew up with about 10-20 dogs (outside, yard dogs). They were either born and raised in the pack or adopted from the streets. All mutts except 2 Rottweilers and a schnauzer. Had one Jack Russell terrier but he was biting my sisters and I, so he was quickly rehomed. All medium to large sized mixed breeds, mostly lab, terrier or shepherd mixes.

After moving to the US, we found a Shih tzu and kept him for awhile but had to be rehomed as we didn't have any experience at the how to pottytrain a dog that lives indoors.

We also had 2 more Rottweilers, one adopted and another purchased from BYB (again, we knew ver little about the pet world). Just like the Rotties that we previously had, they were wonderful, loving family dogs. Unfortunately, both became ill with cancer before the age of 3 and had to be euthanized.

Now, I currently own a lab/pit mix and an American bulldog/lab/beagle (?) Mix. I plan to always keep one or two big dogs in my life as they come and go from my life.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:12 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,885 times
As a child we have a German Shepard and a Poodle. I have to say I believe it is different when you have them as babies and get to train them the way you would "prefer" them. My Dad taught our dogs to warn us when someone was at the door, as if having them for protection. Both dogs were aggressive toward people coming to the house, and would never stop barking! So, I didn't have the best experience with those breeds.

As an adult, I have a Toy Fox Terrier and a Chihuahua. Both are so much more quiet and less aggressive. Of course they are no angels. My terrier likes to wander and is too social; whereas the chihuahua is afraid of most people and too shy. The terrier is a leash puller, and the other is a leash dragger, so its fun to walk them both at the same time! Overall though, I believe they are well behaved and lovable, and do get them to walk tandem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs