Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yes on everything, but having a family. I am quite happily single for now and guess what I still voted for Obama.

What conservatives do not get is that young people are not stupid and the more you call us stupid the less we will vote for you. What if anything did the Republicans offer young people this year. Obama offered student loan reform, better environmental stewardship, and a bigger tax cut for younger people who tend to make less because they have not yet built up seniority in the work place. With young voters conservatives got back exactly what they invested...next to nothing.
The young coming up after you will be far more conservative. Believe me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
At the request of the Republican president and financial secretaries.

Yeah, 'cause they thought it would get them votes. Oops.
Just wait. People will turn against Pelosi, Frank and all the democrats including Obama when they find that those bailouts didn't work. There will be even more attempts to fix the economy in that very foolish way. Bush is no Conservative BTW. He's a globalist just like Clinton and Obama.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Just wait. People will turn against Pelosi, Frank and all the democrats including Obama when they find that those bailouts didn't work. There will be even more attempts to fix the economy in that very foolish way. Bush is no Conservative BTW. He's a globalist just like Clinton and Obama.
It didn't take long to see that the bailout, as it was originally fashioned, doesn't work. They're not backtracking and "redesigning" the bank bailout.

AIG bailout - First one, wasn't enough. Second one, also not enough. Now they're asking for a third one. Thankfully, finally there are sone constraints put on salaries and bonuses.

In line for their piece of the American pie: American Auto industry.
Who's next?

The Dems are going to put all the unemployed union people into road work projects, except that there are no controls on who gets how much money. Interesting to note that the funds are going to states that Obama carried. Interesting, too, that it's the unemployed union people who will be put to work. What about the unemployed American people?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
I think a lot of young people tend to lean democratic b/c they have an idealistic view of doing things "for the greater good". Not only that, they haven't received a "real" paycheck yet, and have yet to experience the horror of seeing what you earn vs. what you take home.
I don't know who you are referring to. All but the very youngest of them have graduated from high school; the majority have worked/are working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Most young people want to fit in, especially if they have friends. So if their friends are saying something like "Obama is cool, he's all over the media and could be the first black president" etc, it might indirectly make young people follow the crowd and vote for him. It takes guts to stand on your own and do everything your own way.
It sure does. I am the only one who voted for Obama in my office. It was hard to listen to the Obama-bashing on a daily basis.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The young coming up after you will be far more conservative. Believe me.

Based on what - pie in the sky wishful thinking?

The Republicans have done virtually nothing to help them, and a lot to hurt them (cut aid to colleges thereby passing costs on to students and their families, slashed the student loan program, put them into an economic bind so they either volunteer for the military or forego college, continuously raised the social security age for them yet left it alone for other retirees and near retirees).

It will take a heck of a lot more than empty predictions, or proof by repeated assertion tactics, to get the younger generations to vote Republican...

Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
Democrat voters...
Republican voters...
Conservative voters...
Liberal voters...

..... How about just being voters? Stop putting lables on yourselves......
You don't know what's best for this country just as much as I don't, so stop .... PLEASE?

Old 11-14-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Democrat voters...
Republican voters...
Conservative voters...
Liberal voters...

..... How about just being voters? Stop putting lables on yourselves......
You don't know what's best for this country just as much as I don't, so stop .... PLEASE?

You know what? Washington doesn't know what's best for the country either.
(They do seem to kow what's best for them, though.)

Old 11-14-2008, 10:07 AM

73 posts, read 158,414 times
Typically, a neocon position. If you don't vote their way...then you are nuts.

I have often found those who project their values or status upon someone else is so afflicted.

Who is morbid due to the election outcome?

If you do not like it LEAVE!!!! I will help you pack.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do". They need to look beyond the gay issue and their anger at the religious right, and think about issues like taxes, jobs, energy, and national security that will affect them. Obama's plan will raise taxes on people making as low as $42,000/yr, kill jobs as small businesses will go under, he is against clean coal and nuclear, increase the already monstrous national budget, and is weak on national security almost to the point he could be considered a terrorist sympathizer. Yet nearly 8 out of 10 young people are lining up like sheep to vote for him. This isn't elementary school where everyone is a winner or little league soccer where everybody gets the same trophy so nobody's "feelings are hurt". This is the real world, and this generation needs to step into it.
What "old" people have managed to do:

1. Put young people into war (that wasn't justified)
2. Rape the economy
3. Do nothing about Medicare
4. Do nothing about Social Security (except complain that they worked a total of 10 years but want benefits for 20)
5. Be A+ fear mongers
6. Sell out the country to China

Way to go old people... you generally suck.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Way to go old people... you generally suck.
If you live long enough, you'll get there too. And, the next generation may well be telling you then that you generally suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections