Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 02:02 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,497 times

Advertisements

The reality is that in Michigan its pretty straightforward.

There are pretty solid blue voting blocks that always tend to vote along party lines:
Labor unions (UAW), teachers unions, the predominantly black urban centers (Detroit, Flint), and the more liberal leaning areas like Washtenaw County, and young college age students

There are some pretty solid red voting blocks that are always going to vote red along party lines:
Rural counties, religious conservatives, and historically many of the small business owners

Before you even start from there you basically have 40% / 40% aligned and entrenched in both sides.

Thus at best you are talking about swaying the remaining 20% of undecided voters, those that don't vote down party lines, and those that are in the middle of the political spectrum. This includes a lot of suburban residents, and a lot of women.

The republicans did themselves no favors in Michigan by putting up some terrible candidates in the statewide elections. They were unlikable by the middle of the spectrum.

There was a lot of people against Whitmer and didn't like the way she did things, it would not have taken much for quality and well-funded republican to beat her this year. Instead you put up a MAGA loving, election denier, conspiracy theory promoting, no-namer that has no chance of grabbing a share of the middle 20% of the spectrum.

Prop 3 also had an impact, since it mobilized women and younger people to vote in this election and also in part to the unlikable aspect of Dixon to vote for Whitmer.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:07 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,497 times
The reality is with Detroit, like every city there is crime. Crime is a result of a variety of factors coming together. Its naive to think that any one party can solve this problem by itself.

Detroit gets bashed for crime but the reality is most the crime is caused by the buying/selling of drugs, sex, guns, being involved in gangs, or domestic issues between known individuals. If you avoid engaging in these vices and/or don't have crazy/violent friends or family it won't impact you.

Yes there are some bad areas, but you don't have to go to those bad areas, and if you don't have a reason to be there you probably shouldn't. But if you don't live there you have no reason to be in some of those areas.

This is no different than most other cities.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:11 PM

3,113 posts, read 939,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
The reality is with Detroit, like every city there is crime. Crime is a result of a variety of factors coming together. Its naive to think that any one party can solve this problem by itself.

Detroit gets bashed for crime but the reality is most the crime is caused by the buying/selling of drugs, sex, guns, being involved in gangs, or domestic issues between known individuals. If you avoid engaging in these vices and/or don't have crazy/violent friends or family it won't impact you.

Yes there are some bad areas, but you don't have to go to those bad areas, and if you don't have a reason to be there you probably shouldn't. But if you don't live there you have no reason to be in some of those areas.

This is no different than most other cities.
Crime is one thing. And a bad thing. It impacts you more if you're a Detroiter versus someone who just stops on by to gamble in Greektown.

But I won't talk about crime. The city itself, 95%, is basically in some stage of ruin. And that's all on Democrats.

Last edited by AfricanSunset; 11-09-2022 at 02:35 PM..

Old 11-09-2022, 02:45 PM

610 posts, read 264,202 times
I was skeptical of Whitmer's tactic of running for reelection pretty much exclusively on abortion rights, but it clearly paid off. In addition to Dixon not being overly likeable, she did not go hard enough on Whitmer for some of her ridiculous COVID actions. There was a TON of material to work with there that was ignored.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:19 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
I was skeptical of Whitmer's tactic of running for reelection pretty much exclusively on abortion rights, but it clearly paid off. In addition to Dixon not being overly likeable, she did not go hard enough on Whitmer for some of her ridiculous COVID actions. There was a TON of material to work with there that was ignored.
Dixon was just a poor candidate, full stop.

Now, had it been Chief Craig, that might have been a different story.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:20 PM

956 posts, read 510,784 times
Firs time since before I was born as Michigander that dems control both state chambers. Surprising as I was always told Michigan is a dem state more so.

God the worst fear could be at home state and not at Federal level. Though it is a razor thin majority.

SO god I hope we do not become like California!!

I imagine California has almost all liberals everywhere in state legislature.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:22 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
Firs time since before I was born as Michigander that dems control both state chambers. Surprising as I was always told Michigan is a dem state more so.

God the worst fear could be at home state and not at Federal level. Though it is a razor thin majority.

SO god I hope we do not become like California!!

I imagine California has almost all liberals everywhere in state legislature.
That is my fear as well. Although Whitmer is nothing like Newsom. If that was the case i'd already have the U-haul truck packed up.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:56 PM

13,278 posts, read 7,316,697 times
So amusing watching the maga crowd lose.

No way Trump, or DeSantis will win the midwest if republicans can't even win statewide races in this economy. Democrats will win the Whitehouse again in 2024.

Old 11-09-2022, 04:12 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Dixon was just a poor candidate, full stop.

Now, had it been Chief Craig, that might have been a different story.
He was my first choice.

Old 11-09-2022, 04:18 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
He was my first choice.
Indeed. James "Hollywood" Craig would have had a better than even chance again Gretchen "Big Gretch" Whitmer.

But his campaign staff bungled the voter petitions for his candidacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections