Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2022, 06:16 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well...it looks like MI is on it's way to being a CA or NY. I think the GOP is done in this state for good.
No, but MAGA didn't sell in Michigan this time around.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:31 AM

29,445 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
It had nothing to do with that and everything to do with abortion. And the fact that this state isn't suffering as much as the rest of the country. The balance of power has worked pretty well here...we will see what happens now though.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:32 AM

13,232 posts, read 7,290,839 times
Quote:
If Biden is able to rescue the economy by 2024 and he is still has a pulse no way Republicans can win the Whitehouse in 2024 if the Midwest is blue. Trump, and DeSantis are MAGAs IMO either of those win the primary I can't see how they can win.

Economy could get worse while lot of complaining of high prices unemployment is low wages are still going up. I still don't think MAGA candidates can win the rust belt states even if it gets worse.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
If Biden is able to rescue the economy by 2024 and he is still has a pulse no way Republicans can win the Whitehouse in 2024 if the Midwest is blue. Trump, and DeSantis are MAGAs IMO either of those win the primary I can't see how they can win.

Economy could get worse while lot of complaining of high prices unemployment is low wages are still going up. I still don't think MAGA candidates can win the rust belt states even if it gets worse.
So MAGA is now what Republicans are now called now ? The term keeps getting thrown around so much, it's is starting to be laughable...and lose any kind of effect.

It will be interesting to see what the Democrats run on, now that the abortion thing is done. What boogeyman will they create next ?

Old 11-09-2022, 06:50 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Quote:
It had nothing to do with that and everything to do with abortion.
Yes, the proposal to add reproductive rights to the state constitution may have caused people in Michigan more incentive to vote this election. The rule of thumb is that large voter turnouts favor the Democrats while smaller turnouts favor the Republicans. I'm curious as to the Detroit turnout - I hear that it was down this year. Traditionally, Detroit voter turnout is the bell weather to state elections.

Quote:
And the fact that this state isn't suffering as much as the rest of the country.
Uh, wow.

"[Michigan] isn't suffering as much as the rest of the country".

Michigan, the land of the one-state recession? The capital of the Rustbelt?

Did you get the same sense of "hey, wait now..." when you wrote that as I did when I read that?

Quote:
The balance of power has worked pretty well here...we will see what happens now though.
The state-wide elections went all Democratic. I blame MAGA picking non-competent Trump loyalists over competent Republican pragmatists in the primaries.

The state senate seems to be roughly tied. Don't know about the state house, but my guess is that it may be a split legislature.

The Michigan US House delegation seems to be swinging 7-6, possibly 8-5, if John James fails to hold on. The 10th Congressional District race much closer than I expected. I already stated in other threads that my vote would have gone to James if I lived in the Michigan 10th. I also expected James to win, but by 3% or 4% - right now it's about a 600 vote diffferece.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
So MAGA is now what Republicans are now called now ? The term keeps getting thrown around so much, it's is starting to be laughable...and lose any kind of effect.

It will be interesting to see what the Democrats run on, now that the abortion thing is done. What boogeyman will they create next ?
Republican leaders are hopeful that Trump lands himself in prison which would solve the MAGA problem for them. They can go back to the old "RINO" type republican as Trump calls them, and put the MAGA era behind them. Trump demanded candidates state the 2020 election was rigged that was a failure everyone knew it.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, the proposal to add reproductive rights to the state constitution may have caused people in Michigan more incentive to vote this election. The rule of thumb is that large voter turnouts favor the Democrats while smaller turnouts favor the Republicans. I'm curious as to the Detroit turnout - I hear that it was down this year. Traditionally, Detroit voter turnout is the bell weather to state elections.

Uh, wow.

"[Michigan] isn't suffering as much as the rest of the country".

Michigan, the land of the one-state recession? The capital of the Rustbelt?

Did you get the same sense of "hey, wait now..." when you wrote that as I did when I read that?

The state-wide elections went all Democratic. I blame MAGA picking non-competent Trump loyalists over competent Republican pragmatists in the primaries.

The state senate seems to be roughly tied. Don't know about the state house, but my guess is that it may be a split legislature.

The Michigan US House delegation seems to be swinging 7-6, possibly 8-5, if John James fails to hold on. The 10th Congressional District race much closer than I expected. I already stated in other threads that my vote would have gone to James if I lived in the Michigan 10th. I also expected James to win, but by 3% or 4% - right now it's about a 600 vote diffferece.
Not at all. Our job market has remained pretty solid, we don't have $7 a gallon gas, many of our commodities, while high, aren't as high as some places. Even with the interest rates high, the people I know in auto, home and luxury item sales are still doing well. I feel MI for the most part, is riding this out pretty well. The biggest complaint I hear is many business owners have more work than they can find people to do it.

As far as John James, I really hope he wins this time. I to don't live in that district, or he would have gotten my vote. I am pleased with the results of my district, so it isn't all bad.

Old 11-09-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Republican leaders are hopeful that Trump lands himself in prison which would solve the MAGA problem for them. They can go back to the old "RINO" type republican as Trump calls them, and put the MAGA era behind them. Trump demanded candidates state the 2020 election was rigged that was a failure everyone knew it.
Whatever that is, it won't ever be put behind them as long as the Democrats keep it front and center. It's a great tactic, and it works, as we can see from last night.

Once again, the Democratic party won the political game over the GOP.

I voted for Trump twice, and he's the furthest thing from my mind, except when I see he might run again. Which I don't want. I had zero issues when he had the reins, but his name is now tarnished. First from the Democrats, media, and social media, then from his own actions in 2020.

Old 11-09-2022, 07:09 AM

1,837 posts, read 675,831 times
Quote:
It is looker brighter for DeSantis, than Trump, at the moment.

If DeSantis decides to run for President, and wins the primary, I'm sure he will have to tweek everything Trump said so that it is his own, to make a new conservative movement of his own, not MAGA, per se.

Likely, DeSantis will easily beat Biden, Harris or Newsom. At that point, they won't be talking about rigged elections but more like landslide elections. I anyways don't equate MAGA candidates as just candidates that talk about rigged elections (even though it is one of the current things they talk about), since MAGA was used well before Trump lost.

Old 11-09-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Whatever that is, it won't ever be put behind them as long as the Democrats keep it front and center. It's a great tactic, and it works, as we can see from last night.

Once again, the Democratic party won the political game over the GOP.

I voted for Trump twice, and he's the furthest thing from my mind, except when I see he might run again. Which I don't want. I had zero issues when he had the reins, but his name is now tarnished. First from the Democrats, media, and social media, then from his own actions in 2020.
Your kidding right? Trump hand picked candidates for the Midterms in most of these statewide elections. Trump demanded they claim the 2020 election was rigged and some even went further like Doug Mastriano saying he would decertify vote tabulators if Trump lost in 2024, and hired GAB magazine CEO who the ADL has labeled a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections