Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 02:58 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Don't fight it, just embrace your real heritage and go back to the ugro-finnic and Asiatic roots of the Russian people. I am pretty sure Finnland will take its prodigious sons back, clean them up and knock that supremacist imperial nonsense out of them. As the saying goes “Scratch a Russian and you will find a Tatar”.
Well I'm half Russian half Ukrainian. Both my parents are also half Russian and half Ukrainian. So which should I embrace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 03:53 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Ukrainian Patriots winning hearts and minds.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fed_...G2q5VshuPia.99

Sometimes you really need to just throw in the towel.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Well I'm half Russian half Ukrainian. Both my parents are also half Russian and half Ukrainian. So which should I embrace?
I can claim Slavic ancestry on my fathers side as way back somebody emigrated from the area of what is today Bialystok in the late 1700s, a Swede was also involved. Little is known about them in the family history though. My mom can claim British and dutch ancestry because she had an ancestor who was Pennsylvania Dutch. Apparently she met a British officer in Washington who had helped burn down the White House during the war of 1812. They went to Canada but she didn't like it there and came back to Pennsylvania, or so the story goes.

Where are your ancestors from Greg? My ancestry is it seems Scandanavian/North European it seems because that's where the majority of my ancestors come from.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I can claim Slavic ancestry on my fathers side as way back somebody emigrated from the area of what is today Bialystok in the late 1700s, a Swede was also involved. Little is known about them in the family history though. My mom can claim British and dutch ancestry because she had an ancestor who was Pennsylvania Dutch. Apparently she met a British officer in Washington who had helped burn down the White House during the war of 1812. They went to Canada but she didn't like it there and came back to Pennsylvania, or so the story goes.

Where are your ancestors from Greg? My ancestry is it seems Scandanavian/North European it seems because that's where the majority of my ancestors come from.
Well my dad was born in Chornomorske and so was his dad and his paternal grandma. My dads paternal grandpa is from Kerson oblast. My dad's mom and maternal grandma is from a small village outside of Korosten. I don't know where my dad's maternal grandpa is from but I think he is either from eastern Ukraine or Russia, but not sure, but I know that in WWII he got separated from the family and got remarried and moved to Astrakhan.

My mom was born in Krasnyi Luch and her dad was an orphan from Irkutsk oblast and her mom I think was somewhere from eastern Ukraine, I also know they had some family members from Kiev and Volgograd.

Other than that I don't know much more.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:47 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Obviously culturally you are Russian, as artificial as that identity might be, so you should embrace your finno ugric and asiatic heritage tweaked by Germans and other European adventurers into a new megalomaniacal identity that has very little in common even with 17th century Muscovy (except despotism, treachery and thievery). Your ukrainian slavic ancestry did not impact you much.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:55 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,587,635 times
Quote:

Assuming there was somebody from Bialostok area in your blood line back in those ancient times most likely it was a Polish Jew.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Obviously culturally you are Russian, as artificial as that identity might be, so you should embrace your finno ugric and asiatic heritage tweaked by Germans and other European adventurers into a new megalomaniacal identity that has very little in common even with 17th century Muscovy (except despotism, treachery and thievery). Your ukrainian slavic ancestry did not impact you much.
And what is your heritage? What makes you such an expert on this topic? What are the biggest cultural differences between Russians and Ukrainians besides language?

Old 10-14-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Oh, I always just assumed you had Russian heritage due to your pro Russian attitudes. So you are an American of Nordic heritage? That’s interesting, do you have any connections to Russia? What got you interested in Russia?

Old 10-14-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Assuming there was somebody from Bialostok area in your blood line back in those ancient times most likely it was a Polish Jew.
Not likely, there's no evidence of the Jewish/Yiddish religion in the history but there is Roman Catholicism so it's most likely Polish. There is also Orthodox Christian if I remember correctly.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Oh, I always just assumed you had Russian heritage due to your pro Russian attitudes. So you are an American of Nordic heritage? That’s interesting, do you have any connections to Russia? What got you interested in Russia?
Yes, I'm an American. Born in Norway Wisconsin and raised largely in Montana.

My second wife was from Gomel Belarus. She came to America in the early 90s. She took care of my company's travel arrangements and I started going to Russia in 1994, regularly until 2008. I know people there and since we raised 2 daughters together one of them has a father in Moscow.

I care little for all the ignorance in the west concerning Russia. Russian people are like anyone else on level playing field and damn better when it comes to weathering hardship and adversity. I also deeply resent the fact that the system I live in (which is supposed to be the best ever) goes to such great lengths to distort the truths. I love Russia, it's a great country no better or worse than the one I currently live in realistically. Currently from where I'm standing (at this time) Russia is a lot more respectable citizen of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe