Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 12:00 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times

Advertisements

Russia (unlikely), Belarus or maybe even EU countries calling for an end to austerity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 12:08 PM

847 posts, read 1,180,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The EU has urged both the opposition and government to stop the violence, and try to take it to the negotiating table. But on the same time the EU has protested against the new undemocratic laws.
They didn't condemn the murder of the policeman. They condemn only government.

I think people in France, Italy and Germany must have more information about Bandera and nationalism. EuroNews show his portrait, but didn't explain whose portrait it is. They show a guy, reading a newspaper named after him, but didn't translated and explained. Ok, history is a complex thing. Let Ukrainians, who admire Bandera to speak. They have this right. But why they hide this? Explain, who was Bandera, what people in Poland think about him, what people in Israel think about Ukraine, what people in different regions of Ukraine think about their history.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:09 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,593,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So many are obtuse to the fact that the country has elections, it is not protesting a dictatorship, and that if people do not like what the gov is doing, they are free to vote them out during the next elections. But no, the protesters rather circumvent democracy and impose undemocratic methods to get what they want. Plus, seems no one there understands anything about the economic situation, they just scream "EU", not at all wanting to address the issues involved.
Had it happened in USA (or Europe), protests like these would be dispersed brutally and swiftly, democratic police states make sure that any threat to the current order is suppressed early using disproportionate force and repression. That's why everybody is so compliant here, the wage of non-compliance is joblessness, low social class and destitution.

Democracy is a fiction, it has no power to resolve any moderately painful issue society faces.
Democrats or Republicans, it's little more than a circus to calm people down, both party' policies are very consistent in everything that really matters. American politicians represent very narrow class segment of the American population (and they serve even narrower interests that launched them in power), it doesn't matter whom you vote for, any political force (non existent for time being) that has a tiny chance to challenge status quo is marginalized and eliminated long before election date. That's why it's extremely important for the ruling oligarchies to appeal to elections and voting "the bums" out (to be replaced with different set of the identical bums).

For Americans, oligarchical political, power & economic arrangements are natural and the only possible if not sacred. Unfortunately for Ukraine, it has issues that managed democracy cannot resolve. Issue #1, former common property of the Soviet State is not split between clans to anybody' satisfaction. While all strata of Ukrainians accept the idea that oligarchy, private property and market economy are the way to get "prosperity" going, the burning issue of who'll be a master and who'll be a slave is not settled yet. Most believe it's because wrong people got to the wealth trough first, grabbed disproportionate share of the former common wealth, and rigged the rules of the game without regard to the less successful ones. Technically, whatever happens in Ukraine is not a revolution. Both "revolutionaries" and "dictators" are OK with current social order, it's just that "revolutionaries" want to fill it with "better"people who will not use their position of power to grab more wealth for themselves. It's naive, at best. Accumulation of capital and splitting pristine North American continent between private parties was not made by saints thinking of "common good".

Yanukovich, being a low level thug launched into presidency, have been preoccupied with enriching himself, his family and his clan utilizing state repressive machinery and old-fashioned mob (both entities are increasingly hard to distinguish). Unfortunately, for him, he did that without regard to anybody' else "fair" share of the loot. People of means got increasingly worried.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:58 PM

647 posts, read 797,438 times
Kiev after the protests

http://i.imgur.com/St3PGlL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bUCew0o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IJZWKb5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NqgMb8a.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-26-2014 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 01-27-2014, 05:27 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Several official buildings have been captured during the night, including the Centre for Ukrainian culture and the Ministry of Justice. The demonstrators are building even higher barricades and using fire hydrants to deliberately freeze streets to make them more difficult to traverse.

I don't think this can be stopped very peacefully anymore.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:32 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,060 times
Well all we see before us is a crash that was destined to happen. Really Mr. Yanukovych must see the reality now. Events are getting away from him. I thought it was interesting that he offered a look at 'constitutional' amendments in this face-off. Alas, not enough. He apparently is not 'maeuvering well in the dnagerous canyons of Ukrianian politics. It appears he has lost all trust. And because of that there is only one course for him and that is to resign. Better for him and better for Ukraine. Governing with truncheons and fists is a horse that won't run. Time to go. All credibility in the government is lost. My fear is he will make a call to Vlad. Vlad knows all the ways in putting in the big crunch when things may not go his way miles away.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 AM

102 posts, read 106,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I don't think this can be stopped very peacefully anymore.
The opposition don't control the most activity of gangs. And just say, we don't know who are they, the opposition can't do it. So I think tomorrow it will be meeting all political powers at Rada, they must be make a decision. In the other way only war and truly liquidation of Ukraine as the country in the today's form.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Ukraine's government resigns as parliament scraps anti-protest laws - CNN.com

"Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych accepted the resignation of Prime Minister Mykola Azarov and his government Tuesday, amid a political crisis fired by violent protests on the country's streets. Azarov and his Cabinet will continue in their roles until a new government is formed, a notice on the presidential website said."

Good.
Now let the opposition reps join the government and start crunching numbers.
Probably then everyone will figure out what Ukrainian economy is all about.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,060 times
Quote:
Good.
Now let the opposition reps join the government and start crunching numbers.
Probably then everyone will figure out what Ukrainian economy is all about.
It will be very interesting to see then how negotiations go. I hope civil war is not in both their imaginations/calculations. As for the economy, I'd say it is of course a legitimate topic but other fish are being fried as well in this standoff. The handling of the economy all stems from how Ukrainian political aspirations go. They carry a very heavy basket of things to wade and decide through.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:46 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
It will be very interesting to see then how negotiations go. I hope civil war is not in both their imaginations/calculations. As for the economy, I'd say it is of course a legitimate topic but other fish are being fried as well in this standoff. The handling of the economy all stems from how Ukrainian political aspirations go. They carry a very heavy basket of things to wade and decide through.
If it were that easy. There are important factors involved, such as country's historic economic background, absence of utterly attractive options for today's investors ( read natural resources,) Ukraine' s infrastructure and so on. So there are more objective factors that need to be looked at and adressed realistically speaking, other than "political aspirations."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe