Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 04:08 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,561,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Unfortunately, this is a fight between brothers. Stupid and sad.
I see it the same way, but then remember that this was the reason behind the downfall of Kievan Rus to begin with - a fight between brothers, when Russian princes couldn't come to agreement and that's how they were overrun by Tatars. Russian princes kept on fighting with each other even under the Tatar domination, until prince of Moscow was shrewd enough to get Tatar's backing and that's how he could consolidate power in his hands and then to (successfully) turn against Tatars after that.

Last edited by erasure; 02-04-2014 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 11:03 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,237,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Or are you pretending here that you've never heard of such thing?
Titular nation in Russia are the Slavs. Russian language - is a Slavic language. Slavs make up 80% of the population. But at the same Slavic Haplogroup R1a1 only 47%. This is a very big difference. It arose because of active assimilation Slavic peoples of the Russian Plain during the last 1300 years, and it is not the government's position, but a reality.

Yes, there are problems with people from the Caucasus republics and Central Asia, but they caused more criminal element. Residents of these republics come without education and culture come into criminal gangs that annoys people. This is a big problem for Russia.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Titular nation in Russia are the Slavs. Russian language - is a Slavic language. Slavs make up 80% of the population. But at the same Slavic Haplogroup R1a1 only 47%.
Oh no,
not the haplogroups.
I am on the wrong thread.
I didn't know that Saxonwold was kicking off in Kiev.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Oh no,
not the haplogroups.
I am on the wrong thread.
I didn't know that Saxonwold was kicking off in Kiev.
Sorry, did not understand what you mean.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I see it the same way, but then remember that this was the reason behind the downfall of Kievan Rus to begin with - a fight between brothers, when Russian princes couldn't come to agreement and that's how they were overrun by Tatars. Russian princes kept on fighting with each other even under the Tatar domination, until prince of Moscow was shrewd enough to get Tatar's backing and that's how he could consolidate power in his hands and then to (successfully) turn against Tatars after that.
Yes, it is. But nationalism is not to blame.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Sorry, did not understand what you mean.
No more "haplogroups" for me.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
No more "haplogroups" for me.

Yes, also do not like them, but I do not know how else to show that the Slavs assimilated with other peoples without problems.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
RIGHT NOW!

Protesters tried to assault the police with fireworks and set fire on items, but the police retaliated.

Live stream from street level (when working) at street level: Channel9000.net/svoboda2

YES FOR UKRAINE, YES FOR EUROPE!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
RIGHT NOW!

Protesters tried to assault the police with fireworks and set fire on items, but the police retaliated.

Live stream from street level (when working) at street level: Channel9000.net/svoboda2

YES FOR UKRAINE, YES FOR EUROPE!
And yes for IMF loan then, I suppose...
But isn't IMF is something that's responsible for Ukraine's today situation?
I was well aware what took place in Russia back in the nineties, but I didn't know much about Ukraine.
Although looking at their billionaires, their money kept in Western banks and widespread poverty and social injustice, I should have guessed...
Well, I am not guessing any longer.

"One of the major criticisms leveled by Mr. Pakhomov against the IMF is that the core policies supported by the Fund- the so-called "Washington consensus"- are "destructive." Mr. Pakhomov cites as evidence the "actual impact" of those policies on the developing countries of Asia, Africa and Latin America, as well as on transition economies."

"Mr. Pakhomov does not elaborate on what specific aspects of these policies cause the "damage." In his interview, there are cryptic references to: (i) demonetization of the economy as a result of tight macroeconomic policy, which "primarily destroys expenditures on science;" (ii) over-reliance on "shock-therapy," while ignoring political and social factors and constraints; (iii) disintegration of the state as a result of liberalization and privatization; (iv) widespread corruption and theft, also in the wake of liberalization and privatization; (v) neglect of income distribution problems and social issues in general. "

The IMF and Ukraine: What Really Happened, A Commentary by Lorenzo Figliuoli and Bogdan Lissovolik, IMF Resident Representatives in Ukraine

Don't know about "developing countries of Asia, Africa and Latin America," but that "shock therapy" - mmm...sounds amazingly familiar.
So basically the same fate befall Ukraine as it befall Russia in the nineties, only the consequences turned out to be somewhat different because Russia has gas/oil.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Pics from the last 40 hours or so. Credits in brackets.

Spoiler

(unknown)

(unknown)

(Andrew Kravchenko)

(AP Photo/Sergei Chuzavkov)

(Vasily Fedosenko)

("Pipa Surinama") Notice the garbage/ice barricades in plastic bags

("Pipa Surinama")

(unknown)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe