Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:40 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times

Advertisements

I got my first dogs a few years ago in my 40s, They are Chihuahua and I love the breed and will always get the same breed. They are smart, loving, friendly and wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 09:59 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,999 times
A long time ago, we were given an adult Rottweiler; loved that dog! Aside from shedding, I'd absolutely get another one. He was the most gentle creature with a new kitten, yet could easily scare away a midnight visitor banging away at the back door, which he did. Loved having him around.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:24 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
A long time ago, we were given an adult Rottweiler; loved that dog! Aside from shedding, I'd absolutely get another one. He was the most gentle creature with a new kitten, yet could easily scare away a midnight visitor banging away at the back door, which he did. Loved having him around.
A friend of mine had a Rottie too, he was the sweetest dog, so friendly and he never barked at people or other animals, but he would bark at funny cartoon voices on TV or when and action scene was on. When he got a little small breed sister he was so good with her, he would let her walk all over him, literally on his face. I named my dog after that Rottie who passed away too young, sadly

Old 10-09-2016, 11:35 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
Friends of ours in Alamogordo, NM, owned a Yorkie and if that wasn't a doll. Might consider one of those one day.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:16 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
Since childhood, I've owned 6 dogs.

I fish setter. Was beautiful but wouldn't own ankther. She needed to run and was scared of things. Had to give her away to a farmer with land she could run.

Two bichon frieses . Both were great dogs, loving smart and loved until 15 plus years. Close to 15 pounds size.

Wife has arthritis so we got smaller dogs. Again three bichon rather rare ones. Got them now at ages 6 to 7.one is a bichon bolognese, 10 smart a nd loving and full of fun and love. Slightly a guard dog so banks when some new sound or person is near. But never aggressive just loves people.so we got is a hybrid the of the bolognese and a bolonka, a Russian bichon. The hybrid is 10 pounds super quite and the alpha dog . Love her to death.

Last dog se have now is a Russian bichon called a bolonka. She is 5 pounds and pure black.the bolognese is white and the hybrid is black and white. The bolonka is named shasha and an incredible dog. All three are loving smart as he'll and obedient. Would be Glad to have any of these again.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:59 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,150,276 times
Siberian Husky - No. My first dog as an adult. Made every classic mistake. I went by looks and knew zero about the breed or how to train a dog. It was a disaster. She was aggressive and stubborn. She then killed a cat and her kittens that wandered under the fence. After that she wanted to kill anything small and would leap over the fence to get a squirrels. She attacked a neighbors dog and almost killed it. We were able to re-home her to a guy that had huskies and loved them.

Dalmatian - No. We had two. High strung and both dogs tried to bite kids and an adult. We had to re-home them after our son was born. The Dalmatian rescue was wonderful and found them homes with zero kids and one owner.

Beagle - No. Nope. Never again. I tried to keep a rescue and it didn't work out. The dog had been abused by the previous owner. The dog was absolutely terrified of men. I just wish the humane society would have told us as our household consisted of two males. We only had him a few days. Years later, I took in a beagle puppy from a family friend that couldn't keep the dog. I had reservations but thought a puppy would be different. Nope. This beagle was also extremely neurotic. I did everything I could to house train her but she was so stubborn. She passed a few years back and I hate to say it but it was somewhat of a relief. She was the only dog I had a zero bond with.

Smooth coat collie - Yes. He is the dog that made me feel like I could be a dog owner again. We simply didn't have good experiences and I felt like a failure in the dog owner dept. My grandparents always had collies when I was a kid. Why I didn't think of a collie right off I have no idea. It did take some work to find one as they are not as popular as they used to be, or at least where I live. We go to a large Vet practice with several doctors. Every time he comes in, several stop what they are doing to come in the room to see him. He is the only collie at their practice. They also think it is super cool he is a smooth coat as well. I had him house trained in a week. He is incredibly smart and the most confident dog I have ever had. He is extremely tolerant of other dogs including our min pin/chi mix who thinks she is the boss. The biggest drawback is that the dog hair can be incredible. I find wads of it everywhere even though I brush him faithfully. Second would be the barking. I always suggest a collie for anyone that isn't that experienced with dog training because Collie's are easy.

Min Pin/Chi mix - Yes. This dog has stolen our hearts. She is our first small dog. She was not in the plans. A family member asked me if I would take the dog. She took her from a backyard breeder that she met on her job. I wasn't so sure as to what type of temperament she would have and I had heard bad things about Chihuahuas. Growing up, our neighbors had Min Pin's and I thought they were annoying and unattractive dogs. I wasn't sure if the combo would be a good one. Well...She is our baby. She is feisty but incredibly loving too. She seems to have the min pin spirit but the cuddle bug gene of a Chihuahua. Her face looks more like a Min Pin but has the coloring of a chihuahua. She has the floppy ears and I realized that most that have Mini Pin's crop the ears and tail. I find Min Pin's much cuter in their natural state. She is suspicious of strangers and will bark. She thinks she is a big dog and bosses our collie around but then insists that he cuddle with her. I would consider a Min Pin now if their temperament would be like hers but so far I feel she is one in a million.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:54 PM

7,141 posts, read 12,675,471 times
I love most all dogs..favorites who lived with me were: a little mixed spitz/sheltie--kind. loving, smart, learned lots of trick, lived to be 18.

A Norwegian Elkhound who was great with kids and adults but not so much with other dogs. Great guard dog, but oh! the shedding..for that reason alone wouldn't have another.

A Whippet mixed with maybe rat terrier, with the gentle, sweet Whippet personality. Very sensitive and attuned to moods.Quiet and tidy in his habits. Hated to get dirty and would tip-toe around puddles--no kidding. Had zero prey drive which was odd. Great dog, maybe my heart dog. Left us two years ago at 14.

Now I pet sit and find each dog has a distinct personality and it's great fun to uncover their habits and traits. Favorites are a Carolina Dog with the sweetest disposition and a wild kind of beauty and a little Feist squirrel dog who is smart as a whip and very, very athletic, plays soccer.

Right now I'm caring for a Beagle, my first, and he is interesting..a bit depressed since his sister died. Trying to cheer him up...he's great to walk on trails. The silkiest ears ever.

Poodles crack me up--I could go on about them..super smart and devious at times..they train me instead of the other way around.

All dogs are cool.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:32 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
My dad used to be a dog breeder so we have had many different breeds.

German Shepherd - Absolutely. I grew up with one as my sidekick. No one could come near me unless I let them and he followed me all over the woods, fields, and anywhere else I roamed. He even slept by my bed at night and would whine the second I left his sight. Dad has gone back to them and now has three.

Australian Shepherd- Without a doubt some of the smartest and kindest dogs out there. At one point we had 15-20 of them and they were intelligent enough that we talked to them like humans.

Blue Heeler- Yes, but they are noisy. We also raised BH when we raised the AS, but BH tend to bark a LOT. Aside from that we liked them.

Rottweiler - Yes. My uncle raised them and I used to enjoy playing with them. Aside from heavy drooling they were very even tempered and sociable.

Doberman Pinscher - Not sure. I had two white Dobermans as a teen. They were generally good dogs, but were difficult to manage if they caught wind of something they wanted. I recall being dragged across the yard by the pair of them that got after a raccoon. Almost pulled my arms out of socket.

Daschund - No. We have one now, and had two previously before kids. They become ornery as they get older and the one we have now (had him for 7 years) is becoming difficult to control. He tends to just lay down in the floor when he doesn't want to do something. They're great lap dogs if you don't have kids but that is about it. He has already snapped at our 5 year old twice. Once more and we may have to get rid of him.

Boxer - Absolutely, unequivocally YES. Our 4 year old boxer is one of the BEST dogs we have ever owned. She is hilarious to watch bounce around like a kangaroo and loves our kids. She is gentle, loving, and playful. She is also extremely protective of our kids. You won't come near them if she doesn't want you to.

PitBull - Yes we will. Our pit is an amazingly affectionate and loving dog. The only time he ever shows teeth is if a stranger approaches our kids. Aside from that he gets along well with all dogs, likes for visitors to rub his belly, and is just a beautiful dog.

Cocker Spaniel - Eh... probably not. Was a good dog, but very difficult to keep groomed and got ornery a time or two when being given a command.

Boston Terrier - Great dogs. I've had two. Aside from some allergy issues, they were very loyal pets and are great with kids.

Schnauzer - No. Difficult to groom and hard headed. The one we had didn't like to take commands and often chose to chew furniture instead of his chew toys.

Labrador Retriever - No.... loved the dog, but no matter what we tried he would never stop chewing. We vowed never to have another as he even chewed the wood out of the porch column on our back porch, prompting a replacement.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:14 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
German Shepherd: absolutely yes; very intelligent. Need plenty of grooming.

Boxer: absolutely yes; very loving, but clowns. Wouldn't get ears done next time though.

Beagle: No; Dumb as a post. Cute as a button, but she would pee in her own bed.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:16 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
2 middle sized shelter mixes (sort of wanna be Shepherd). See pics in profile.

Rescue dogs rock, but: Never again a breed or mixed breed that sheds. I need my life back I am over the damn cleaning!!

I love 'em though ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs