Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:07 AM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times

Advertisements

My family has had:

1) Maltese - Would NEVER get again. She was very aggressive towards everyone except for my mother. Maybe we just had a bad experience, but it is enough to deter me from ever getting that breed again for myself.

2) Poodle mutt mix - Super sweet and loving dog. VERY smart and eager to please. He could do lots of tricks! He was a shelter dog and we could never truly break him of his marking tendencies unfortunately.

3) Shih Tzu - Parents' current dog. Best dog we've ever had! She loves everyone in the world! Great, funny personality, and just wants to be wherever you are. Perfect velcro dog.

I would easily get a Shih Tzu again! In fact, I don't think my parents will ever get any other breed after their wonderful experience with her. Also my sister got a dog from the same Shih Tzu breeder and she's the same super sweet, funny girl! They're great dogs if you get them from a reputable breeder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 12:43 PM

474 posts, read 318,052 times
Basset Hound-Nice dog...a little dopey though.
Golden Retriever-Lived to almost 15. Great dog. The breed seems to have changed over the years, don't think I'd get another.
Siberian Husky-Challenging. Talked a lot. Wouldn't own another unless I moved to Alaska and wanted to do the Iditirod.
White Shepherds-I've owned 4, presently have 3. Best dogs ever. Stable, easy to train, great watch dogs and companions. They do shed year round. sigh

Old 02-07-2016, 12:51 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,083 times
21 over my lifetime. Toy terriers - never again. Shelties - maybe. A cocker mix - nice dog, but no more. Walking her was aggravating, as she always had her nose to the ground. Lastly there were 7 Belgian Shepherds. After that I would never have anything else.

Oh Sibay, I do admire the white German shepherds. I did think about getting one, but then decided to stick with what I was familiar with.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:26 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Grew up with beagles, and while there are certain strains that can be very shy, a friendly and well-socialized beagle is a joy. They are not a dog that does well without supervision though. They wander where their nose takes them, and they are VERY food-driven (it's always a battle between stomach and nose). This CAN be overcome somewhat when they are young with consistent training. When I am old, I may own one again.

Border collies are another breed I've had a lot of exposure to. My current one is 16 years old and one of the sweetest and most responsive dogs I have ever known. They're not all like that, but I love their intelligence and intensity. Yes, I would have one again - in a heartbeat.

I also have a Catahoula mix - he is the dog I have been waiting for all of my life. I have worked with dogs since I could walk, and this dog and I just "get" each other. When we work together, I think I am at my maximum happiness level. He is bold, friendly, smart as a whip, high-energy and very interactive - as in he tells me when he's had enough but gives me his best effort right up until that threshold. I would certainly have a Catahoula again, but I would have to make sure it has the same strengths as my current one. They can be very destructive and stubborn.

My kelpie mix is a total love. He is incredibly affectionate, very eager to please, and just very joyful - seriously, it's infectious. People just look at him and smile. He's a blast in classes too - picks things up right away and has tons of "play" drive that keeps him interested. The main problem is that he sometimes falls off of stuff because his tail is wagging so hard. Yep, I'd have one again.

I've had a lot of interaction with other breeds, but those are mostly the ones I've owned personally.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:36 PM

112 posts, read 224,721 times
I've enjoyed reading these posts.

I had various dogs growing up. We lived in the country; had a lot of property. We had a ton of strays dropped off in our area. My dad was a retired disabled combat veteran he would do his best to patch them up (cats, dogs, whatever) and either they stayed with us or he would find a good home for them. Some of the greatest dogs we had were strays - especially a wire haired terrier mix named Lady, my doberman/rottweiler mix we found as a puppy, and a fox terrier.

We also had chihuahuas (no thanks) and a toy poodle who was a little high strung.

My dogs as an adult:

Pugs x2 - Both died at over 10 years old. I loved them but the heartbreak of their health problems and the shedding are a no.

Rat Terrier - I got lucky because mine wasn't super high energy, but overall, I wouldn't do it again unless I had a huge property for them to run. High energy!

Maltese/Poodle mix - Absolutely would have more. Oh, our maltipoos....currently 3 years old. 2 males from separate litters/parents born a month apart. My mom has a really good little girl maltese we fell in love with when we were visiting. The low/no shed really appealed to us. I was hesitant of poodle anything though, but these boys have been some of the best dogs I've ever had. Easy to train, crazy smart, not yappy at all, and have great personalities. They are velcro dogs though. Have to be where you are all the time, preferably touching you. Super easy to train. Poodles recognize patterns quickly and easily so sometimes it's a bit disconcerting when it seems they know what you're going to do before you do it.

Shih Tzu/Poodle mix - Would absolutely have another. In the last year we added this tiny 5lb girl to our pack. She was rescued from the streets and turned over to us. Horrible shape - nails so long she was walking on them. Got her cleaned up, dental, and all medical taken care of and she has been a wonderful little girl. Another velcro dog. Funny and sweet. Smart too. Very independent when it comes to things like being carried or helped onto couch. She is both a princess and a tomboy.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:44 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
I've had 6

1. Ginger - mutt. My parents rescued her before I was born, and she died when I was in 5th grade. She was a mix. I think she had German Shepherd in her, and we had no idea of what else. She was the best dog in the world. We used to say she was a human trapped in a dog's body. She never misbehaved, never barked or licked. Never left the property. You could take her for walks with no leash and she would never leave your side. Never went through any training, either. I wish I knew all of her breeds, because I would love to have another (although our recent rescue reminds me of her a lot...I'll get to her soon).

2. Beagle - another family pet who passed when I was in college. I would not get a beagle again. She ran away a lot, and would come back with animal parts. She ate everything. From my sister's retainer to my small braces rubber bands. She even ate a hole through the bottom of my brother's Xmas stocking to get to the candy. No garbage can or hiding place could keep us from coming home to garbage all over the kitchen. Never. Again.

3. Lasso Apso - my mother's dog, we had her from the middle of the beagle's life and just passed away a year and a half ago. She was stubborn and not the friendliest. I would not get one for myself.

4. Sam - my baby. He was a border collie sheltie mix, and my husband and I got him when we moved in together. I loved the heck out of him, he was my child. He died almost 2 years ago at 6 yrs due to nasal cancer, it was a shock and I miss him very much. Would I get another one? I'm not sure. While he was my baby, he could be difficult. He was very energetic and I felt that we could not give him enough exercise (running for miles? doesn't matter - a BC needs lots of fields and sheep). He was well-behaved and smart though, we had him house trained in a day. Eventually he was bit by another dog and then he became a bit vicious himself, which made exercising him even more difficult as I couldn't walk him without fear of him attacking another person or dog.

5. Nellie - our yorkie - We took Nellie in about 6 months after we got Sam. She's a 'tough guy' as I like to call her, although she lost a lot of her courage when Sam died. She has gained most of it back now though. I would not get another Yorkie again. She's very stubborn and while 90% of the time she goes potty outside, we still find spots here & there in the house. I cannot find a reason, a pattern, or anything. While cute and pretty, she does not listen to us unless there is food in our hands. Luckily she's small so it's a bit easier to deal with.

6. Sabrina - our white Australian Shepherd. We adopted Sabrina in August. She is an amazing dog and she seems to have been able to fill most of the hole Sam left in my heart. She has a bit of a sight/hearing problem but not enough to affect her daily living. She's incredibly shy and quiet. She literally tip toes around the house. She just barked for the first time in December, and we've heard it one more time a couple of weeks ago. She and the yorkie get along well which is important. I don't know if I could say I would get another Aussie again because I know she's nothing like other Aussies...for one thing she is a huge couch potato. I can't even get her out of bed in the morning until my husband gets up.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:05 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
hmm lets see.

2 GSD's: not my breed of choice but this is my dads FAVE breed, im currently renting space from them and share the property with their 2 yr old long coated GSD girl...
English Cocker spaniels: a breed id suggest for any family, not my fave breed but one I don't hink you can go wrong with...
Boxer: my dads 2nd fave breed, too wired for me, he was a foster.
Great Dane: fosters: a heart breed of mine but also a heart break breed, they just don't live long enough.
Chinese crested, don't think ill ever be without a nekkid dog or 2, I currently have 2
Chihuauha (long haired): mums fave breed, I cant see her ever being wihout at least one..., she currently has 2.
Great Pyr x Anatolian: these were my working dogs on my property in TN, but I had to let them go when I moved, ill own either rbreed of mix again as WORKIGN DOGS only when we have a large rproperty again.
Banndogge (am bulldog x corso): a rescue baby who had to be PTS after aggression issues linked to an inoperable brain tumor....I loved him like crazy, he was big and doofy and super sweet to people, but I don't think I could ever trust another of that mix or those predominant breeds...he whent fomr being super sweet to highly dog aggressive in 3 seconds flat.
pittbulls: fosters, I love them, but I wouldn't own them, just not my breed.
Dachsunds: we have 2 that are currently in training as ratters for barn hunt and earth dog. love them, but not a breed I could see myself owning outside of a working environment, they are spazzy if not worked lol.
Doberman: MY HEART MY SOUL MY LOVE.
I don't think ill ever be witout a Doberman in my life ever again.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:56 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
As an adult I have had 4 border collies and three shelties. I will likely only own shelties as I am getting to the age where I need to down size.

As a kid too many to count, mostly border collies but also two weimaraners and a GSD. No to the weimaraners, they are legitimately stupid. The GSD was smartish but too protective.

OP you have rehomed 1/3 of your dogs. That seems like a lot to me but I have never rehomed any pet I have had for any reason. Maybe pick more carefully.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:01 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Husky/Border Collie Mix - Wonderful dog but he was an escape artist. We found him and he lived with us for many years until he had to be PTS due to old age. If I had a house again I would consider another larger dog. I love mixed breeds.

Bullmastiff - my husband had two when I met him. They were great dogs but I wouldn't have another as I'm now a widow and live in a condo. They are on the "not allowed" list in most condos.

Chinese Shar Pei - we had one of the first ones to come into the USA in the early 80's. He was one of the best dogs we ever had. Even after going blind from Sudden Retinal Deterioration he was always great with the kids and other animals. He died of cancer in 1991 and I still tear up talking about him. The second Shar Pei we owned was a psycho. He died early in a freak accident and I barely shed a tear. Due to overbreeding I would not have another one. They have a lot of skin and ear problems also.

Poodle - found as stray, once she finally understood she was supposed to go potty outside she was another great dog. Would consider another one except I don't want the grooming expense.

Chihuahuas - Look at my screen name and you will know I love Chihuahuas. I have had seven, six have been rescues. Out of the seven the one we got as a puppy was very good with everybody although she barked more than I would have liked. I have two now, one a former puppy mill breeder who has never barked in the nine years I have had her but she is very skittish and one I adopted from our local shelter three years ago has been the most perfect Chihuahua. Everyone that meets her is shocked at how friendly she is with complete strangers and even little kids. She rarely barks and has been the most perfect dog. Unfortunately she is now around 11 and is having heart problems. The new medication is helping but I dread the day when I have to euthanize her or she dies. My granddaughter is very attached to her and will be devastated. Would I have another Chihuahua? Don't know - not sure I will get another dog at all when these two cross the Rainbow Bridge.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:57 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Pomeranians - my wife and I have one now, I named him Cotey because he looked like a young coyote when we bought him. He's now 12 and full of life. He would eat until he fell over and passed out, if you continued to keep feeding him. He's one of the "big" Poms, he's about 16 pounds and he'll be 12 years old in April. He loves us dearly, he will bite a stranger and he barks a lot. He loves to eat the cats wet food when they're done licking their plate. I would definitely buy another one of these Pomeranians.

Akita Chow - this girl, who turns 8 in May this year, loves me (Daddy) with all of her heart. Even though she's a Chow, she won't bite anybody. She will bark at anyone and everybody if they're not my wife and I. She has a big appetite, she's absolutely beautiful, and yes, I'd buy another Chow. They're beautiful, loyal dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs