Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 11:52 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
My stepdad and mother who are very much old school republicans (they hated Trump and hate the direction the party seems be headed) have already started donating to Tim Ryan...they are very much John Kasich Republicans but they will be voting Tim Ryan...they will still be supporting Republican Governor Mike DeWine but they don't care at all for JD Vance....they had supported Mike Dolan in the Primary...but too many uneducated rural folk live in this state and they all are part of the Trump cult.
OK, so more people who didn't vote for Trump and aren't planning to vote for Vance. I don't see what's significant about this.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:52 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Inflation is the hot button topic of this elections. Representative Ryan voted for every single spending package, which has led to our out of control inflation. You and I cannot vote in Ohio, however, the question I would pose for your relatives, is: "Given that Representative Ryan is part of the reason inflation is as high as it is, due to his vote for lots of spending, why do you think he is the candidate to vote for? Not to mention, Representative Ryan supports the Progressive 'Build Back Better', which if passed, would further increase inflation, greatly..."

I can certainly understand the "type of person" reasoning, though that is based in feelings, not logic. What is boils down to is: one candidate will vote for worsen inflation, and another will vote to flatline it where it is... The choice is your relatives... What kind of future do they want?
Like me, his parents don't want a racist redneck MAGA supporter representing is in the Senate. Hopefully we can flip this seat...Tim Ryan has been a good Congressman and is very much the same as our other good Senator, Sherrod Brown.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:01 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
So in other words, they are now Democrats.
Nope...still contributing to Governor DeWine and several local Republicans who don't share the Trump conspiracy theories.

I'm trying to convince them to come over to the good side, but this is a small win that I'll take. It's one step closer to it hopefully...at least in 2020, they didn't vote for a Presidential candidate.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:47 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Do they look upon Ryan as a less distasteful choice than Biden, whom they didn't vote for in 2020? If so, that doesn't make much sense to me. And I've yet to come across someone here in Ohio, in real life, who thinks that way.
It is worth noting that Ryan won his district by 7.6, and Biden won it by 3.6, so there is at least albeit limited amount of voters who voted for both Trump and Ryan in 2020. Now that isn't the 8 point statewide margin, but it does remain to be seen if Vance can garner the same blue collar populist support Trump did. Now, I do think Vance will win, but this should at least be a competitive race.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:52 PM

899 posts, read 541,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It is worth noting that Ryan won his district by 7.6, and Biden won it by 3.6, so there is at least albeit limited amount of voters who voted for both Trump and Ryan in 2020. Now that isn't the 8 point statewide margin, but it does remain to be seen if Vance can garner the same blue collar populist support Trump did. Now, I do think Vance will win, but this should at least be a competitive race.
Prediction: come November it will not be close at all. Vance will win with margins comparable if perhaps slightly behind DeWine.

No doubt that Ryan is a nice guy selling himself as a moderate D, but when push comes to shove, he will vote in lockstep with the Democratic party on just about every matter in the Senate. The number of Republicans who are willing to sacrifice a senate seat for a D who will vote with the rest of the Ds 99%+ of the way is going to be quite small.

And, of course, remember that Trump won Ohio twice. Increasing his margin in 2020 over 2016. I find it very hard to see how, in a year with a major Red wave and an R base that is, going by all polling, much more eager to get out and vote in the midterms, a D is going to buck the trend.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:14 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Fair, but there's a passage-of-time element that needs to be accounted for here, too. According to Civiqs, Biden's favorable vs. unfavorable in Ohio was 39-56 at Election Day 2020, and is now 33-61, and the Democratic Party's favorable vs. unfavorable nationally (they don't have it broken down by state) was 43-51 at Election Day 2020, and is now 35-57.

So, in theory, Ryan could be four points more popular than Biden across the entire state when November 2022 comes, and still lose by more than Biden did.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Prediction: come November it will not be close at all. Vance will win with margins comparable if perhaps slightly behind DeWine.

No doubt that Ryan is a nice guy selling himself as a moderate D, but when push comes to shove, he will vote in lockstep with the Democratic party on just about every matter in the Senate. The number of Republicans who are willing to sacrifice a senate seat for a D who will vote with the rest of the Ds 99%+ of the way is going to be quite small.

And, of course, remember that Trump won Ohio twice. Increasing his margin in 2020 over 2016. I find it very hard to see how, in a year with a major Red wave and an R base that is, going by all polling, much more eager to get out and vote in the midterms, a D is going to buck the trend.
Trump's margin in Ohio was technically smaller in 2020 than it was in 2016, but it is splitting hairs because it barely changed (8.07 in 2016 and 8.02 in 2020).

Old 06-02-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Fair, but there's a passage-of-time element that needs to be accounted for here, too. According to Civiqs, Biden's favorable vs. unfavorable in Ohio was 39-56 at Election Day 2020, and is now 33-61, and the Democratic Party's favorable vs. unfavorable nationally (they don't have it broken down by state) was 43-51 at Election Day 2020, and is now 35-57.

So, in theory, Ryan could be four points more popular than Biden across the entire state when November 2022 comes, and still lose by more than Biden did.
There is no question the current political climate favors the Republicans and as I mentioned I do think Vance is going to win. With that said, Ryan is certainly the strongest candidate the Democrats have in the state (and a much better fit for the state than Biden) and despite the strong endorsement I'm not sure if Vance is going to have the same appeal Trump did in the state. The current climate is likely what puts Vance over, but it isn't safe.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:34 PM

6,035 posts, read 2,849,862 times
Quote:
Like me, his parents don't want a racist redneck MAGA supporter representing is in the Senate. Hopefully we can flip this seat...Tim Ryan has been a good Congressman and is very much the same as our other good Senator, Sherrod Brown.
I will excuse your quite immature insults of Mr. Vance, unless you can back up your claims of him being a racist or a redneck. Representative Ryan and Senator Brown voted for every single bill that has lead to our exorbitantly high inflation, the #1 issue of this election, according to polling. A vote for either of them is a vote for higher inflation. They have already proven this to be the case. I did not like anyone that ran in the Republican primary, but why does Representative Ryan deserve to win, given that he is partly responsible for our current economic state, and supports policies that will worsen inflation? It does not make any logical sense…

Last edited by FordBronco1967; 06-02-2022 at 10:48 PM..

Old 06-02-2022, 10:48 PM

6,035 posts, read 2,849,862 times
Quote:
Nope...still contributing to Governor DeWine and several local Republicans who don't share the Trump conspiracy theories.

I'm trying to convince them to come over to the good side, but this is a small win that I'll take. It's one step closer to it hopefully...at least in 2020, they didn't vote for a Presidential candidate.
Perhaps that is what they are telling you so that you will stop bugging them about their private voting decision...

Maybe if you threaten them with “I will not come over or talk to you unless you vote straight Democrat”. I have actually heard of people doing this (both sides, but more so with Democrats threatening Republican parents)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections