Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 10:29 AM

6,035 posts, read 2,849,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
My relatives look at the person as well as the party. Vance is not the type of person they want as their senator.
Inflation is the hot button topic of this elections. Representative Ryan voted for every single spending package, which has led to our out of control inflation. You and I cannot vote in Ohio, however, the question I would pose for your relatives, is: "Given that Representative Ryan is part of the reason inflation is as high as it is, due to his vote for lots of spending, why do you think he is the candidate to vote for? Not to mention, Representative Ryan supports the Progressive 'Build Back Better', which if passed, would further increase inflation, greatly..."

I can certainly understand the "type of person" reasoning, though that is based in feelings, not logic. What is boils down to is: one candidate will vote for worsen inflation, and another will vote to flatline it where it is... The choice is your relatives... What kind of future do they want?

Old 06-01-2022, 10:39 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,309,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
As I said this seat is going to be vulnerable for the GOP. Ryan has a real shot and flipping this seat...

People don’t want the tin foil hat wearing folks and conspiracy theorists.
People don't want carpetbaggers either. The GOP candidates in both the PA and OH races recently moved to that state solely to run for the US Senate seat.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:04 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Quote:
My relatives look at the person as well as the party. Vance is not the type of person they want as their senator.
That’s refreshing to hear

Old 06-01-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Inflation is the hot button topic of this elections. Representative Ryan voted for every single spending package, which has led to our out of control inflation. You and I cannot vote in Ohio, however, the question I would pose for your relatives, is: "Given that Representative Ryan is part of the reason inflation is as high as it is, due to his vote for lots of spending, why do you think he is the candidate to vote for? Not to mention, Representative Ryan supports the Progressive 'Build Back Better', which if passed, would further increase inflation, greatly..."

I can certainly understand the "type of person" reasoning, though that is based in feelings, not logic. What is boils down to is: one candidate will vote for worsen inflation, and another will vote to flatline it where it is... The choice is your relatives... What kind of future do they want?
You know why there is inflation?

We had a pandemic that started in 2020. Both Presidents Trump and Biden flooded the economy with money to stave off an economic depression. Trump gave out record stimulus checks to everybody. He wanted to give more and he criticized the house and senate (Republican run) in 2020 for not giving more. Biden gave out one more stimulus check to everyone in 2021. We had a year and half of stimulus checks given out and money poured into the economy.

Businesses are having trouble finding workers. There is no longer cries to set the minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour. In a two year economic rattle the lowest tier went from 8 bucks an hour to 12 to 15. Everybody got a boost in wages.

Given everything that has happened with stimulus checks given out by trump and Biden as well as the lowest tier getting a huge boost due to a workforce crater because people aren’t there to fill jobs. What did you expect to happen?

Did you think the prices of everything were going to stay the same and gas was going to stay sub 3 dollars?

Would you rather have inflation or depression? That was the choices we had.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:48 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times
Quote:
You know why there is inflation?

We had a pandemic that started in 2020. Both Presidents Trump and Biden flooded the economy with money to stave off an economic depression. Trump gave out record stimulus checks to everybody. He wanted to give more and he criticized the house and senate (Republican run) in 2020 for not giving more. Biden gave out one more stimulus check to everyone in 2021. We had a year and half of stimulus checks given out and money poured into the economy.

Businesses are having trouble finding workers. There is no longer cries to set the minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour. In a two year economic rattle the lowest tier went from 8 bucks an hour to 12 to 15. Everybody got a boost in wages.

Given everything that has happened with stimulus checks given out by trump and Biden as well as the lowest tier getting a huge boost due to a workforce crater because people aren’t there to fill jobs. What did you expect to happen?

Did you think the prices of everything were going to stay the same and gas was going to stay sub 3 dollars?

Would you rather have inflation or depression? That was the choices we had.
Unfortunately so many would rather not look at the various causes of inflation. It is much easier to just use the talking point that it all the fault of Biden/Democrats and everything will be just fine if Republicans are elected and in control.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:14 PM

6,035 posts, read 2,849,862 times
Quote:
Unfortunately so many would rather not look at the various causes of inflation. It is much easier to just use the talking point that it all the fault of Biden/Democrats and everything will be just fine if Republicans are elected and in control.
I never said the Republicans would fix it. I said they would stop it from getting worse, by not passing gargantuan spending packages.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I never said the Republicans would fix it. I said they would stop it from getting worse, by not passing gargantuan spending packages.
We have already been there and done that with Trump. He gave trillions away in stimulus checks to many people and those that didn’t need it. The only thing I disagreed with is giving people money that didn’t need it. Otherwise it was the right thing to do. Again inflation or depression take your pick.

And you make a good point and you echo the same sentiments when I ask republicans that question. How are they going to fix inflation? Fix supply chains, deal with shortages? How are they going to find more people to work and fill jobs? How are they going to deal with the ongoing conflict in Ukraine. Just voting Republican is not going to magically fix those things. As you stated they appear to have no plans for handling these things

Most people that post here are right to far right, yet I have yet to hear solid solutions to tackle those issues. Same thing with all the GOP candidates I hear running. Talking about stolen elections, conspiracy theories, making abortion illegal, punishing companies like Disney.

What is their platform? I have yet to hear it.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The GOP has no plan to deal with inflation, supply shortages, managing the virus, and the Ukraine conflict. They all want us to pull the R lever but have no platform or ideas to fix these issues. Vote them in and it will be short lived. They will be out the next election cycle.

All they want to focus on is conspiracy theories, stolen election theories, making abortion illegal, giving back peoples rights (whatever that means) and ignore the virus.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:27 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,215,339 times
We've seen one Senate race after another in red states where the Democratic nominee polls competitively, and then on Election Day, the Republican ends up winning in a landslide. More important than the margin in this poll is that a large share of voters are undecided. Additionally, the "low social trust" voters who prefer populist, conservative, Trump supporting candidates tend not to respond to polls.

While Ryan may be about the best possible Democrat for Ohio (aside from current Sen. Brown), the state has likely shifted too far to the right for him to have a chance - especially with the #MAGA crowd more motivated than ever to elect a Congress that will oppose the Biden administration. Vance making unorthodox remarks that astound the media likely endears him even more to such voters.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:43 PM

899 posts, read 541,143 times
Quote:
We have already been there and done that with Trump. He gave trillions away in stimulus checks to many people and those that didn’t need it. The only thing I disagreed with is giving people money that didn’t need it. Otherwise it was the right thing to do. Again inflation or depression take your pick.

And you make a good point and you echo the same sentiments when I ask republicans that question. How are they going to fix inflation? Fix supply chains, deal with shortages? How are they going to find more people to work and fill jobs? How are they going to deal with the ongoing conflict in Ukraine. Just voting Republican is not going to magically fix those things. As you stated they appear to have no plans for handling these things

Most people that post here are right to far right, yet I have yet to hear solid solutions to tackle those issues. Same thing with all the GOP candidates I hear running. Talking about stolen elections, conspiracy theories, making abortion illegal, punishing companies like Disney.

What is their platform? I have yet to hear it.
1.6% inflation when Biden came into office. It's now 8.6%.

He was warned by the most prominent economist in the country - Larry Summers - that the Biden stimulus package of March 2021 seriously risked tipping the country into inflationary territory. Biden chose not to listen. He preferred his own "experts."

As Biden was fond of saying, the buck stops with me. Your posts are the same old spiel refusing to hold the Democrats accountable for what is effectively their mess.

As for Ohio polling, nice cherry picking. Vance has a lead in a polling entity with a history of being heavily biased towards Democrats and somehow that is turned into "deadlocked."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections