Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:34 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Have you ever had a job? Moved out from your parent's house? Paid rent or a mortgage? Supported a family? Paid income tax?
Yes on everything, but having a family. I am quite happily single for now and guess what I still voted for Obama.

What conservatives do not get is that young people are not stupid and the more you call us stupid the less we will vote for you. What if anything did the Republicans offer young people this year. Obama offered student loan reform, better environmental stewardship, and a bigger tax cut for younger people who tend to make less because they have not yet built up seniority in the work place. With young voters conservatives got back exactly what they invested...next to nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 08:39 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Do you realize no one is forced to join the military? It's been a "volunteer" military in that no one has been drafted in many many years.

Don't worry, now with the election results, enlistments are way way down and reenlistments are also way down. Obama doesn't believe in having a much of a military.
I see you didn't read my reply to your earlier post.
Again, fascinating that something that happened a mere 5 days ago could have such a great impact in so short a time.
Do you have evidence to back up your claim that enlistments and reenlistments are down since Tuesday? Love to see them.
Also, President-elect Obama has stated repeatedly that he wants to GROW the military. Apparently, you don't watch the news either.

"Active Duty Recruiting Fiscal 2008. All services met or exceeded their recruiting goals for fiscal 2008.

Active Duty Retention. Army and Navy exceeded their fiscal 2008 targets.

Reserve Forces Accessions Fiscal 2007. All six reserve components met or exceeded their accession goals for fiscal 2008.

Reserve Attrition. Losses in all reserve components remain within acceptable limits. (Note: This indicator lags by one month)"

DoD Announces Recruiting And Retention Numbers For Fiscal 2008

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/Defen...heet_FINAL.pdf

Old 11-08-2008, 08:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
And do you know how hard they pushed for those bank bailouts?
At the request of the Republican president and financial secretaries.

Quote:
You need to start reading the newspaper. More Republicans voted against the bailout of the bank CEO's than democrats.
Yeah, 'cause they thought it would get them votes. Oops.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do". They need to look beyond the gay issue and their anger at the religious right, and think about issues like taxes, jobs, energy, and national security that will affect them. Obama's plan will raise taxes on people making as low as $42,000/yr, kill jobs as small businesses will go under, he is against clean coal and nuclear, increase the already monstrous national budget, and is weak on national security almost to the point he could be considered a terrorist sympathizer. Yet nearly 8 out of 10 young people are lining up like sheep to vote for him. This isn't elementary school where everyone is a winner or little league soccer where everybody gets the same trophy so nobody's "feelings are hurt". This is the real world, and this generation needs to step into it.
What you hideous conservatives do not realize. Many people just do not like what the Republicans have done to the country. You are all in denial. So you go back to your talk-radio hell you put yourselves in 10hrs a day, 7days a week, and make blanket statements that the only reason people support Obama is because he's a 'rock-star', a 'celebrity', he only says vague things to fool everybody into thinking everything will be fine, etc. etc.

That's not the case at all.
1. The religious right is a non-issue, they are a joke. 1/2 their 'leadership' has been involved in financial/fundraising scandels, gay sex/drug scandels, etc. Nobody cares what those weirdos want, they would have been only a little less irrelevant under McCain.
2. You aren't able to even get the first thing correct about his PROPOSED tax policies.
3. Weak on national security? He offered much better solutions than McCain ever did. He faced McCain head-on over national security and the majority of America was smart enough to realize McCain's continued Bush Doctrine policies would be a disaster.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:01 PM

143 posts, read 415,343 times
Although a young person myself and educated on the issues, I find that most of my peers are more like the blind sheep in this video than they want to admit.

Breitbart.tv » ‘Howard Stern Show’ Quizzes Obama Supporters in Harlem on Candidate Policies

Old 11-10-2008, 07:11 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do". They need to look beyond the gay issue and their anger at the religious right, and think about issues like taxes, jobs, energy, and national security that will affect them. Obama's plan will raise taxes on people making as low as $42,000/yr, kill jobs as small businesses will go under, he is against clean coal and nuclear, increase the already monstrous national budget, and is weak on national security almost to the point he could be considered a terrorist sympathizer. Yet nearly 8 out of 10 young people are lining up like sheep to vote for him. This isn't elementary school where everyone is a winner or little league soccer where everybody gets the same trophy so nobody's "feelings are hurt". This is the real world, and this generation needs to step into it.
Not all young people...I have 4 grandchildren, 18, 19 and 20 who voted for McCain/Palin!!! God bless 'em!!! I'm a very proud grandma!!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 PM

322 posts, read 748,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
Not all young people...I have 4 grandchildren, 18, 19 and 20 who voted for McCain/Palin!!! God bless 'em!!! I'm a very proud grandma!!
You know there is nothing wrong about being either liberal or conservative. I hope you would have been just as proud of them if they had voted Obama.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
You know there is nothing wrong about being either liberal or conservative. I hope you would have been just as proud of them if they had voted Obama.
I'm always proud of them, not matter what...but, I'd have been a bit disappointed if they had voted for Obama!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:58 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
This generation is better educated and enlightened than any before it, so I think we'll decide for ourselves, old timers.
You're wrong. The science and math standards of this current generation as a whole is LOWER than it was 20 years ago. Why do you think people continue to talk about our education crisis? It sure isn't because students as a whole are at the top of the heap in this country.. it's an education crisis for a reason.. we've been regressing for years.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:19 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
......wow, this thread is still going.......

Tell ya what, in order to settle this once and for all, let's just have an all out war between the old and the young and whoever's still standing can say whatever and the other side has to shut up.

That's sounds good to me......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections