Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2017, 07:59 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,229,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Get the government off of my .
Planes and Boats leave the country on a hourly basis, the fee for travel is fairly reasonable. I'm sure there are web sites which would be delighted to help you book travel arrangements.

I'd much prefer "the government" to guard my back, than to rely on the wealthy to privatize everything, and create a broader system of indentured servitude upon and against the masses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 08:14 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,359,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Not a *beeping* thing. I'm just hoping for the Great American Apology Tour to end and the floodgates to close or at least significantly narrow for anyone not willing to assimilate to our culuture.

I love my country, I feel as if the last eight years the man who was supposed to lead it didn't. Trump at least acts like he does.

I said in a previous post, if I don't see an influx of "diversity" forced upon my small rural town, am not forced to learn Spanish to keep my job, and don't find Syrian refugees living next door to me, I'll be satisfied. Or have my hours capped at 30 per week anymore (due to Obamacare).

Old 01-01-2017, 08:15 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
You think you don't need anything from government, until a tornado blows your home away, a flood devastates your home and town,
I have insurance, and if weaseling out of that is somehow possible, I can write a check for another residence.

Quote:
or a horrible illness befalls you or your loved ones. Or you get old and very sick and use up all your money on a nursing home.
My passive income alone exceeds my living expenses. I'm not married. I don't have kids. I have one under 18 relative I love 'like my own', so to speak, but my assets are a third backup behind that relative's mother's assets and trusts from grandparents. I have long term care insurance.

Quote:
Yeah, you won't ever need government...
No, I won't.

Quote:
And a nuclear attack is definitely more likely with a hothead in charge like Trump.
That is your opinion. I didn't vote for Trump, but IMO, and that of many others, Hillary would have been the worst choice.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:19 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,890,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Planes and Boats leave the country on a hourly basis, the fee for travel is fairly reasonable. I'm sure there are web sites which would be delighted to help you book travel arrangements.

I'd much prefer "the government" to guard my back, than to rely on the wealthy to privatize everything, and create a broader system of indentured servitude upon and against the masses.
Yes they do and many take advantage of that fact. There are many countries that are Ex-Pat friendly. Many of us intend to take full advantage of that.
I love my country and I'll love coming home to visit, but I'm taking my assets elsewhere.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:31 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post

If, before becoming a member of CD, you had begun to focus the energy you expend whining about the wealthy instead toward becoming wealthy yourself, you might have already achieved financial independence.

Last edited by RMESMH; 01-01-2017 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: ADDED 4 WORDS

Old 01-01-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Yes they do and many take advantage of that fact. There are many countries that are Ex-Pat friendly. Many of us intend to take full advantage of that.
I love my country and I'll love coming home to visit, but I'm taking my assets elsewhere.
It's ok, maybe its even good if you can issue invites for others within your circle to go along with you. Until we have people who actually like living in America as a governed country that build its systems to respect full diversity.
I've seen first hand Many who move to various countries, and many of such are not more than 2nd and third generation immigrants who came here to bleed what they could from this country in the first place. I can't say its any great loss.

I've seen people who flock to a variety of these other countries, and they want right away to hire the people there cheap as house keepers so as to give themselves the illusions of living above and being above some of the same people in the countries they flock to. Some flash a little money and hope to find a 20 yr old woman from some of those countries to pretend she wants a 60-70 yr old.

A suggestive thought, places like Syria should shortly have land for sale very cheaply, quite soon.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
If, before becoming a member of CD, you had focused the energy you expend whining about the wealthy toward becoming wealthy yourself, you might have already achieved financial independence.
How do you know I did not..... (not boasting only a point of fact) I'm quite sure I've made and lost more than many will ever earn or gain.... Money comes and money goes, for any and all even when death comes, money stays.... None has ever taken anything with them. The other matter is... death will not by-pass any, and when it does, the money will still remain right here on this planet. It's as I've found, important to care about people, make ones way as best they can, and understand the necessity of money for means and convenience, but not to make it become the highest valued thing in ones living experience.

I don't despise wealthy people, I do however have far lesser regard for greedy and desperate people whom are driven by avarice to the point they don't care what they do, whom they harm and how many lives they damage to gain wealth.
I prefer the option of being a contributor unto the betterment of life and people, as for me, gains through such means, I appreciate.

What benefit or good does it do people who make clear after expense and taxes 100's of million and $billions in profits, to pay people minimum wage for works being done? What good does it do a Bank to Make multiple $Billion every 3 months, while habits and practices swindle people out of money with collusive practices that attach fees that are not only beyond reason, but are simply pure greed to fleece the people to such a degree as is being done.
Nor do I see a need to pursue 300-3000% profit, but refuse to pay people a living wage.
I don't care for people who fleeced the Tax system out of nearly a billion dollars in one year, and surely kept up the habit of doing such activities in successive years, all the while pursuing tax credit from struggling cities and filing bankruptcy to keep from paying people what they were owed after personally looting their own business as a means to claim a high net worth.
No thank you, I won't put my energy to that nature of pursuits, I prefer to earn with honest means and delivering quality products and services, and paying for the labor of those whom help me make something work to provide goods and services.
I don't care to swindle people of their ideas and build upon it to gain wealth and in return giving nothing to those whom generated the ideas. I too, have known Executives who function in just such a manner.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 01-01-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 01-01-2017, 08:51 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,986,986 times
I expect trump to do the same for me that all Presidents have done, clear back to Eisenhower: Ab. so. lute. ly. NOTHING!
In fact, I hope he leaves me completely alone, just as all those other Presidents did.
But, that only applies to ME, not the country.
As for the country, I hope he keeps at least 20% of his campaign promises. Hoping for more than that would be silly; no politician can, or ever does, do that. In fact, based on experience, most are lucky to keep 5% of the promises they made during the campaign!
While trump wasn't a "politician" when he started campaigning, he certainly is one now. We can expect him to act like one!

Old 01-01-2017, 08:54 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,481,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
nothing.. government can stop getting in the way and punishing those who work hard to be successful.
Who is being punished?

Old 01-01-2017, 09:03 AM

7,148 posts, read 12,683,391 times
My answer stems from what would make America great (again). I'd like a rising tide to lift ALL boats, not just me, but including me.

In my opinion, this is what I'd like Trump and his administration to focus on:

--crafting the best public education in the free world

--instituting truly affordable healthcare for everyone

--creating affordable college education

--having a living wage for all workers

--bringing back our manufacturing --if this is even possible. Given the growth of robotics, I wonder how many jobs would be created, truly? But I'd like to see many more labels saying "Made in America."

--creating affordable childcare for families

--establishing more parks and green spaces and walking and cycling paths to make America healthy again

--avoiding wars and situations of U.S. aggression for a profit motive

--examining why we have the largest prison population in the world and instituting measures to put people to work rather than in jail. Programs such as the WPA and CCC could be used as a pattern to explore.

I could go on, but the above is what I'd like to see. I'd like the country I live in to be a bright shining, living example of the Golden Rule. That would make our nation great (again).

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness about covers it, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections