Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 06:51 AM

13,801 posts, read 8,032,288 times

Advertisements

My mother is a life long Dem who voted for Trump. She's going to my brother house for dinner along with my sister. (I'm out of the country right now.)

My brother is pretty easy going regarding politics but his wife is a big time Dem. My sister is gay and another huge Dem supporter.
And my three college-age nieces go to hard core lib universities.

I told my mother not to mention she voted for Trump. Don't get involved in the political cross-talk.

My brother is the only likely to discuss politics rationally. My nieces? No need to have them hate grandma because who she voted for.

But my mother is 88 years old and stubborn so she'll likely jump right in.

I wished her good luck.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:01 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,596,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The OP's concerns are valid. If Hillary had won and I had to attend a family dinner and subject myself to constant insults about Trump and gloating about Hillary, I'd lose my appetite as well.

There are people who don't consider the feelings of others and seem to enjoy making them feel uncomfortable. And this is what the OP is facing. . .someone purposely starting trouble.

The only way I could make it through the visit when the political talk commences would be to half laugh and say that 'we've all had enough of politics' and try to steer the conversation elsewhere. If that didn't work I'd wish them all a nice Thanksgiving and leave. Naturally the offenders would give the deer-in-the-headlights and act as though I were the troublemaker, but that's normal for bullies.
I've made an argument for trying to keep the family together, but if things truly get that bad, no one should have to endure nonstop taunting and put-downs. That's true always, and not just about politics.

If all efforts to keep the peace fail, then the environment is toxic, and it's time for a break, hopefully a temporary one.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:11 AM

13,801 posts, read 8,032,288 times
My sister likes to drink but when she has too much she can become insulting. I simply won't tolerate such behavior especially in front of my nieces and nephew. Either she cools it with the booze or count my out of family card games.

She cut back on the drinking.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:22 AM

39,088 posts, read 51,273,483 times
We have only one black sheep Trump supporter in the immediate family. She is being disowned and ostracized to the extent practical. We have no room at the table for someone who would vote for a man who said and did the things Trump said and did during the campaign.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,596,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We have only one black sheep Trump supporter in the immediate family. She is being disowned and ostracized to the extent practical. We have no room at the table for someone who would vote for a man who said and did the things Trump said and did during the campaign.
I detest Trump, but that is really sad.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,984,161 times
Maybe someone said this already, but I would opt out of the family dinner, volunteering to help at a public Thanksgiving dinner at a church or other place. Not only do you do something good for those in need, you also send a message to family that "it's not them,"...but a higher cause you're choosing. Maybe your family will think for a minute that there are many people not so fortunate as they.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:27 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,203,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Awesome ... your family is a perfect example of how accepting liberals are ...

Old 11-19-2016, 07:29 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,936,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My entire family absolutely loves Trump. They are all conservative, right-wing, Fox News loving people. I am the only one in my entire family, except for a few others, who is a progressive Democrat who absolutely loves Bernie and voted for Clinton.

With that said, I dread going to Thanksgiving next week.

My dad ALWAYS has a way of bringing up politics in a way that provokes me and it always leads into huge, loud, long arguments and causes a scene in front of everyone. I was thinking of not even going, especially because Hillary lost.

It's always myself versus a SEA of crazy conservatives, and they literally believe in every Fox News thing you could imagine. Everything.
We have some Trump voters at our meal but fortunately they are not obnoxious RWNJs. Now my son is a different story, his father in law is a whack that is waaaay out there and loves to argue. Plan on keeping my distance from that meal. Be careful what you marry into :-).

Old 11-19-2016, 07:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The OP's concerns are valid. If Hillary had won and I had to attend a family dinner and subject myself to constant insults about Trump and gloating about Hillary, I'd lose my appetite as well.

There are people who don't consider the feelings of others and seem to enjoy making them feel uncomfortable. And this is what the OP is facing. . .someone purposely starting trouble.

The only way I could make it through the visit when the political talk commences would be to half laugh and say that 'we've all had enough of politics' and try to steer the conversation elsewhere. If that didn't work I'd wish them all a nice Thanksgiving and leave. Naturally the offenders would give the deer-in-the-headlights and act as though I were the troublemaker, but that's normal for bullies.

A nation running on feelings and emotions, is now a healthy nation.

The weakness that is displayed, is the reason Trump actually won this damn thing.
Grow a backbone and face them on the battlefield of reason.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
We have some Trump voters at our meal but fortunately they are not obnoxious RWNJs. Now my son is a different story, his father in law is a whack that is waaaay out there and loves to argue. Plan on keeping my distance from that meal. Be careful what you marry into :-).

Didn't you know, opposites attract and balance each other out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections