Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2022, 04:56 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Philadelphia police just endorsed Oz over Fetterman, while also endorsing Democrat Shapiro for the governor’s race. Why anyone in law enforcement would ever vote for any Democrat is perplexing.
Why would anyone in law enforcement endorse anyone from the "guns for all" party?

Old 10-03-2022, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Very little reason to go to Braddock. It’s a dumpy area.

It doesn’t take a medical degree to see that he sounds even more of a dullard than usual and uses his health excuse not to debate until after mail in voting starts.
Dullards don`t have Ivy league degrees.
Have you been to any other small towns where a factory closed?

Old 10-03-2022, 05:07 AM

This disabled veteran talked to both candidates.
https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...s/202210020153

Old 10-03-2022, 09:02 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Dullards don`t have Ivy league degrees.
Have you been to any other small towns where a factory closed?
Being educated doesn’t make one intelligent.

Quite the deflection as Fetterman had plenty of time to clean that town up and it’s still lousy, just like his resume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Why would anyone in law enforcement endorse anyone from the "guns for all" party?
Lol at endorsing guns for all. They’re endorsing someone that doesn’t defend and enable criminals like Fetterman does.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:27 AM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,782,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Dr. Oz versus John Fetterman

Why do the MAGA Republicans in support of Mehmet OZ continually call a downtrodden Pennsylvania town of 2,000 people lousy? Why do they repeatedly call John Fetterman a clown for stepping up to serve as mayor, when the people of that town, in which he lived & worked, asked him to do so? Why are they again and again shaming the people of Braddock and demeaning a guy who spent 13 years working to help rebuild a community down on its luck since the decline of the steel industry?

By the way John Fetterman and his family continue to live in that town as he serves the folks of Braddock and all of Pennsylvania in his current capacity as Lieutenant-Governor. I know Braddock, and many of the other devastated communities that dot the map of Pennsylvania. John Fetterman does as well. Mehmet Oz does not; nor does he show any inclination to understand them or appear to have any actual policy plans or proposals to adequately represent them.

The usual GOP political tactics are at work in this thread. You know, call a town and its people lousy. Throw some out of context data around to scare voters, and falsely over and over tell people all their anger & grievances--- about their very own lot in life---are the fault of the Democratic candidate who rolled up his sleeves to assist when needed.

Mehmet Oz has been very good at telling we Pennsylvanians what is wrong with us and our "lousy" towns and our communities; happy to tell Pennsylvania women it is criminal for demanding the right to governance over our own bodies; eager to deny the 2020 election, the nation's foundational principle of democracy and the POTUS who our state selected. But does he want to join us and work with all of us? The clear answer I see is a resounding NO!

Oz and his supporters on this thread have been very consistent with their attempt to shame and blame voters and the Democratic candidate, John Fetterman, who has consistently been a part of working toward solutions for the problems of Pennsylvanians. They offer nothing that shows us Oz is the right fit for Pennsylvania. I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that is due to the fact that MAGA Republican Mehmet Oz has nothing meaningful to offer. They know he has no solutions, potions or lotions that Pennsylvanians want to purchase.

Distract & deflect, same old same old: A Republican senatorial candidate running on crime when his own political party has consistently voted against anti-gun violence measures, crime prevention legislation and actual funding of the police.

"Inflame, shame and blame" is the name of the game in the quest for votes & MAGA Republican power in D.C. This is the GOP MO that we are seeing in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in this midterm election, IMO. A deliberate effort at exacerbation of problems, rather than meaningful work toward solving them.

Both candidates have shown us who they are. I like Fetterman's chances here in the Keystone State.

It's not "MAGA" Republicans (are you listening to Biden or something?), but people who don't like his extreme-left views and are questioning his fitness for office. There.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:37 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I’d rate Dr. Oz by his abilities to be a self made success ...
You admire a snake oil salesman?

Old 10-03-2022, 09:51 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Dr. Oz versus John Fetterman

Why do the MAGA Republicans in support of Mehmet OZ continually call a downtrodden Pennsylvania town of 2,000 people lousy? Why do they repeatedly call John Fetterman a clown for stepping up to serve as mayor, when the people of that town, in which he lived & worked, asked him to do so? Why are they again and again shaming the people of Braddock and demeaning a guy who spent 13 years working to help rebuild a community down on its luck since the decline of the steel industry?

By the way John Fetterman and his family continue to live in that town as he serves the folks of Braddock and all of Pennsylvania in his current capacity as Lieutenant-Governor. I know Braddock, and many of the other devastated communities that dot the map of Pennsylvania. John Fetterman does as well. Mehmet Oz does not; nor does he show any inclination to understand them or appear to have any actual policy plans or proposals to adequately represent them.

The usual GOP political tactics are at work in this thread. You know, call a town and its people lousy. Throw some out of context data around to scare voters, and falsely over and over tell people all their anger & grievances--- about their very own lot in life---are the fault of the Democratic candidate who rolled up his sleeves to assist when needed.

Mehmet Oz has been very good at telling we Pennsylvanians what is wrong with us and our "lousy" towns and our communities; happy to tell Pennsylvania women it is criminal for demanding the right to governance over our own bodies; eager to deny the 2020 election, the nation's foundational principle of democracy and the POTUS who our state selected. But does he want to join us and work with all of us? The clear answer I see is a resounding NO!

Oz and his supporters on this thread have been very consistent with their attempt to shame and blame voters and the Democratic candidate, John Fetterman, who has consistently been a part of working toward solutions for the problems of Pennsylvanians. They offer nothing that shows us Oz is the right fit for Pennsylvania. I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that is due to the fact that MAGA Republican Mehmet Oz has nothing meaningful to offer. They know he has no solutions, potions or lotions that Pennsylvanians want to purchase.

Distract & deflect, same old same old: A Republican senatorial candidate running on crime when his own political party has consistently voted against anti-gun violence measures, crime prevention legislation and actual funding of the police.

"Inflame, shame and blame" is the name of the game in the quest for votes & MAGA Republican power in D.C. This is the GOP MO that we are seeing in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in this midterm election, IMO. A deliberate effort at exacerbation of problems, rather than meaningful work toward solving them.

Both candidates have shown us who they are. I like Fetterman's chances here in the Keystone State.
Such a Democrat thing to say: "working toward solutions."

Never actually achieving solutions, just "working toward" them, forever.

I couldn't have described the Democrat ethos better myself.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:58 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
You admire a snake oil salesman?
Nope, I admire a self made success that doesn’t support defending and enabling criminals, isn’t a slob representing the state, isn’t a freeloader, etc…, but it’s hilarious how you ignore those things…because Trump

Old 10-03-2022, 10:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
What I find strange is that Oz gave up his lucrative show where he made much more money than what a Senator salary would be for him.

If he loses, he is damaged goods to return to the media world. I’m not sure if Fox would want him.

If he got bored of the show’s format, he could have shaped it to be the conservative daytime show against The View on Fox and Sinclair stations. He would have a lot of influence having more conservative politicians, with a mix of health segments in lieu of celebrity segments

If he wins the Senate Seat, he will just be 1/100 votes, and aided heavily by Trump’s endorsement, and McConnell’s Senate Leadership Fund money in ads. Not all that influential really. When Hillary Clinton carpet-bagged for NY, she chose a safe blue state, and it was just a stepping stone so that she could be experienced to run for President. For Oz, carpet bagging to PA seems like a less of a reward.

I just watched the Wegner crudités video of Oz. Fetterman should just play this over and over in the Philly market. The Oz on his abortion views ads are getting redundant and likely not influential to men voters. It seems both Oz and Fetterman want the upper income swing voters in the Main Line suburbs, that have shifted left, and these voters are likely the Wegmans shoppers.
Do you also find it strange that Oz gave up his medical career to promote unproven and in some cases dangerous medical cures on TV? He started The Dr. Oz Show when he was 49. Oz was a successful cardiothoracic surgeon and had became a professor at the Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons in 2001. He tried to do both for a number of years but he had to promote unproven medical cures to keep his rating ups. The premise of the show was Oz wanted his viewers to take their health into their own hands by giving them the honest advice that they wouldn't get elsewhere. By 2015, a group of 10 physicians demanded Columbia remove Oz from the faculty for his alleged "disdain for science and for evidence-based medicine." The following is a direct quote from the letter those physicians sent to the Dean of the Faculties of Health Sciences and Medicine at Columbia University.

Quote:
Dr. Oz is guilty of either outrageous conflicts of interest or flawed judgements about what constitutes appropriate medical treatments, or both. Whatever the nature of his pathology, members of the public are being misled and endangered, which makes Dr. Oz's presence on the faculty of a prestigious medical institution unacceptable.
So what motivates Dr. Oz? It is not prestige, he damaged his professional reputation with the TV show. I don't think it is money. His wife is one of the heirs to the Asplundh Tree Expert company.He made a comfortable living as a cardiothoracic surgeon. If money motivated him, I agree, why leave the TV show for a run in politics. There is minimal information available that Oz has a strong interest in politics. The answer has to be boredom with the TV show and the grind of a daily show. So at age 62, now is the time to bail out on the TV show and do something different for the next six years.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:32 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
What I find strange is that Oz gave up his lucrative show where he made much more money than what a Senator salary would be for him.

If he loses, he is damaged goods to return to the media world. I’m not sure if Fox would want him.

If he got bored of the show’s format, he could have shaped it to be the conservative daytime show against The View on Fox and Sinclair stations. He would have a lot of influence having more conservative politicians, with a mix of health segments in lieu of celebrity segments

If he wins the Senate Seat, he will just be 1/100 votes, and aided heavily by Trump’s endorsement, and McConnell’s Senate Leadership Fund money in ads. Not all that influential really. When Hillary Clinton carpet-bagged for NY, she chose a safe blue state, and it was just a stepping stone so that she could be experienced to run for President. For Oz, carpet bagging to PA seems like a less of a reward.

I just watched the Wegner crudités video of Oz. Fetterman should just play this over and over in the Philly market. The Oz on his abortion views ads are getting redundant and likely not influential to men voters. It seems both Oz and Fetterman want the upper income swing voters in the Main Line suburbs, that have shifted left, and these voters are likely the Wegmans shoppers.
Your guess is as good as any.
I noticed Senators all develop a big ego after they've been there for more than a term.
Some have the ego when they first arrive, and others develop it later.

It's an office where someone can be a Very Important Person, known all over the country and the world, without actually having to do very much work.
Even better, it only takes 2 terms to have a career with a ton of benefits. A single term can set someone up for an even more lucrative career as a lobbyist.

Every seat carries a lot of attention, but no one has much responsibility unless they want to take it on.
No one has to be liked to be a famous Senator. No one has to be good looking to be famous. No one has to be exceptionally intelligent to be famous. No one has to be accomplished to be famous.

No one has to even show up for work to become famous. Any Senator can come and go to work as they please.

For a lot of aspiring people, it's a better job than the Presidency that has a longer time in the spotlight and is very resistant to changing public opinions. A Senator can work hard and go down in history, or take it easy and party down, and both can do it for as long as they want. The perks are more bountiful than the pay.

And Washington D.C. is a very sparkling and heady place to live, especially when a person ranks high in the government. It's a place where someone plain a drab can become famous and glamorous without having to work hard at it.

All that makes it quite attractive for some folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections