Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 02:34 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The thing is that there were better Republican candidates ahead of her who failed to make the ballot, their campaign staffs screwed up the voter signature petitions that are required to be filed with the state of Michigan in order for said candidates to appear on the Republican primary ballot.

So Betsy DeVos stepped up, tapped Tudor Dixon on the shoulder (I'm guessing because Dixon once tried to sell Home-Schooling resources through her own web site). DeVos convinced Donald Trump to endorse Dixon over the remaining available candidates, and Dixon won the Michigan Republican governor's primary with about 40% of the vote against four other candidates.

So now the standard-bearer for the Michigan GOP is someone personally selected by a member of the billionaire DeVos family, who doesn't have any government OR management experience, but who looks good and acts well on camera.

That appears to be the low bar for the MAGA faction - superficial surface appeal. Compare and contrast Tudor Dixon with one Candice Miller. And if someone in this thread doesn't know who Candice Miller is, then that persons' opinions in this thread are completely useless.
I am willing (for the sake of argument only) to stipulate you are correct in your assessment of Dixon.

That being said, 100% she is better than Witless.

Witless banned gardening during covid. literally.
She claimed she shut down schools for 3 months.... literally

good grief.

Old 10-28-2022, 03:03 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
That's rich coming from you and any other Biden voter. Please don't tell us about a low bar for our candidates.

These other "better Republican candidates" would have been trashed, smeared and maligned by faithful DNC operatives, just like Tudor Dixon is being trashed, smeared, and maligned.

We see through the Democrat lies.
I see you blew right past my comment comparing Tudor Nixon to Candice Miller. That speaks volumes to anyone from Michigan with a functioning brain and a memory of the past 20 years.

I didn't vote for Joe Biden in 2020 as much as I voted against Donald Trump.

I didn't vote for Hilary Clinton in 2016 as much as I voted against Trump. And I voted for John Kasich in the Michigan GOP primaries. I would have gladly voted for Kasich over Grandma Nixon in the general election in 2016. I had been a reliable vote for the Republican presidential candidate since Ronald Reagan (excepting when I voted for Ross Perot) until Trump and MAGAism took over the Republican Party.

Michigan Republican Party leaders tried to recruit Candice Miller to run for governor this time around. But Ms. Miller is in her late 60's, has already had a long political career, and (I'm guessing) decided to sit out the clown show performance currently being put on by the Michigan GOP.

The thing is, Republicans had (and have) good candidates this election cycle.

Peter Meijer got primaried by the MAGA faction (with an assist from the Democrats). The guy who beat him believes that the 19th Amendment granting the vote to women should be repealed. No, I'm not kidding.

John James is running in the new Michigan 10th Congressional District. He had previously tried and failed to become a US Senator from Michigan, twice. Once in 2018 and again in 2020. I thought that it was too big of a leap for someone, to become a US Senator from the private sector. But he generated name recognition from both candidacies and now is going for the House of Representatives. He's a son of a self-made millionaire who graduated from West Point, who flew helicopters in Iraq, and who worked at his father's business, rising to become president of the company. I'm not in the Michigan 10th District, but if I was I'd be voting for John James, even though I disagree with some of his political stances. I think he just might be a good addition to the Michigan delegation, and I'd like to see what he does with his chance.

Old 10-29-2022, 10:28 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
David Bonior, 20 years ago, was the one major party governor candidate who was more than just a meh vote for me.

Whitmer and Dixon are different types of meh. Dixon may be another round of awful, but she can't be worse than Whitmer. She might make new and more interesting blunders.

Old 10-29-2022, 10:35 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
John James is running in the new Michigan 10th Congressional District. He had previously tried and failed to become a US Senator from Michigan, twice. Once in 2018 and again in 2020. I thought that it was too big of a leap for someone, to become a US Senator from the private sector. But he generated name recognition from both candidacies and now is going for the House of Representatives. He's a son of a self-made millionaire who graduated from West Point, who flew helicopters in Iraq, and who worked at his father's business, rising to become president of the company. I'm not in the Michigan 10th District, but if I was I'd be voting for John James, even though I disagree with some of his political stances. I think he just might be a good addition to the Michigan delegation, and I'd like to see what he does with his chance.
I live in the 10th, but John James doesn't. He's a long way out in Farmington. I can't disagree with his stances, because I never found any, except for being pro-Trump.

Old 10-29-2022, 10:46 AM

I've worked in both Farmington Hills and Rochester Hills/Troy. It's basically the same type of neighborhood - white bread upper middle class with a sprinkling of South Asian high tech immigrants.

John James might be called a carpet bagger by some, but not by me in this instance.

Added:

Just double-checked - the Michigan 10th Congressional District is Rochester Hills, Shelby Township, and the rest of Macomb County south of M-59. That last part was traditional Reagan Democrat country, not similar to Rochester Hills/Farmington Hills.

Last edited by djmilf; 10-29-2022 at 10:56 AM..

Old 10-29-2022, 11:01 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
"Whitmer is supported by 48.4 percent of voters, while Dixon has support from 47.9 percent. The bad news for Whitmer in this poll is that nearly 55 percent of respondents were Democrats, compared with just 37.1 percent of voters identifying as Republican."
RCP has already called the race a GOP pick-up.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...rojection.html

Old 10-29-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Yes, we know.

We also know that RCP selected specific polls to fit a narrative, and then assigned an adjustment factor to the average of the specially picked polls. That's how they got to a Tudor Nixon win.

Ever notice that one of the polls they picked was Trafalgar, that already adjusts for claimed anti-GOP response bias in its own polling, and that RCP tosses their adjustment on top of the Trafalgar adjustment? That's massaging numbers for the benefit of their readership.

We'll know whether RCP's guess is a lucky one sometime in November, but for right now RCP isn't using a valid methodology for their forecasting.

Old 10-29-2022, 05:24 PM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

According to 270 to win who use 7 forecasters they are giving the win to Whitmer.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:05 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
God willing.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:58 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am willing (for the sake of argument only) to stipulate you are correct in your assessment of Dixon.

That being said, 100% she is better than Witless.

Witless banned gardening during covid. literally.
She claimed she shut down schools for 3 months.... literally

good grief.
LMAO

No she didn't "ban gardening".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections