Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 12:02 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
You can add to that the fact that military minds that don't do surveys agree that if Russia were to invade Ukraine the majority of the population would readily support Russian troops. It is speculated that it would not be Russian troops entering Kiev either.
Lol Russian troops heads would be floating down the Dneiper. Hope they aren't stupid enough to try this, I don't think Russia could stand another demographic decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 12:05 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For Russia, the proximity with no buffer region is threatening enough.

It is never about fairness. It is about balance between big powers.

And you didn't answer why Cuba can't voluntarily have missiles of the USSR - shouldn't these countries have the right to make such an agreement? It violated no international laws, did it?
There is no balance to be made with Russia. Russia is a declining regional power with nukes and 2% of the world's population and 3% of the world's economy. It does not compare to the USA much less the "West"

Old 10-02-2017, 11:01 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
There is no balance to be made with Russia. Russia is a declining regional power with nukes and 2% of the world's population and 3% of the world's economy. It does not compare to the USA much less the "West"
That's right, the "declining regional power" has enough of nukes, and that's what keeps the balance.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I know the situation of Crimea quite well, my family is from there, and I'm happy and so is my family that Crimea joined Russia. As far as NATO expansion it's a little bit more tricky. Poland, Baltic states, and Balkans joined NATO because they perceive Russia as a threat, it was Russia's fault for having bad relationships with these countries, and threatening them to not join makes them realize all the more that they need to. Plus Russia has nukes so realistically the US will never go to war with Russia, the worst they can do is blockade the country but Russia still has other over land trade partners such as China if that ever happened, which it wouldn't since that's an act of war. Soft power is much more powerful than hard power, I'd suggest Russia focus on building relationships with neighboring countries rather than threatening them.
Nah, "soft power" is when a country ( Russia in this case) has something different to offer , something other than "money making machine" and oligarchy on top, that sucks up most of that money.
So when it comes to "building relationship with neighboring countries, the "neighboring countries" will prefer in this case the hard cash from "established banking centers" - i.e. the US and Western European countries.
The only "soft power" that Russia still has, is her Slavic legacy, the legacy that Russian culture is really NOT about money, even if for the moment it's being run by the oligarchy.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:35 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
It's conditioning. Especially in MWRs case. When you ask people like that what the solution is you get vague answers usually toeing the same line every time. Russian aggression, oppression of civil rights and whole people such as the Chechens and Georgians. Never mind the fact that Chechen warlords that sprang up in the early 90s were not saints. Never mind that Russian people in Chechneya were brutalized by Chechen thugs mercilessly. Most Russian citizens of Chechnya fled the place in fear of losing their lives. Don't point out the fact that Georgias attack on S Ossetia and Russian peace keepers there was an act of aggression that was unnecessary. There were alternatives but Shakeasswilly had to get results didn't he? Same with Porkochunko and the Kiev regime. They needed to show they were tough to their western masters so they attacked their own people, killing thousands of innocents.
Don’t remember ever mentioning any of these points in any of my posts. If you’re going to talk about me then have the decency to address my points.

If anything you are the one who is blinded by Russian propaganda. Every time someone criticises Russia, you start accusing them of being dumb. Do you have any constructive criticism to give?

Quote:
What I saw in Spain this weekend tells me the EU is no different than Russia when it comes to authoritarian rule. In fact it may be worse. We shall see. Can you imagine the uproar if this had happened in a place like Smolensk? Or Kazan? There would be no end to the "ebil Russians" rhetoric.
I even mentioned the fact that both sides are hypocritical here. Countries will support those who align with their political ideals.

Quote:
People like MWR have what I call brain lock. They just can't see things any other way. Why can't Russia be allowed into NATO? The answer is usually along the lines of they're not like us or some off the wall nonsense. People like Ari are just knee jerk hypocrites with a racist streak to boot, clinging to the past and steeped in hatred.
Oh and what is “the way I should see things� If you read my posts carefully, I said Russia has every right to build a base in Canada or Mexico as long as those countries agree to it, regardless of what the US thinks. That’s what international territory is. The same applies to navigation of waterways.

Quote:
Russia is no worse than any other country out there and in ways it is better. Seems to me America needs little more to go to war than a place to do it. Russia not only needs a place but a good reason.
There are a lot of far worse countries, but a ton of far better ones as well. Russia only competes with the US when it comes to arm production, the rest is chiefly in the US’s favour.
The US is also hardly singular in this regard and there are a number of countries that outperform the US in many disciplines.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:37 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
^ with a view like this there is no point in arguing with you.
Throwing the towel already? I thought you were better than this.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:56 AM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That's right, the "declining regional power" has enough of nukes, and that's what keeps the balance.
Nope. Being able to threaten countries with nukes does not make Russia an equal of the United States. North Korea would otherwise be an equal, as would Pakistan.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Nope. Being able to threaten countries with nukes does not make Russia an equal of the United States. North Korea would otherwise be an equal, as would Pakistan.
Who needs "equal" when all you need is enough of warheads to leave no "winners?"

Old 10-03-2017, 04:26 PM

617 posts, read 538,217 times
Quote:
Well, if no balance to be maid, US will be destroyed by new financial and economical order which Russia and China are about to bring in, dollar will worth nothing and US economy will go into the deepest depression the world has ever seen.
US is doomed, leave now.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:28 PM

617 posts, read 538,217 times
Quote:
Russia ain't threatening anyone, we just kicked fat American ass in Syria big time, and will continue kicking it until it explodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe