Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 03:36 AM

536 posts, read 323,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
What I don’t understand is are you Polish or German?
That is a good question . Germans come and tell us we are germans . Then Poles come and tell us we are polish . And that basicaly throughout our whole history . And because of that I have both polish and german citizenships . So technically I am both or neither of them . It depends on how you look at it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 03:40 AM

400 posts, read 292,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
That is a good question . Germans come and tell us we are germans . Then Poles come and tell us we are polish . And that basicaly throughout our whole history . And because of that I have both polish and german citizenships . So technically I am both or neither of them . It depends on how you look at it .
You were born in Poland, you grew up in Poland and you live in Poland. However you have some German ancestry is that correct?

Old 05-02-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
You were born in Poland, you grew up in Poland and you live in Poland. However you have some German ancestry is that correct?
This is correct , but not entirely . I am from very specific region of Poland . Kashubia . Kashubians are ethnic minority within Poland like Sorbs in Germany . Kashubians were frontier people throughout its history and used to live in near whole Pomerania . Once Germans started colonize those areas , Kashubians germanized and basicaly became Germans and lutherans . Most of them not all . The ones that did not germanize themselves lived still in the east pomerania and live there till today . After world war 1 the frontier divided those people on both sides of polish-german border . They speak kashubian language that is very differential and has about 70 dialects on such very small area . Kashubians from north would not be able to understand kashubians from south for example . Where I live this language has a lot words of german origin and most people there have german surnames and with this region being very mixed with Kashubians and Germans living next to each other for centuries many of people there had some german ancestry , that is why those people were put on the deutsche volksliste when Germany annexed the rest of pommerania /prussia from Poland and served in German army . Because they were on the deutsche volksliste which meant in the law that, they were germans living abroad of Germany's border , they were granted german citizenships . Of course the ones that lived on the german side of the border already had those citizenships . After war almost all germans got expelled and poles came in their place . Kashubians were treated as an uncertain element and were persecuted and were supposed to be polonized . After the fall of communism , Kashubians can freely enjoy their rights and are ethnic minority in Poland with their language having regional status .

Last edited by WestPreussen; 05-02-2018 at 05:01 AM..

Old 05-02-2018, 04:15 AM

400 posts, read 292,773 times
Quote:
This is correct , but not entirely . I am from very specific region of Poland . Kashubia . Kashubians are ethnic minority within Poland like Sorbs in Germany . Kashubians were frontier people throughout its history and used to live in near whole Pomerania . Once Germans started colonize those areas , Kashubians germanized and basicaly became Germans and lutherans . Most of them not all . The ones that did not germanize themselves lived still in the east pomerania and live there till today . After world war 1 the frontier divided those people on both sides of polish-german border . They speak kashubian language that is very differential and has about 70 dialects on such very small area . Kashubians from north would not be able to understand kashubians from south for example . Where I live this language has a lot words of german origin and most people there have german surnames and with this region being very mixed with Kashubians and Germans living next to each other for centuries many of people there had some german ancestry , that is why those people were put on the deutsche volksliste and served majorly in German army . Because they were on the deutsche volksliste which meant in the law that, they were germans living abroad of Germany's border , they were granted german citizenships . Of course the ones that lived on the german side of the border already had those citizenships . After war almost all germans got expelled and poles came in their place . Kashubians were treated as an uncertain element and were persecuted and were supposed to be polonized . After the fall of communism , Kashubians can freely enjoy their rights and are ethnic minority in Poland with their language having regional status .
Ok I understand. Thank you.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Ok I understand. Thank you.
No problem .

To Erasure . I see that i did not put the link there . So here you go http://www.imdb.com/list/ls058785257/

Here are the actors from rural midwest and small towns (There are their birthplaces listed ) from midwest , like Clark Gable , Paul Newman , Tippi Hedren , James Dean , Jessica Lange , Jessica Biel and many others . I could not find a single one of fully german descend . As I said , I do not think it is coincidence . Most of people even from rural areas are of mixed ancestry .

Last edited by WestPreussen; 05-02-2018 at 05:14 AM..

Old 05-02-2018, 05:56 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Are you trying to sound mildly insulting Easthome?
Because not only I hail from "Eastern Europe," but from the very heart of the evil Empire. (But then, again, you already know that by now.)
And I have little to do with "Nazi Aryan race rubbish," because you see, the difference is that Nazi theory ascribes the VALUE to racial/ethnic groups.
I don't do such thing.
I totally dig the line "In Christ, there is no Jew or Greek"; I totally get it, so...
as they used to say ( or rather sing ) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLyiKeCLBf4
No not trying to insult, just amazed that there are still people on here that have what is quite frankly 'Victorian' views when it comes to race or nationality, I have noticed that the Eastern Europeans I work with and many that post on here are still nationalistic and in some cases racist when it comes to genetics. For a start I don't think you have any idea at how mixed 21st Century populations are and to claim that Germans are 'good farmers' because they are German and somehow genetically 'different' is ludicrous to say the least! My daughter and my sister have both done Ancestry DNA tests, both are born and bred in the UK (about 20 miles apart), one is black, one is white, both sound alike, both are very 'British' in their behaviour DUE TO THEIR BRITISH UPBRINGING AND NOT DUE TO THEIR GENETICS, both have DNA from not only across Europe but from further afield, both are as British (specifically English) as Fish and Chips and football yet STILL (some) people seem to believe that the English are some kind of pure bred 'Anglo Saxon' race, its ridiculous! The only Germans that make 'good farmers' are Germans that make 'good farmers' you don't have to be Russian to dance like a Cossack, you don't have to be Jamaican to make good reggae music! What makes a 'difference' in people is their up-bringing and not their genetics.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:27 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
This is how I see it, a persons genetic make up is like a computer’s hardware and the culture that a person subscribes to is like the computer’s operating system. The hardware will determine some very important characteristics such as its speed, memory etc. but the computer will still be identified by its operating system first and foremost. However a computer can change its operating system. Now with humans it’s hard to change their culture especially if they are intrenched in it, unlike computers you can’t just wipe a persons memory and thus cultural operating system, however their children when born are a clean slate and theoretically they can absorb any culture, however they usually are heavily influenced by their parents. Now a proof that people can change their identity on whim is when a person converts to another religion. Also for those that believe that a persons genetics determines their fate should look into meme theory and how it helps explain how cultures are created and take root. Of course it’s only a theory and not officially accepted but it forms a compelling argument.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:19 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Why should they? European countries are not melting pots like USA, Australia, Brazil. By definition, Denmark is where Danes live and Hungary is where Hungarians live. How is Hungary defined if a majority of its population has non-Hungarian ancestry. It just becomes another meaningless and arbitrary border., of which the world already has plenty.

Melting pot countries chose to be and invited outsiders in. Other countries are not obliged to accept everyone.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Why should they? European countries are not melting pots like USA, Australia, Brazil. By definition, Denmark is where Danes live and Hungary is where Hungarians live. How is Hungary defined if a majority of its population has non-Hungarian ancestry. It just becomes another meaningless and arbitrary border., of which the world already has plenty.

Melting pot countries chose to be and invited outsiders in. Other countries are not obliged to accept everyone.
Its only truth after world war 2 and massive expulsions of populations though . Before that many european countries were multiethnic with many nationalities living next to eachother , which made it very hard to set the borders according to ethnic lines . Look at Poland for example , only after world war 2 Poland became 98 percent of Poles . Before that It had always been multiethnic state . And Hungarians were actualy minority in Hungary before Trianion . It was even more multicultural state than Poland .

Last edited by WestPreussen; 05-03-2018 at 02:52 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 10:42 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
No problem .

To Erasure . I see that i did not put the link there . So here you go http://www.imdb.com/list/ls058785257/

Here are the actors from rural midwest and small towns (There are their birthplaces listed ) from midwest , like Clark Gable , Paul Newman , Tippi Hedren , James Dean , Jessica Lange , Jessica Biel and many others . I could not find a single one of fully german descend . As I said , I do not think it is coincidence . Most of people even from rural areas are of mixed ancestry .
No it's not.
That's why we need to look into their birthplaces closer;

William Frawley

Burlington, Iowa 25,663

"Burlington was a bustling river port in the steamboat era and a central city to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. The "Burlington Route" (1848–1970) merged into the Burlington Northern Railroad (1970–1996), which in turn merged into the BNSF Railway (1997–present). The "Burlington" name has been given to one of the United States' largest railroads. One of BNSF's main east-west lines still crosses the Mississippi at Burlington. In the late twentieth century, retail expanded with suburbanization of the population."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burlington,_Iowa

Although Iowa seems to be full of German settlers, this particular city is not agricultural one, and hence it comes as a mixed kind of place in terms of population.

Clark Gable
Cadiz, Ohio
3,353 population?
"Early industry was based on agriculture and processing farm products"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadiz,_Ohio

Yep, our kind of place ( i.e. small agricultural town,) and German heritage pops up here;

"William Clark Gable was born on February 1, 1901 in Cadiz, Ohio, to Adeline (Hershelman) and William Henry Gable, an oil-well driller. He was of German, Irish, and Swiss-German descent."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Gable

Vivian Vance

Cherrivale, Kansas 2,367

Small place, but a lot of factories and a lot of Anglo-names around.

THE HISTORY OF CHERRYVALE, KANSAS

So no German heritage.

Betty White

White Park Illinois 51,878

Not a small agricultural town

Dick Martin

Battle Creek, Michigan about 52, 000

"Following removal of the Potawatomi to a reservation, the first permanent white settlements in Battle Creek Township began about 1831. Migration had increased to Michigan from New York and New England following the completion of the Erie Canal in New York in 1824."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Creek,_Michigan

Judy Garland

Grand Rapids Michigan - about 188,000

"A historic furniture-manufacturing center, Grand Rapids is home to five of the world's leading office furniture companies, and is nicknamed Furniture City."
NOT agricultural and NOT German place; its history is full of French and Anglo-names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Rapids,_Michigan

Marlon Brando

Omaha, Nebraska

Largest city of the state, with about 400,000 population

"The economy of Omaha boomed and busted through its early years. Omaha was a stopping point for settlers and prospectors heading west, either overland or via the Missouri River. The steamboat Bertrand sank north of Omaha on its way to the goldfields in 1865. Its massive collection of artifacts is on display at the nearby Desoto National Wildlife Refuge. The jobbing and wholesaling district brought new jobs, followed by the railroads and the stockyards.[35]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha,_Nebraska

Nope, not "agricultural" place yet again.

Alice Ghostley

Eve, Missouri

Now Eve is apparently a small place, incorporated into Vernon county in Missouri

This is what this county is all about, according to Wiki:

"The county was developed for agriculture and is still largely rural."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve,_Missouri

Hhmmm... SMALL, agricultural, rural...let's see here..
Scroll down, and look at the map, what language was predominatly spoken in that particular county)).

In search of Missouri's German legacy | KBIA

(Here is more from the same site BTW -

"The city of Hermann is considered the center of German culture in Missouri, but the language once spoken throughout this area mostly lives on in rural, isolated areas. Terry and his wife run a farm outside the town of McKittrick, Mo., in Montgomery County, just north of Hermann. He grew up on a farm, too. Most of the German-speaking Missourians in this area were winemakers and farmers. That’s where he first started picking up the language in phrases like "it's time to milk the cows."

Now how could the Anglo have been born in German place, I have no idea, but it looks like her small town was incorporated into Vernon county)))

Now who is next?..

Paul Newman?

Born in Shaker Heights, Ohio - at about 28,000

"Shaker Heights was a planned community developed by the Van Sweringen brothers, railroad moguls who envisioned the community as a suburban retreat from the industrial inner city of Cleveland."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaker_Heights,_Ohio

Nope, not agricultural, not German.

Next..

Dick York

Fort Wayne, Indiana -about 419, 000

"Fort Wayne was built in 1794 by the United States Army under the direction of American Revolutionary War general Anthony Wayne, the last in a series of forts built near the Miami village of Kekionga.[15] Named in Wayne's honor, the European-American settlement developed at the confluence of the St. Joseph, St. Marys, and Maumee rivers as a trading post for pioneers.[16] The village was platted in 1823 and underwent tremendous growth after completion of the Wabash and Erie Canal and advent of the railroad.[16] Once a booming manufacturing town located in what became known as the Rust Belt, Fort Wayne's economy in the 21st century is based upon distribution, transportation and logistics, healthcare, professional and business services, leisure and hospitality, and financial services.[17] The city is a center for the defense industry which employs thousands.[18]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Wayne,_Indiana

So self-explanatory and no German settlements either.

Tippi Hedren

New Ulm, population about 13, 000

NOW we are talking;

"The city was founded in 1854[9] by the German Land Company of Chicago. The city was named after the city of Neu-Ulm in the state of Bavaria in southern Germany.[10] Ulm and Neu-Ulm are sister cities, with Ulm being situated on the Baden-Württemberg side and Neu-Ulm on the Bavarian side of the Danube river. In part due to the city's German heritage, it is a center for brewing in the Upper Midwest, home to the August Schell Brewing Company."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ulm,_Minnesota

"Hedren was born on January 19, 1930,[2] in New Ulm, Minnesota, to Bernard Carl and Dorothea Henrietta (née Eckhardt) Hedren.[3] For much of her career, Hedren's year of birth was reported as 1935.[4][5][3][6][7] In 2004, however, she acknowledged that she was actually born in 1930 (which is consistent with the birth registration index at the Minnesota Historical Society).[2] Her paternal grandparents were Swedish immigrants, while her maternal ancestry is German and Norwegian."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tippi_Hedren

Well sorry to say, Germans share Minnesota with the Scandies ( both Norwegians and Swedes,) same ( or even more) than in Wisconsin.
(But you already see at least partial German heritage in this case.)

Gena Rowlands

Madison, Wisconsin - capitol of the state, 450,000

Not an agricultural place.

James Dean

Marion, Indiana about 29,000

"Marion grew slowly for more than 50 years as an agricultural trading center supported by a sprinkling of small farm- and forest-related industries. Native Americans were a common sight as they wandered in from Indiana's last reservation, with its Indian school, Baptist Church, and cemetery, 8 miles (13 km) away.
In the 1880s, fields of natural gas were discovered across much of east-central Indiana, and Grant County began to grow at a dizzying pace. Gas City and Matthews were carved out of raw farmland and launched as speculative boom towns, each absorbing existing tiny villages. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion,_Indiana

Hmm... Farmlands - could it, or could it be...?
I had to check on German presence in Indiana, since I am not familiar with this particular state at all, so here we go;

"Germans formed the largest immigrant group to come to Indiana before the late twentieth century, but they were not as numerous there as in many other states. Germans began a colony at New Harmony in 1814. However, they were gone by 1825, and their land was sold to Robert Owen and a group of British utopians."
So yet again self-explanatory.

James Tolkan

Calumet, Michigan

"Calumet (/ˌkæljuːˈmɛt/ KAL-yoo-MET) is a village in Calumet Township, Houghton County, in the U.S. state of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, that was once at the center of the mining industry of the Upper Peninsula."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calumet,_Michigan

And then we have a lot of Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis for birth places.

Do we need to go any further?

Last edited by erasure; 05-03-2018 at 10:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe