Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 08:24 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,046,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Ever heard of a "copy machine"? They were invented and became commonplace about 60+ years ago. Amazing little devils. You should check them out someday.
Not possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 10:30 PM

13,243 posts, read 7,290,839 times
Quote:
I hope that all those voters who vote by absentee ballot with a unique identification number on the ballot realize that they are NOT voting anonymously. Whoever has access to the records of who was assigned what number ballot will be able to identify exactly how that voter voted on each race and each issue.

Perhaps this is the freedom that we must give up in order to be sure that all ballots are legal. If this system were properly run, then it would certainly cut down on the number of illegal ballots, but it sacrifices the concept of a "secret ballot" for each citizen and therefore is subject to abuse.

Suppose that your boss was a close friend of an election worker and wanted to know how his employees were voting. So your boss pays the election worker to provide that information to him. If your boss doesn't approve of how YOU voted, then you could be fired for exercising your right to vote for the candidate of your choice. That wouldn't be the "official" reason for your firing, but you could find yourself out of a job regardless.

There's really nothing new under the sun (as the expression goes). This crap has been going on for well over 100 years in one form or another. If you make each ballot directly traceable to a specific voter, then you're making each voter potentially vulnerable for voting a certain way. Of course, some voters would be more vulnerable than others depending upon their situation.
I believe the secret ballot goes back to Jim Crow days where you had corrupt local governments running elections.

I'm assuming you vote in person on election day when you vote what you will see is they don't go looking for a ballot next to your name they pull it from a big stack of identical ballots after they match your ID card. This is no different then what happens when you mail it in they match the signature on the envelope with your driver's license signature. This process is monitored by poll watchers from each party one D and one R. They can request a ballot be pulled and manually verified. I have only been called one time to be verified took 3 minutes and my ballot was accepted.

These ballots are mass produced states where they want to track a ballot those have a spot where you sign the ballot itself is the only way it could be done. It's impossible to print ballot for every voter.

Last edited by kell490; 10-28-2022 at 11:09 PM..

Old 10-29-2022, 05:25 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
I hope that all those voters who vote by absentee ballot with a unique identification number on the ballot realize that they are NOT voting anonymously...
Yes, they are. Learn the freakin' process.

Old 10-29-2022, 11:06 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
A temporary restraining order is being sought after a federal lawsuit was filed yesterday.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/25/polit...der/index.html
The good news is the District Court expedited the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Haven't read it all yet but:

After considering the Motion, legal authorities, record evidence, and arguments of counsel,
the Court concludes that it cannot grant the requested relief.

Now it will be appealed to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
For anyone who is interested in reading the District Case Opinion —- here it is. 14 pages.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/re...14473.32.0.pdf

Bottom line - the Court ruled there is zero evidence of Threats.

In other Election News in Arizona - the Secretary of State has issued an order that Hand Counted Ballots is illegal ( despite what State Law says). She said all Ballots must be counted by Dominion Machines.

Seems a bit odd to me that a Candidate for Governor of Arizona, one who refuses to Debate her Republican Opponent is the person ultimately in charge of the Election Results.

Old 10-29-2022, 04:56 PM

13,243 posts, read 7,290,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The good news is the District Court expedited the case.

For anyone who is interested in reading the District Case Opinion —- here it is. 14 pages.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/re...14473.32.0.pdf

Bottom line - the Court ruled there is zero evidence of Threats.

In other Election News in Arizona - the Secretary of State has issued an order that Hand Counted Ballots is illegal ( despite what State Law says). She said all Ballots must be counted by Dominion Machines.

Seems a bit odd to me that a Candidate for Governor of Arizona, one who refuses to Debate her Republican Opponent is the person ultimately in charge of the Election Results.
AG's office opinion on hand counting is going to make it difficult to use that method. They can only hand count 5 races rest has to be machine counted.

Old 10-29-2022, 05:32 PM

284 posts, read 1,020,331 times
Quote:
A temporary restraining order is being sought after a federal lawsuit was filed yesterday.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/25/polit...der/index.html

Judge denies request for temporary restraining order in Arizona voter intimidation case
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/28/polit...uit/index.html

Old 10-29-2022, 07:23 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
I got a final notice my ballot has been received by the Board of Elections from the USPS, verified, and all is well. That closes out Election 2022 for me. Easy peasy.

Old 10-30-2022, 10:11 AM

82 posts, read 40,691 times
Don't commit election/voter fraud, and you have nothing to worry about

Old 10-30-2022, 11:24 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,927,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I love how that report says the "Secretary of State's Office" without once mentioning who she is.

No mention on exactly what laws are being broken.

If they are violating law, then start the criminal investigation.
It may be legal, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing. I mean, what possible reason could there be to have armed individuals standing near a polling place. What are they guarding against? What do they think is going to happen that they need to be heavily armed? The only possible outcome is to dissuade people from voting, ehich in NOT a good thing.

Old 10-30-2022, 04:03 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,311,615 times
Quote:
All that you just said would not be any different if everyone voted in person, and was hand counted. Those ballots would be taken to a room where someone could inject their own ballots. Ballot counting rooms are high security areas with video cameras, and party observers. The more common fraud is someone mailing in a ballot for their dead parent which 90% of those cases in 2020 turned out to be Trump supporters.

I have no clue where Lottamoxie resides all I can say is ballots are identical in Arizona there is nothing on the ballot itself that identifies the voter. If I had to guess most states the ballot is identical do you realize how much cost it would be to print a single one off ballot for every single voter. According to this 44 states have constitutional provision for casting ballots in secret.
Some states have a numbered stub that is removed by the precinct worker before the ballot is given to the vote counters. The stub's number is not recorded in a way that might associate with a voter.
It's an inventory kind of thing to assure that the ballots are the genuine ones printed for that precinct, that all ballots are accounted for, and things like that.
It's also one of those things that different states do differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections