Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2022, 10:06 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that happened on this thread? refresh our memories pls.
Your misinterpretation of another poster's statement is duly noted.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:47 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Besides launching Amway onto the world, they are key in gutting public education in Michigan.

The first is bad enough: they became billionaires by heading up a pyramid scheme.
They are (especially Dick and Betsy) big proponents of gutting state funding and vouchers without oversight.

Over the last 20 years, higher ed state funding in Michigan has dropped by 50% per student, directly leading to the explosion in costs.
Vouchers without oversight killed off a few almost dead Detroit schools leaving kids without a school to go to.
I have no issue with families having choices, when it comes to schools. All schools, public, private, or charter should have oversight, though.

Our public school system has definitely shown it isn't what it used to be, and throwing money at the problem isn't helping, look at Detroit Public Schools for an example. And, in fact, in Detroit, Charter schools have proven to outperform public ones.

As far as Amway, meh...it matters little to me, there are plenty of "pyramid" schemes out there.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:02 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Let me throw a thought out at you - Governor Candice Miller. I would have voted for her over Whitmer in a heartbeat.

As for Tudor Nixon - she's attractive, photogenic, and comfortable in front of a camera. That's the sum of her positive attributes.

She has no actual political platform except for what other people are handing her to say. For example, her plan to discontinue the state income tax has no details about how said revenue loss is to be handled - because no one's told her yet what that plan is to be.

On top of that, Tudor Nixon seems to be a person who simply echoes current MAGA folklore. Examples provide upon request.

I'll vote for an intelligent conservative...the Michigan GOP has failed to deliver such candidates at the state level this year.

DeVos money is AmWay money. Compare and contrast with the Meijer family.
I like Candice Miller. She would have gotten my vote as well. And we can just disagree on Dixon. What is "MAGA" folklore by the way ? I will say though, her getting the support of Trump definitely hurt her. Whitmer is going to win anyway, so there isn't much to worry about with Dixon.

As far as the elite wealthy like the DeVos and Meijer families, I don't even give them a second thought, other than I hope they are enjoying their wealth.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:06 AM

6,035 posts, read 2,849,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
New poll today shows Whitmer +6
And, a new poll that has the race statistically tied, with Ms. Dixon leading by .2 percentage points.: https://amgreatness.com/2022/10/31/i...ing-for-biden/

Old 11-01-2022, 11:24 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That just goes to show how insane those on the Left are.
No.

It does show that the poster you quoted enjoys employing logical fallacies, however.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
And, a new poll that has the race statistically tied, with Ms. Dixon leading by .2 percentage points.: https://amgreatness.com/2022/10/31/i...ing-for-biden/
Depends on which poll you want to believe.

The local conservative paper along with a local TV station commissioned their own poll that shows a different story - Whitmer 51.7% to Dixon 43.1%.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/decis...fore-election/

I'd link the Detroit News article about the poll, but it's behind a paywall.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
What is "MAGA" folklore by the way ?
MAGA folklore:

A belief that the 2020 election was stolen from Donald Trump.

A claim that Democrats want a drag queen are in every school.

An insistence that local teachers are involved in a nefarious plot to groom school children into pedophilia targets.

Tudor Nixon is all in on at least two of the above. Need I go on?

Two more things that Tudor Nixon has directly opined upon.

A 13 year old girl, raped by her uncle, should be forced to carry a resultant pregnancy to term.

The Democratic Party is trying to destroy the United States in revenge for having lost the Civil War.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Depends on which poll you want to believe.

The local conservative paper along with a local TV station commissioned their own poll that shows a different story - Whitmer 51.7% to Dixon 43.1%.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/decis...fore-election/

I'd link the Detroit News article about the poll, but it's behind a paywall.
Anyone can find a poll that fits their desired outcome, and that is especially true in this race. Polling seems to be all over the place. Part of me thinks there could be a strong backlash that pulls out a slight victory for Ms. Dixon. And, another part of me thinks Governor Whitmer will win reelection by two or three percentage points. I am 50/50 on this race.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Anyone can find a poll that fits their desired outcome, and that is especially true in this race. Polling seems to be all over the place. Part of me thinks there could be a strong backlash that pulls out a slight victory for Ms. Dixon. And, another part of me thinks Governor Whitmer will win reelection by two or three percentage points. I am 50/50 on this race.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

That's exactly my response upon reading the opening phrase of your post!

OF COURSE anyone can find a poll that fits their desired outcome - that was the point of my response to your linked poll!

Just out of curiosity, how well do you know Michigan? Not trying to score a point, but other posters who are known to be from Michigan and who run conservative seem to be a little more in tune with the current elections.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

That's exactly my response upon reading the opening phrase of your post!

OF COURSE anyone can find a poll that fits their desired outcome - that was the point of my response to your linked poll!
I only linked that poll because that poster, conveniently, did not link it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf
Just out of curiosity, how well do you know Michigan? Not trying to score a point, but other posters who are known to be from Michigan and who run conservative seem to be a little more in tune with the current elections.
Michigan has changed. It is not the same state, politically, that it was even ten years ago. Rural Michigan is much more favorable for the Republican Party, now. The suburbs, think Kalamazoo, Kent, Muskegon, and Oakland Counties, have become more favorable for the Democratic Party, as well.

However, national polling indicates the suburbs are swinging back towards the Republican Party. If Ms. Dixon runs up the margins of rural Michigan, and does much better in the suburbs, then she has the potential to win the race. If Governor Whitmer does not lose much support in the suburbs, then she will win reelection. Should Governor Whitmer prevail, she will not win by ten percentage points, like she did in 2018. No matter what, Governor Whitmer will lose rural support.

Now, if you want to talk about Michigan House races, I believe Mr. Gibbs will win the Third Congressional District, and that Representatives Kildee and Slotkin will lose reelection. An overperformance of Ms. Dixon will have down-ballot implications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections