Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
A college application DOES NOT promise you anything, that is correct and I never argued against that point.

I repeat, IT IS ALL IN THE ADVERTISING. For most kids, they are hardly given the choice as a young adult. They are MADE to feel that if they don't go to college, they will be failures in life. That philosophy NEEDS to change. What also needs to change is the lack of personal financial education given prior to enrollment in college. I remember a friend telling me specifically, "Don't worry about taking out loans, it'll all pay off eventually". What terrible advice to give, and I can say that now because I have gained a clearer understanding of the bigger picture (as do 99.99% of people throughout the course of their life).

So you're not 50+, but you're much older than most kids attending college for the first time. Thus, you have had more time to figure out the mysterious puzzle that is life. Heck, I am only three years out of college and I have figured out a great amount in that time. One is that in most cases, the significant costs of college these days IS NOT worth it if it entails going into significant amounts of debt.

At one time, I had a not-so-good job (in terms of growth potential) with a company that didn't care about me or my success. How that is a reflection on my success as a person is beyond me. I left that company and haven't looked back and now I work for a great company that offers a lot of potential advancement. Even though I have that now, I won't forget where I came from. Just because I'm making decent money now, I won't forget the struggles of coming up from nothing. I won't forget the BS that was told to me as a young man during my last years in high school. I won't forget the lack of education provided to me prior to enrolling in college.

Yeah, I attack your posts, because you continuously post the same uncompassionate rubbish on this forum. At least before, I didn't know whether to take you serious because all of your responses were a feign attempt at humor. You think that because I AM, that everybody else SHOULD BE, too. Like a kiddie pool, there's not a lot of depth in that perspective.

Thanks for the kind DM, by the way.

You learn to place some posters on "ignore," their posts are not in the least informed, just usually spouting their arrogance from their insulated positions and as if that isn't bad enough, they choose to be personal attackers.

You are young and I commend you for having gone through the promised land and gotten yourself into any job at all, and then getting a better position. You're a great example of making good despite the oppressing odds today. Congratulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

And as to where your math is wrong... your original premise that you MUST pay $30K per year. I'm not.
Let me begin by saying that I admire your service to our country. I appreciate your contribution as a serviceman.

Now, you're right. You don't need to pay a lot of money for tuition. There are frugal options out there. But I chose to go to a very good school in the Midwest and that came with a higher price tag than, let's say, any school in the South US. Fact is, the COL is much lower in that region as you pointed out. Also, my overall figures included living expenses & college tuition on a young college student's salary. You did not mention what your living expenses were.

Here's the simple math again:

Student's est. net income: $10,000/yr
In-state Tuition and fees at a tier 1: $20,000/yr. (still a bargain these days, I guess)
Living expenses (housing/food): $10,000/yr.

$12,000 - $20,000 - $10,000 = -$18,000

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 09-25-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 08:55 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Look, I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way that academic achievement doesn't always equate to career success, and I'm sorry you're going to have to swallow the fact that you might not be as valuable and talented as you thought while in college, but that doesn't mean college is a waste for everyone or that anyone who can realize the advantages of a college degree is naive/ignorant.
I never said college is a waste, and that is where you are twisting my words around. In addition, I'm doing perfectly well these days, as I have mentioned in this thread, but you also seem to be avoiding that altogether. You are really at a loss, aren't you?

Just because I worked for a crappy employer (as many of us have) doesn't mean I'm not talented or skilled. Within a few weeks of applying for jobs, I was recruited by a reputable IT company and given stock options in the company.

Again, I want to let you know how much I appreciate you telling me to "f**k off" in your DM. It shows what kind of bold man you really are.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:25 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I saw through the scam back in the 90's.

-Went to a community college. Almost no money $0.

-Went to a cheap state school. Veryl little $$$$.

There's so much pressure to go to a 4 year school. It's turned into a myth. I remember thinking....would there really be enough jobs for everyone? This was 1996.

-The baby boomer teachers encouraging us to go to college....no facts presented.

*They didn't show how much they paid. It would have been a pittance.
*They didn't show what the labor market was like. Completely different. It's apples to oranges....but they make it seem like apple to apple (the same thing).

Job creation in this recession isn't even keeping up with the population growth. I've read there has to be 200,000 jobs created a month, for 5 years, just to get back to where we were in 2007.

The teachers we had probably wouldn't have taken the same degrees, if they were graduating today. Something is wrong when the system is pushing college, yet you wouldn't take the same degree as 25-30 years ago. Is that a moral failure?

I think the boomers are about accumulating gains, and handing whatever is left (if they think they should). They saw the gains in 1970, 1975, 1980, 1990. Then....maybe.....give you a little bit by 1995.

A more responsible generation would have started giving gains back in 1995. Before the for profits exploded, and things started getting silly. And the draconian educational cuts.

I think it's funny, all these 58-62 year old boomers trying to hang onto every dime (tenure, benefits), in an educational system that they wouldn't want to go through themselves! Talk about something wrong. What a moral failure.
BS. Your generation wants to blame someone else for their own failure.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I absolutely went after him and his argument. So anytime you oppose someone's view, you must really feel bad about yourself deep down? Well, in that case, what does it say about someone who DMs you and tells you to "f**k off"? That guy must really be down in the dumps, eh?
Slackjaw did that? That doesn't sound like him.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:55 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Slackjaw did that? That doesn't sound like him.
Certainly does.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Certainly does.
Well good for him. I'm sure it was much deserved.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
He is not a bold man, he is a loser who can only use his spare time to attack people personally. His meds must not be working. Hope he doesn't treat his kid this way. What a household to live in.
You do realize the irony of you babbling about personal attacks when you are doing nothing at this point but standing on the sidelines slinging them? Meds? Kid? Household? You sound like a 12 year old flailing and screaming, get a hold of yourself.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 AM

What was this thread about again? I forget.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:20 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Well good for him. I'm sure it was much deserved.
She's generally sore because I don't accept her always bullet points from her resume as an automatic trump card in any disagreement.

It's actually kind of amusing she's exhibiting some telling personality traits here showing up to post in a dispute between two others with wild unfounded accusations and insults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics