Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 03:00 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times

Advertisements

2 Labradors: love the breed, great family dogs, they went everywhere with our sons-lived in the country. CONS: Didn't like the hair. Not the easiest to house train and chewed everything and anything they could sink their teeth into. Hip problems and incontinence when they got older.

Irish Setter (rescue): Sweet natured, but CONS: dumb as a stump, too high strung to want another. Must be brushed on a regular basis.

Toy Poodle: sweet natured, non-shedding, family oriented, loyal. CONS: VERY yappy/vocal. Barked at every visitor, even barked at us when we came home. Need to be groomed every 5 weeks.

On our third [U]Yorkie/poodle cross:[/u] I'd get 10 of these in a heartbeat, but we have a very active lifestyle and it's too hard to take that many along with us lol. We LOVE the breed!! Smart as a whip, non-shedding, easy to house train, easy to take with you anywhere, sweet natured-not a mean bone in their body. LOVE their owners. Not yappy/vocal at all. CONS: Need to be groomed every 5 weeks. No good for a home with small children because they are too small to defend themselves if the kids are rambunctious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 09:46 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
Friends of ours in Alamogordo, NM, owned a Yorkie and if that wasn't a doll. Might consider one of those one day.

Above is my comment from this thread about 12 days ago.

On our third [U]Yorkie/poodle cross:[/u] I'd get 10 of these in a heartbeat, but we have a very active lifestyle and it's too hard to take that many along with us lol. We LOVE the breed!! Smart as a whip, non-shedding, easy to house train, easy to take with you anywhere, sweet natured-not a mean bone in their body. LOVE their owners. Not yappy/vocal at all. CONS: Need to be groomed every 5 weeks. No good for a home with small children because they are too small to defend themselves if the kids are rambunctious.

And now I can consider your comment above and continue to learn about Yorkie's. Our friend's Yorkie from New Mexico was a little doll. It didn't bark at us that much, like your comment mentions. Nice.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:41 PM

483 posts, read 418,745 times
I was given my first 1/2 GSD, 1/2 Doberman puppy as a young teen from my best friend.
He became my family shop dog (was trained to guard) and was my ever gentle soul dog.
That even till now.. after 30 years, hard for me to get mine.

Roman is my son. But he is really hubbys dawggie.. but my kiddo thru n thru. He is a pure bred Great Pyrenees.
I refuse to see him as a dog.. sorry. He is too smart and know me too well to be one.

I can only say..
Best breed ever!!!

I wish Roman to outlive me as he will devastate me if anything happens to him.. so even if his breed is the best ever... (Smarter than my GSD, dobbie mix hands down.. because Roman has learnt control.. human like control..)...
I think he is my once in a lifetime love.

I will probably dedicate to save his breed...
But love like him...
Dunno.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:10 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
As a note to those whose dogs shed (and for those who don't want another breed because of it)..... have you looked into changing their diet?

Boxers are prone to shedding. My boxer was no different. I was feeding her ALPO and Pedigree from the local grocery store. I began researching and found that many showed improvements after switching them to a diet higher in fats and meat and lower in filler (corn, wheat, etc...). I switched her over to Diamond Naturals (but there are many other good quality foods) and within two weeks she had literally stopped shedding. Her coat is shiny and full and we no longer have to sweep up hair. Before, we could make a coat out of the hair we swept up every other day. I couldn't figure out how she still had hair on her body. Just a thought.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:58 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
As a note to those whose dogs shed (and for those who don't want another breed because of it)..... have you looked into changing their diet?

Boxers are prone to shedding. My boxer was no different. I was feeding her ALPO and Pedigree from the local grocery store. I began researching and found that many showed improvements after switching them to a diet higher in fats and meat and lower in filler (corn, wheat, etc...). I switched her over to Diamond Naturals (but there are many other good quality foods) and within two weeks she had literally stopped shedding. Her coat is shiny and full and we no longer have to sweep up hair. Before, we could make a coat out of the hair we swept up every other day. I couldn't figure out how she still had hair on her body. Just a thought.

We never had a problem with shedding our Boxer(s). Always fed the best dry food recommended by the breeder; and added some cottage cheese. Mixed in cooked fresh veggies, like carrots, green beans, a few times a week. ('no gas' veggies... lol!) Fresh cooked turkey and chicken when we had it. (NO skin) They had beautiful shiney coats, strong bones and teeth, clear eyes etc. Happy dogs.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:41 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
We never had a problem with shedding our Boxer(s). Always fed the best dry food recommended by the breeder; and added some cottage cheese. Mixed in cooked fresh veggies, like carrots, green beans, a few times a week. ('no gas' veggies... lol!) Fresh cooked turkey and chicken when we had it. (NO skin) They had beautiful shiney coats, strong bones and teeth, clear eyes etc. Happy dogs.

If you've always fed them a good diet (which it sounds like you have) then shedding is a non-issue. But some feed their dogs the cheapest food they can find at the grocery store and then say that as much as they love their dogs, they hate the shedding. I'm with you on the gas thing though.... Ours still gets a bad case of gas if the kids slip and feed her certain table foods. It can be rough.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:57 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
If you've always fed them a good diet (which it sounds like you have) then shedding is a non-issue. But some feed their dogs the cheapest food they can find at the grocery store and then say that as much as they love their dogs, they hate the shedding. I'm with you on the gas thing though.... Ours still gets a bad case of gas if the kids slip and feed her certain table foods. It can be rough.

When I'm in the checkout line at the grocery store and see someone checking out with a huge bag of crappy dog food, it bothers me. I am well aware of the expense of having pets, but many people are simply not educated (or care) about what they are feeding their animals ... they are slaves to advertising and it is unfortunate that so many buy their pet food at the 'grocery' store. I'd go without something else to give mine the best food I can afford from the pet stores, as well as homemade.

Even when I donate pet food to a shelter, I make sure it is good quality.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:43 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
I've only owned Cavalier King Charles spaniels. Best breed ever. Many out there in rescue agencies. My current Cavvie is a rescue out of Salt Lake City, he was in a puppy mill in Missouri. Got him at four months.

He won the doggie lotto, believe me!

Old 11-03-2016, 02:26 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,943 times
I've owned a Doberman, Lab, French Bulldog and Boston Terriers.

I'd definitely own Boston Terriers again. They're super smart, funny, minimal shedders and easy to transport. They're wonderful companions.

Labs...probably not. Despite an excellent diet, they still shed.

Dobermans...a great breed...smart dogs but their size would now be hard for me to handle.

Frenchies...be still my heart. These are the sweetest, smartest and engaging dogs I've ever met but deep pockets are required for their care and/or possibly other issues. My Frenchie is barely 8 years old and just this last year, we've spent over $10k on him. Being a dwarf breed has its own hazards. But wow, they're wonderful dogs.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:55 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,659,380 times
I've had dogs all my life from mutts to purebreds and I can't imagine life without them. Our last three have been Great Pyrenees. Great dogs but after our current one goes, he just turned three, we'll probably get a smaller breed. I'll be in my mid 60's by then and I'm not sure I'll be able to handle another 130 pound dog. Great dogs though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs