Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 02:49 PM

7,781 posts, read 6,394,423 times

Advertisements

For 13 years we had a chihuahua that weighed a whopping 4 pounds. We still fondly remember him.

Getting another dog now would mean dog walking etc into our 90s, which just won't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 06:02 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
I grew up with Scotties. Fun dogs, but they are digging terriers and come with all that implies.

My personal 4 dogs have been Australian cattledogs.

I love their "velcro" and uber-attentive traits (so they tend to stick around home where the boss is, not wander off if there's no fence).
I love that they tend to be quiet and serious. They were supposed to work livestock calmly so they didn't spook.
I love their smarts...they figure out very quickly if that long-legged, 1000 lb, big nosed beast, or the fat, waddling, spikey-looking critter in the trail doesn't run away from them there's a good reason. They decide they should probably leave whatever it is alone.
I love their wash-and-wear coat that doesn't need clipping, doesn't mat or snag debris if they so much as glance at the bushes they walk past. It looks good just about all the time.
I love their lack of dog stink even when wet. Hardly ever need bathing. My last one hadn't had a bath in 8 years. Others not so much...they tended to love horse pucky and moose gut piles.
I love their upright ears that don't tend to breed infections.
And, I love their convenient packaging. Easy to pick up when necessary. Just the right size to fit on car or aircraft seats. Not so big they hog the couch or the bed. Not so small they get lost in snow or break legs jumping off an ottoman.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-28-2020 at 06:39 PM..

Old 09-28-2020, 07:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
As an adult, I've had five, but we always had them growing up. My mom used to get a Canadian breed called McKenzie River huskies. As an adult, I've had these dogs:

Golden retriever -- great dog who was a wonderful companion for my son when he was growing up. Wouldn't do it again because big dogs aren't in the cards for me anymore.

Border collie/sheltie mix: would not have another at this time, but when I had her, I was doing an incredible amount of hiking/biking so she was a great activity partner and got the exercise she needed.

Wolf hybrid: Wouldn't do it again. I loved him more than the others, maybe, but he always seemed to be lost between both worlds. I had him at the same time I had the border collie/sheltie, and they were great friends.

American Eskimo: (he was a mini-Eskie, maybe mixed with Pomeranian; he was a rescue and I didn't have a DNA done) absolutely.

American Eskimo: my current dog is a standard American Eskimo. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-28-2020 at 07:33 PM..

Old 09-28-2020, 07:55 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
Counting the two I have now 7 dogs,( Not counting dogs I grew up with)

Maddie -english cocker spaniel Wonderful sweet loyal dog but I probably would not own another one as she had a lot of skin issues that other cockers seem to have and ears got frequent infections and frequent blocked anal glands. She had the most health issues of any dog I have but I got her as a 4 yr old from a shelter

Jazz ( border collie X cattle dog) Very intelligent high energy dog loved her to pieces and if I was younger Yes but now in my 60s too much energy

Dash ( border collie X springer spaniel) great dog but same as above due to my age probably not

Phoenix ( deaf vision limited Border collie) another great dog and if it was like her very sweet and medium energy- maybe

Chaos ( one of the current dogs and a mix of 7+ breeds) sweet girl not a ton of energy but does love walks and playing ball. but also loves to bark.maybe

Dazzle and the current Zephyr Silken Windhounds yes I would own another one as I love the breed and while the puppies can be wild, adults tend to be a good energy match for where I am in life now. My two have not been barkers which is a huge plus too

Old 09-29-2020, 11:09 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,642,313 times
My dog is a shelter mutt, I think we would adopt from the shelter again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post

Dazzle and the current Zephyr Silken Windhounds yes I would own another one as I love the breed and while the puppies can be wild, adults tend to be a good energy match for where I am in life now. My two have not been barkers which is a huge plus too
I don't remember when you last posted some photos of Zephyr, would love to see him!

Old 09-29-2020, 11:36 AM

1,013 posts, read 726,161 times
10. 9:were Boxers, 1 was an English Bulldog. If I were younger I’d adopt another, but I can’t walk very far and Boxers love exercise. Obviously I love the breed. I love Bulldogs too but breeders have ruined the breed—they have so many health problems.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:13 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
Husky and growing up a cockapoo and poodle. The husky kept running away, landing at our house. They didn't have time for her and the patience for a younger dog. My husband asked for her, since she was always at our house anyways. They said fine, if anyone they would give it to it'd be us. He had his work cut out for him. she needed a lot of exercise and training to calm down, which she did.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:20 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
I've had two pit/lab mixes, a shepherd of unknown origin and a full bred blue nose pit, They've all been wonderful dogs.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:02 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,134,607 times
I have had a total of 10 dogs since I was young. They have all been either pure chihuahuas or chi mixes. I love the littles. They all had totally different personalities. My growing up dogs -
Roxie: Pure chi. My childhood best friend. Mom chose a chi since it was small and overall clean and easy to care for. I adored her.
Missie the first: A friend gave her to us. She was a hoot. Pure chi who did a toothy grin if she got scolded. You couldn't stay mad. Sadly she had a severe back injury and we had to send her to the bridge way too soon.
Missie the 2nd: pure chi. A little more clingy. Her health wasn't good overall. She made it to about 11
ChiChi: My hubs and I just got a house, so we now needed a dog. He said no little pipsqueeks for him. But we saw her in a petstore (before anyone knew about puppy mills). She was blond, long legged with huge brown eyes,pure chi. I made him hold her. She licked his neck. He asked for the check book. She was our princess, and she and our daughter (2 yrs later) grew up together
Lucky: My daughter was 5 and wanted her own we got Lucky from the local petstore. He'd been stolen once from the store by some brats. He was a chiweenie. Sweet little man. Sadly, he was only 3 when he died from a heart attack.
Gypsy: Pure chi. My daughter's next dog. Adorable said her prayers (paws together) whenever she wanted foold. Made it to 17 yrs.
Nugget: My heart dog. My sweet Nugget. She was a chi/minpin mix. She adored me. We got her from a family who didn't want her anymore, she was only a pup. Every morning she bit and held on to my slipper as I headed to the kitchen. My heart is still broken, she died too soon, age 5, very suddenly.
Jack: Our bad boy. Found on the street. He had been obviously dumped. He had been abused as well and had triggers that caused him to snap. Then he would wilt and cower. Poor guy. He adopted my husband as his person. We just lost our Jack a couple of months ago Wacky Jacky the Psycho dog is missed.
Bella: My love and heart mender. We got her after we lost Nugget. Bella is a mix of some kind, we think she is toy fox terrier and something. There is no chi in her that I can find even though the size is right. She is gentle sweet and precious.
GiGi: Probably our last to adopt. We got her from a rescue and she looked like a very, very small Italian Greyhound. She was all legs. And could she jump! They said she was between 1 and 2 yrs old. Hardly, she was a pup. Still has the long legs, but she's filled out a bit and lost the greyhound look.
We are getting up there now, and do not want to adopt a young dog that might get left due to old age health stuff. But, I can't bear a dogless house. So we might foster! Littles of course. Sorry so long winded. But you dog lovers understand. My babies, I had to share them all.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:05 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
My criteria: must have a LONG lifespan & be free of physical problems that reduce quality of life.

Collie - no, the arthritis was so bad the poor guy couldn't stand up easily at age 5.
Yorkie - yes, lived to age 14 (died of cancer).
Pomeranian - yes, lived to age 14 (died of Interstitial Lung Disease).
Brittany Spaniel - yes, going strong at age 9.
Papillion - yes, going strong at age 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs