Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 07:25 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,088,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Don't be sad, your still living in the best country in all the world.
Well, for a little while longer, anyway...

Old 11-18-2016, 07:27 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Well, for a little while longer, anyway...

Are you looking at the glass as half empty or half full when you say that?

Old 11-18-2016, 07:42 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,434,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My entire family absolutely loves Trump. They are all conservative, right-wing, Fox News loving people. I am the only one in my entire family, except for a few others, who is a progressive Democrat who absolutely loves Bernie and voted for Clinton.

With that said, I dread going to Thanksgiving next week.

My dad ALWAYS has a way of bringing up politics in a way that provokes me and it always leads into huge, loud, long arguments and causes a scene in front of everyone. I was thinking of not even going, especially because Hillary lost.

It's always myself versus a SEA of crazy conservatives, and they literally believe in every Fox News thing you could imagine. Everything.
Now is the time to put on your big boy pants and step up and show your family just who they produced. You are not an idiot. You are no one's tool. You stand on your own two feet and you come to conclusions based on your life, a life that they played a major roll in creating. They gave you a base and you spread your wings and just happened to go in a different direction. Whether you all agree or not you are all still family.

You could be an angry loser or you can be gracious. You could remind them that The Donald has been a Democrat for most of his life. You could sit back and try to find some common ground. You could tell them you understand why Hillary lost. You could smile and raise your glass and toast your family, tell them you love them and that you genuinely hope all goes well.

Or you could sit home and have a few drinks and, every few minutes, wonder what they are doing. You could eat your take out or leftovers and be bitter.

It's your choice. Make the right one or maybe one day you'll be sitting by your dad's hospital bed and wonder what happened to the two of you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:57 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,986,986 times
Y'know, there simply can not be a one sided argument. There MUST be at least two people.
For the sake of your family, do NOT be one of those people.
If an opinion is demanded of you, simply state "I refuse to take part in this discussion, for the sake of family peace and harmony."
If they will not or can not accept that, just go home.

If the get-together is at YOUR house, just tell them that house rules (YOUR house rules) require that politics NOT be discussed. If somebody can not obey the House Rules, tell them to leave. No matter who it is, they must leave!
Just do not put up with it!

Old 11-18-2016, 07:59 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,979,018 times
Will they be serving you crow?

Old 11-18-2016, 08:03 PM

865 posts, read 623,875 times
Quote:
My entire family absolutely loves Trump. They are all conservative, right-wing, Fox News loving people. I am the only one in my entire family, except for a few others, who is a progressive Democrat who absolutely loves Bernie and voted for Clinton.

My dad ALWAYS has a way of bringing up politics in a way that provokes me and it always leads into huge, loud, long arguments and causes a scene in front of everyone. I was thinking of not even going, especially because Hillary lost.

It's always myself versus a SEA of crazy conservatives, and they literally believe in every Fox News thing you could imagine. Everything.
Take Obama's advice, talk about healthcare.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:06 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,243,157 times
Quote:

I don't get the partisanship. Trump is literally the least partisan candidate that has run in decades. He ran against both Democrats and Republicans and won. Hell, he ran a more successful campaign against Republicans than HRC. I would think that more Democrats would embrace at least some of his ideas as they are more in line with the Democratic platform. It's just a testament to how powerful ideology has become in America and how well the parties use it to herd the sheeple.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:14 PM

16,112 posts, read 10,775,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I don't get the partisanship. Trump is literally the least partisan candidate that has run in decades. He ran against both Democrats and Republicans and won. Hell, he ran a more successful campaign against Republicans than HRC. I would think that more Democrats would embrace at least some of his ideas as they are more in line with the Democratic platform. It's just a testament to how powerful ideology has become in America and how well the parties use it to herd the sheeple.
Trump is much more divisive than partisan.... on many levels...so people from both parties can find themselves on the same side opposing Trump. Maybe that will allow the family to make it to the pumpkin pie.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:14 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
The 20 or so friends I'll spend Thanksgiving with and I will show as much concern for the government as the government shows for us, that would be none.

Last edited by burdell; 11-18-2016 at 08:30 PM..

Old 11-18-2016, 08:21 PM

285 posts, read 198,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
Take Obama's advice, talk about healthcare.
Don't just talk about it, get in their faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections