Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 07:43 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times

Advertisements

We had several spaniels...Springers and a Brittany. They are great dogs and Id have them again under the same circumstances, which were land for them to roam, and a pond for them to swim in, as well as a children to run with.

Now, we’re on our second dachshund from foster, and they are more our speed. Any dog I get now has to fit in the kitchen sink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 08:16 AM

1,013 posts, read 726,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We had several spaniels...Springers and a Brittany. They are great dogs and Id have them again under the same circumstances, which were land for them to roam, and a pond for them to swim in, as well as a children to run with.

Now, we’re on our second dachshund from foster, and they are more our speed. Any dog I get now has to fit in the kitchen sink.
The Brittany Spaniels I’ve known were great but you can’t contain them! They must be bred to roam and run. Tough if you’re in an area with leash laws. It’s incredible how far they can run.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:28 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,178,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Your current dog sounds like she could have her own reality show! Full-time job getting that boundless energy or whatever it is down to a manageable level. My favor breed, Boxers, are high energy but they do mellow after a few years.
Dutchies are definitely not for the faint of heart. A lot of them end up in shelters because people significantly underestimate the amount of time required and the blood loss that will occur! They mellow out at about 12!

Because they are not a real popular dog (in the US) they tend to be genetically very healthy.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:12 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
The Brittany Spaniels I’ve known were great but you can’t contain them! They must be bred to roam and run. Tough if you’re in an area with leash laws. It’s incredible how far they can run.
So true. They are bird dogs, and love to run. Ours met her end, because of it. My husband and I had moved to a suburban yard and left her in the back yard while we went on a walk. She dug under the fence to follow us and got hit by a car.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:30 AM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times
Unlike some posters here, I'll include childhood dogs because I remember enough hoe they were to give my opinion now:

German Shepherd - Excellent dogs! I'd get this breed if I wanted a bigger-size dog, but I like more unique-looking dogs. My parents had him before I was even born because I remember already having him even when I was 2 or 3, but I still remember him.

Lhasa Apso (probably mix) - I may get this breed again. Don't know where my parents got him from. I was still a young child. He was a nice dog. I didn't have him for long it seems. He ran away.

Labrador Retriever - I wouldn't get this breed again...way too ordinary-looking...again, I like unique-looking dogs that you don't see everywhere. He was a Christmas present one year and we had this dog for quite a while. My parents kept him outside in the backyard, so he was a whining dog.

Doberman mix - Wouldn't get this dog again. This was a stray who came to us & we ended up keeping her.

Never had another dog again for 24 yrs. Had a couple of cats in there though.

Boston Terrier - Purebreed. Yes, I would get this breed again. He was a fabulous dog & my 1st one I got when I was an adult! I "spoiled" him. I did research on the breed, so I loved the look, disposition, etc.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:19 AM

1,013 posts, read 726,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So true. They are bird dogs, and love to run. Ours met her end, because of it. My husband and I had moved to a suburban yard and left her in the back yard while we went on a walk. She dug under the fence to follow us and got hit by a car.
Neighbor across the road had one that would get out and luckily didn’t get hit, but they got calls from 2 towns away to come get him. One of my dogs from childhood died that way, it was awful. Where we live now a Brittany has gotten out and run away many times.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:46 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
German Shepherd - Excellent dogs! I'd get this breed if I wanted a bigger-size dog, but I like more unique-looking dogs. My parents had him before I was even born because I remember already having him even when I was 2 or 3, but I still remember him.
I don't know if I would get one again. First my last dog died of hip dysplasia and everyone was terrified of him, leading to a lot of hassle for us by the dog lady always coming by for the slightest thing.

I would only get one again if I was living on a farm.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:16 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
The Brittany Spaniels I’ve known were great but you can’t contain them! They must be bred to roam and run............
Brittanies are not flushing spaniels. They are pointers and they behave like pointers. They are bred to get out and cover a lot of territory to find birds and then to hold the bird in place until the hunter gets there.

Flushing spaniels are bred to stay within shotgun range, which is quite close to the hunter. When they find a bird, they don't hold it, they put it right up into the air because the hunter is already in position to shoot.

The two behaviors are quite different.

It helps to know what a breed was bred to do. A Brittany can't be expected to act like a springer or a cocker ( or a Clumber, or a field spaniel). They haven't been bred for the same job.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:24 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
By the way. " spaniel" is not actually in the name of the breed.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:39 PM

903 posts, read 583,980 times
Lots of Dogs.

Princess - Rat Terrier Mix - She was my and my wife's first dog together (before we were married). About 7lbs maybe. Sweet dog. Joint problems. She bit and was aggressive towards our first child. We gave her to her parents. Probably wouldn't do again.

Gibson - Aussie Mix - Great dog. Loved to run. I would roller blade and he would run. But we lived on a small lot. Initially took him because shelter said he only had a day until he was to be euthanized. Ended up giving him to a friend that had property.

Ashley - Border Collie Mix - We had her and Gibson together. She came a couple of years later. She loved to get out and run. Which had become a problem. Our trick to get her back was she loved Gibson and would follow him anywhere. He would come when called. So if she got out we sent him after her and he came back with her in tow. She went with Gibson.

We would do either breed again if we had more property for them to roam.

Penny -Lhasa apso / chihuahua Mix - We knew both parents of these Franken pups. Funny thing, she grew to be bigger than both of them. Very sweet dog. Probably had her for 8-years. Passed away from Pancreatitis.

Precious - Papillon mix - Very sweet dog. Passed away too young. Some sort of Cancer. She was only 6.

Christie - Basset/Lab Mix - looked like a lab with very short legs. One our best dogs. She was chill. Loved everyone. I believe she was 12. Ended up getting cancer. They did a surgery to remove it and initially she did fine, but two days after we brought her home, she had a heart attack. Rushed her to the vet, but it was too late. She did seem to go a little nutty in old age. She scaled a 6' fence but anchoring her body in the corner.

Lady - Black Lab - our other greatest dog. She was my wife's running buddy and they were such a great team. Amazing bond. She died from Cancer when she was 10. Very difficult on my wife.

Riley - Basset - I would not do a Basset again. Not really a home life dog. They are hunters. We live in a suburb. She is now 11. She also has some quirks. Aggressive with food. Not good with other dogs.

Brooke - Kelpie mix- She is smart as a whip. She likes to herd our cats. Her and our black cat are buddies. She also loves our other Silver lab, Autumn.

Autumn - Silver Lab - Typical lab. Toys, food and loving. That is her focus. The Sliver Lab is a variant of the Chocolate. She has lots of skin issues which I read (later on) were basically bread out of the Chocolate Lab, but the "new" variants have brought some of it back, sadly. I got her for my wife since she missed Lady so much and didn't really bond with Brooke. I didn't want another Black Lab, but still wanted a lab. Found the breeder when I was searching and thought, Wow, that is really unique. Love her to death, but probably won't get a variant next time.

Someone else had noted they had a Bernese. We rescued one when I was about sixteen. His name was Jack. My favorite dog of all time. Hope to get one again some day. But, we have 3 now and don't need anymore.

cd :O)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs