Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:57 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,862,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie
Now is the time to put on your big boy pants and step up and show your family just who they produced. You are not an idio.
A very good STRONG REPLY from you Ginnie!!

I agree 10000% .. Dont be afraid!!

Old 11-19-2016, 10:36 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,963,327 times
So, my dad usually goes to my uncle's house on Thanksgiving. This year, with the email invitation sent by my aunt, there was a prohibition against discussing politics. Apparently, my cousins (who are 32 and 37 years old) are special snowflakes and need safe spaces.

My dad didn't take too kindly or it, as he is set in his ways and doesn't like being silenced. So he isn't going and I don't blame him.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:50 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,514,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
So, my dad usually goes to my uncle's house on Thanksgiving. This year, with the email invitation sent by my aunt, there was a prohibition against discussing politics. Apparently, my cousins (who are 32 and 37 years old) are special snowflakes and need safe spaces.

My dad didn't take too kindly or it, as he is set in his ways and doesn't like being silenced. So he isn't going and I don't blame him.
After reading the OP, you, and others, I'm giving thanks today that national politics is never a part of our Thanksgiving conversations. The notion that the election is actually disrupting a day like Thanksgiving, one day, a few hours, indicates your dad is a 'snowflake' in his own way.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
After reading the OP, you, and others, I'm giving thanks today that national politics is never a part of our Thanksgiving conversations. The notion that the election is actually disrupting a day like Thanksgiving, one day, a few hours, indicates your dad is a 'snowflake' in his own way.
Maybe, but as a combat veteran I think he's earned the right to talk about politics if he wants. My cousins? Not so much.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:05 AM

30,438 posts, read 19,211,902 times
Quote:

As Conservatives, we naturally are much more tolerant than the Safe Space seeking Snowflakes. I think Conservative should offer to lecture Liberals about learning to be tolerant of others with differing opinion and ideas.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:19 AM

34,075 posts, read 17,119,181 times
Quote:

I agree with him.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

Depends. If politics is usually discussed, anyone wishing to squash such free speech is a special snowflake, undeserving of time spent with family.

It should be like any other family event day.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Depends. If politics is usually discussed, anyone wishing to squash such free speech is a special snowflake, undeserving of time spent with family.

It should be like any other family event day.
It has been discussed for years at family events. I agree with his decision as well. I don't agree with him telling my aunt and uncle that he couldn't make it because his legs weren't doing well (he's 78 with bad circulation). He should tell them why he isn't going, but he doesn't want to cause trouble.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:48 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,596,612 times
Quote:
Maybe, but as a combat veteran I think he's earned the right to talk about politics if he wants. My cousins? Not so much.
Perhaps not, but what about your uncle's right to request that certain topics be avoided *in his house?*

Jeez, I remember when I was growing up, the rule of thumb was to avoid the topics of politics and religion at almost any social gathering, particularly when they were known to be sore subjects. It wasn't political correctness, it was just good manners.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Perhaps not, but what about your uncle's right to request that certain topics be avoided *in his house?*

Jeez, I remember when I was growing up, the rule of thumb was to avoid the topics of politics and religion at almost any social gathering, particularly when they were known to be sore subjects. It wasn't political correctness, it was just good manners.

My family talked about them all the time, disagreed tons, still loved each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections