Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 12:36 PM

6,005 posts, read 3,739,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I can only speak for the system here in Arizona, but a ballot has to be inside an envelope which is linked to the voter. They won't accept ballots which are not inside the envelope which is linked to the voter. There is no concern with someone dropping 100s of ballots in a drop box. It's obvious to me you have no idea how mail in voting works. This is the main problem with the ignorance out there someone makes wild claims of drop box stuffing people think you can stuff ballots in a box without any security controls.

Here in Arizona our mail in system has been debated by republicans, and democrats for years way before Trump came along and this is the system they worked out. When covid happened we never changed our system it was the same for years. The very same republicans who approved the system before Trump came along made wild claims that Arizona early voting system was full of fraud after Trump lost. It was like their minds were wiped clean of their entire history and now they act like they were not involved in our voting system. What did they do nothing but make themselves look like fools this is why Karen Fann is no longer around.

Arizona state constitution requires ballots to be casted in secret which means a ballot cannot be linked back to the voter it's been that way since 1930.
Clearly, you didn't read nor understand what I wrote above. At some point in time, the ballot is removed from the tracking envelope and then placed in some container or machine for counting. It's at this point where illegal ballots could be introduced into the system by poll workers (or people masquerading as poll workers).

Additionally, there is the possibility of tampering with the vote counting machines. This could be done on some machines remotely. The "thief" wouldn't even have to physically get into the vote counting building. It could all be done electronically... just as I'm posting this message on YOUR computer monitor even though I've never been in your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I can only speak for the system here in Arizona, but a ballot has to be inside an envelope which is linked to the voter. They won't accept ballots which are not inside the envelope which is linked to the voter. There is no concern with someone dropping 100s of ballots in a drop box. It's obvious to me you have no idea how mail in voting works. This is the main problem with the ignorance out there someone makes wild claims of drop box stuffing people think you can stuff ballots in a box without any security controls.

Here in Arizona our mail in system has been debated by republicans, and democrats for years way before Trump came along and this is the system they worked out. When covid happened we never changed our system it was the same for years. The very same republicans who approved the system before Trump came along made wild claims that Arizona early voting system was full of fraud after Trump lost. It was like their minds were wiped clean of their entire history and now they act like they were not involved in our voting system. What did they do nothing but make themselves look like fools this is why Karen Fann is no longer around.

Arizona state constitution requires ballots to be casted in secret which means a ballot cannot be linked back to the voter it's been that way since 1930.
Then "lottamoxie" must be incorrect because he/she said that every ballot had an identifying number on it. Who am I to believe, you or "lottamoxie"?

Old 10-28-2022, 12:45 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
While that system appears to be a good one AS FAR AS IT GOES, it is not a COMPLETELY secure system because the ballot itself (as far as I know) has no unique identifying marks.

So, once all the mail-in ballots have been tracked at every step of the way, what is to prevent someone from dumping a bunch of ILLEGAL ballots into the boxes/containers at the vote counting centers after the ballots have been removed from their tracking envelopes? It is my understanding that this is what happened during the 2020 general election.

There is no way (as far as I know) to distinguish legal ballots from illegal ballots without introducing some kind of tracking system on the ballot itself which would mean that a person's vote would no longer be confidential.
How would they get into the "vote counting centers?" Don't your local election offices and voting locations have any security? Remember, all voting locations are locally run by your town or county. Why don't you find out what your own local election office does in regards to security before you go accusing some other location of wrong doing.

Old 10-28-2022, 12:51 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,768 times
Quote:
Where would they get pictures of you "stuffing a ballot box"? Simply taking a picture of you and your car is NOT proof that you stuffed a ballot box. LOGIC 101.
No, of course it's not proof of wrong-doing, but since when is proof necessary to set off an irrational person? A false accusation associated with an identifiable photo of a car is an invitation to trouble. As I wrote earlier, I have a very close friend who is an elected official. You should hear the violent threats she receives on her phone! She puts on a brave face, but it rattles her. I worry about her safety all the time. People are crazy. They really are.

Old 10-28-2022, 01:30 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Quote:
Then "lottamoxie" must be incorrect because he/she said that every ballot had an identifying number on it. Who am I to believe, you or "lottamoxie"?
Every state determines their own process. It's 50 states, 50 processes, not one amorphous blob.

State election boards have to be able to track their ballots -- that's part of the security of making sure 1 person gets one ballot and 1 person can't vote 10 different times. Doesn't mean random people have access to the info that's held by the Board of Elections.

My identity was checked by the notary public from my driver's license and confirmed, with her signature & stamp on the ballot return envelope. 1 verified person voting with 1 ballot assigned to them by the state. I know no one stole my ballot and I know where it is, physically, as of the most recent update. The state can be assured my ballot is authentic, was witnessed properly, and my signature is authentic as well. My job as a voter is now complete for this election.

You really do not understand this subject and don't appear inclined to learn. Paranoia doesn't make all the whatabouts true.

Last edited by lottamoxie; 10-28-2022 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-28-2022, 01:44 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,768 times
Quote:
In my state, every ballot has an identifying number on it. I am looking at my ballot and my husband's ballot right now, and we are one digit apart. The envelopes in which we will seal our ballots are pre-printed with our names, and we will sign and date the envelopes before dropping them into a ballot box. Each of our signatures is checked upon receipt against our driver's license. I know this is the case because my son's ballot has been rejected twice for a signature mismatch, and he was contacted by letter to prove his ballot a few days after election day each time.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:20 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:

As I said, you simply don't understand the process.

Everything looks suspicious when you don't know how anything works.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:59 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,014 times
Haven't read it all yet but:

After considering the Motion, legal authorities, record evidence, and arguments of counsel,
the Court concludes that it cannot grant the requested relief.

Now it will be appealed to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Last edited by Burning Madolf; 10-28-2022 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-28-2022, 07:44 PM

13,281 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Quote:
Clearly, you didn't read nor understand what I wrote above. At some point in time, the ballot is removed from the tracking envelope and then placed in some container or machine for counting. It's at this point where illegal ballots could be introduced into the system by poll workers (or people masquerading as poll workers).

Additionally, there is the possibility of tampering with the vote counting machines. This could be done on some machines remotely. The "thief" wouldn't even have to physically get into the vote counting building. It could all be done electronically... just as I'm posting this message on YOUR computer monitor even though I've never been in your house.
All that you just said would not be any different if everyone voted in person, and was hand counted. Those ballots would be taken to a room where someone could inject their own ballots. Ballot counting rooms are high security areas with video cameras, and party observers. The more common fraud is someone mailing in a ballot for their dead parent which 90% of those cases in 2020 turned out to be Trump supporters.

Quote:

I have no clue where Lottamoxie resides all I can say is ballots are identical in Arizona there is nothing on the ballot itself that identifies the voter. If I had to guess most states the ballot is identical do you realize how much cost it would be to print a single one off ballot for every single voter. According to this 44 states have constitutional provision for casting ballots in secret.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:17 PM

I hope that all those voters who vote by absentee ballot with a unique identification number on the ballot realize that they are NOT voting anonymously. Whoever has access to the records of who was assigned what number ballot will be able to identify exactly how that voter voted on each race and each issue.

Perhaps this is the freedom that we must give up in order to be sure that all ballots are legal. If this system were properly run, then it would certainly cut down on the number of illegal ballots, but it sacrifices the concept of a "secret ballot" for each citizen and therefore is subject to abuse.

Suppose that your boss was a close friend of an election worker and wanted to know how his employees were voting. So your boss pays the election worker to provide that information to him. If your boss doesn't approve of how YOU voted, then you could be fired for exercising your right to vote for the candidate of your choice. That wouldn't be the "official" reason for your firing, but you could find yourself out of a job regardless.

There's really nothing new under the sun (as the expression goes). This crap has been going on for well over 100 years in one form or another. If you make each ballot directly traceable to a specific voter, then you're making each voter potentially vulnerable for voting a certain way. Of course, some voters would be more vulnerable than others depending upon their situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections