Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 05:34 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Witless Whitmer POed a lot of people during COVID. She was one of the governors that placed COVID patients in nursing homes with the most vulnerable members of society. She also created all sorts of nonsensical rules during COVID. Couldn't buy certain seeds at Home Depot, because COVID??? I'm not a boater, but she placed restrictions on boating during COVID that POed a lot of people, because COVID lives in the water or something??? Boating is very popular here among republicans and democrats alike. Some of her policies POed both camps.
Whitmer ordered the garden centers in stores like Home Depot to shut down so as to limit the number of people going to Home Depot. Places like Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards were allowed to be kept open so that people who need supplies for home repair could get them, not so people could plant flower gardens. I had to go to Home Depot a few times in Spring 2020 and there was always a limit to the number of people allowed in the store and a line with a 30 minute wait to get in.

Regarding boating - it was because Michigan couldn't field enough police and other officials to patrol the waterways. Let's see, every one's on furlough from their jobs, free money from the feds...hey, let's go get a case of beer, climb into our boat, get drunk and go bombing around Lake St Clair this weekend! The ban was on power boats and, indirectly, drunken power boaters.

I live in Michigan. I made it through the COVID lockdown just fine.

Old 10-26-2022, 05:36 AM

610 posts, read 264,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I live in Michigan. I find it amazing how terrible it was supposed to have been for me back in 2020, what with all the restaurants, bars, and garden centers closed.

The thing about Governor Whitmer "weaponizing Covid" - Ohio Governor Mike DeWine took the same measures in his state as Governor Whitmer did in Michigan, yet no one knocks him for it.

In early 2020, Michigan was one of the first states that was hit hard by COVID. No one new much about it, and governors like Whitmer and DeWine both took strong action to attempt to prevent it from spreading.
Correct about Ohio, but the restrictions there were never as extreme and were much shorter in duration. They did not do any shutdowns in the November 2020-February 2021 timeframe like we did either.

That being said, I still expect Whitmer to be re-elected.

Old 10-26-2022, 05:45 AM

13,281 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Debate

Old 10-26-2022, 07:17 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
They aren't. The new ad is only replacing another one already running.
right. kell490 was incorrect.

Old 10-26-2022, 09:51 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
right. kell490 was incorrect.
Somewhat semantics. Pulling funding isn't the best terminology, but the current ads that are running appear to be for funds already allotted to this race (which might be too late to pull anyway), at this point no additional spending from the RGA is on the horizon.

Old 10-26-2022, 10:03 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Quote:
I live in Michigan. I find it amazing how terrible it was supposed to have been for me back in 2020, what with all the restaurants, bars, and garden centers closed.

The thing about Governor Whitmer "weaponizing Covid" - Ohio Governor Mike DeWine took the same measures in his state as Governor Whitmer did in Michigan, yet no one knocks him for it.

In early 2020, Michigan was one of the first states that was hit hard by COVID. No one new much about it, and governors like Whitmer and DeWine both took strong action to attempt to prevent it from spreading.
Whitmer was a power hungry tyrant who used Covid as an excuse to control her constituents. She actually got off on closing down schools and businesses. She fully understood that her policies were putting elderly nursing home residents in danger but continued to do so anyway.

Whitmer thought that she had seized control and there was no turning back for the citizens in her state. She didn't care a bit about her constituents this whole thing was a corrupt power grab on her part.

Look at all of the damage she has done to her state. She made the mistake of thinking that the other states would follow suit and do the same thing. Thank God that didn't happen.

DeWine was bad but his policies were way less extreme than Whitmer's were.

Old 10-26-2022, 10:08 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
I only skimmed the article, but it's worth a more thorough read.

It's a commentary about Nate Silver, 538, and the Democratic bias in the statistical methods employed by 538. It's not just a one-off "Nate Silver Bad" article - it goes into great detail to make its case.

It does briefly mention Trafalgar Group at the end, and points out that Trafalgar is projecting much tighter races than 538. I did read another article last night about Robert Cahaly, former political consultant for the GOP and founder of the Trafalgar Group. Cahaly's "special sauce" is that he believes in a "shy voter" effect, wherein some Trump supporters would be reluctant to admit that they were voting for Donald Trump; Cahaly adjusts his polling to account for this effect. This election cycle Cahaly is also accounting for the "submerged voter" - he believes that a good number of Trump voters now aren't even participating in polling, afraid that they'll be tracked by the federal government for expressing their political beliefs.
Cahaly believes there's a social desirability factor is in play.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/64170674-post32.html

Now, I've not been asked to participate in a political poll but I rarely discuss politics off-line. Say you support Trump for example and the conversation might move beyond a political disagreement into something more ugly.

Trump wasn't supposed to win in 2016 and the USSC isn't supposed to be tilted 6-3 to the right. A lot of people on the left are very pissed off. We see a big red wave this Nov and I expect Trump will run in 2024. I can only imagine how ugly that's going to get.

Anyway we'll know just how accurate Cahaly's secret sauce is next month. He's been saying throughout the year battleground states are tighter than 538 was showing,

Old 10-28-2022, 11:12 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
Correct about Ohio, but the restrictions there were never as extreme and were much shorter in duration. They did not do any shutdowns in the November 2020-February 2021 timeframe like we did either.

That being said, I still expect Whitmer to be re-elected.
Yep, in other words, Ohio admitted its mistake (DeWine, being a savvy politician, retained an air of seriousness about the pandemic, but his actions spoke to the truth that pandemic restrictions are useless).

The other takeaway here -- probably the most important one -- is Whitmer clearly would do it all over again, whereas DeWine wouldn't.

I agree Whitmer is still the favorite in MI and I even have a small financial position on her winning (though I do believe there's a decent chance of a true red wave, in which case I would sell off at the first sign).

Old 10-28-2022, 11:41 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Polls don't measure voter enthusiasm, which reflects voter turnout. So, which political party has the edge in voter enthusiasm?

Republicans have a +9% edge on voter enthusiasm nationally, and if that is also true for Michigan, Whitmer will lose:

https://www.uspresidentialelectionne...m-by-9-points/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections